CPU fall-back bug in 4.12 - Anyone know when Daz is going to fix it?

bradassociatesbradassociates Posts: 106

The issue with Daz 4.12 is a bug in it that causes CPU fall-back.   I've read many posts in this forum about this issue with solutions suggested being simply checking the GPU box in the advanced render settings, updating the drivers on one's GPU (thereby implying it's an issue with GPUs) and the like.  I've found that none of these work.

What is frustrating is putting a lot of time in researching which GPU is best, then, sinking a lot of bucks into acquiring and installing one only to learn the new release of Daz renders (no pun intended) all of the time and cost for a new GPU meaningless.

Thundorn has a good YouTube video on this is issue with some good advice:

Does Daz have any plans to fix this faulty error in future releases?  Is there a patch available that might help?

Post edited by bradassociates on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,429
    edited April 2020

a) this is mainly down to nVidia, the developers of Iray

b) The Public Builds have had some chnages to address dropping to GPU unexpectedly in animatins, when the first frame (or a static render) don't have issues

c) the version of Iray in the current Public Build has a new mode designed to help with memory use

d) however, the minimum driver versions have advanced.

I don't know if this addresses any of your concerns since you didn't put them in the post.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • bradassociatesbradassociates Posts: 106
    edited April 2020

b) The Public Builds have had some chnages to address dropping to GPU unexpectedly in animatins, when the first frame (or a static render) don't have issues

c) the version of Iray in the current Public Build has a new mode designed to help with memory use

I don't know if this addresses any of your concerns since you didn't put them in the post.

Thank you for the reply.  Simply, when I render (static) a complex rendering (I only render Iray), the CPU bears most of the memory and processing while the GPU is not being used.   I originally verified this using Microsoft Task Manager, then pursuant to recommendation on this forum, installed GPU-Z, which is a video information card utility.  GPU-Z confirmed the CPU fall-back despite having checked the device box for my GeForce RTX 2060 while unchecking the box for the CPU in the advance rendering settings.   During renderings, my CPU still bears most of the work despite the Daz settings I've checked which indicate it should be otherwise.

I purchased Scene Optimizer to help, and am trying to render in lowREZ whenever I can to help the CPU process the scene.   So if there is a fix or patch that can rectify the Daz 4.12 bug as explained in the above video, please let me know.  thx.

• bradassociatesbradassociates Posts: 106
    edited April 2020

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

Thank you for the reply.  Simply, when I render (static) a complex rendering (I only render Iray), the CPU bears most of the memory and processing while the GPU is not being used.   I originally verified this using Microsoft Task Manager, then pursuant to recommendation on this forum, installed GPU-Z, which is a video information card utility.  GPU-Z confirmed the CPU fall-back despite having checked the device box for my GeForce RTX 2060 while unchecking the box for the CPU in the advance rendering settings.   During renderings, my CPU still bears most of the work despite the Daz settings I've checked which indicate it should be otherwise.

I purchased Scene Optimizer to help, and am trying to render in lowREZ whenever I can to help the CPU process the scene.   So if there is a fix or patch that can rectify the Daz 4.12 bug as explained in the above video, please let me know.  thx.

You've exceeded the GPU's VRAM. This is just how iRay works there is no bug.

• a) this is mainly down to nVidia, the developers of Iray

Assuming your drivers are not too old for the version of Iray you are using then the issue is almost certainly runnign out of memory in the GPU, not a bug (in Iray, not DS). If even really simple scene drop to CPU then I would strongly suspect it's a driver issue, though you don't say which GPU you have.

The Public Build of DS does have an option to turn CPU fall back off (which means the render will just stop if the GPU drops out).

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

@bradassociates " that can rectify the Daz 4.12 bug"

It's already been stated that the issue is with the Iray engine from Nvidia. Richard has added that the latest "public Build" has a new version of Iray which should fix this" If you aren't clear what the Public Build is, it is the Beta version of Studio 4.12.1.109. Richard has also reminded you that the latest Release version and the Beta have Minimum Iray driver requirements. The driver minimum for 4.12.1.109 is different than the requirement for the current Release (4.12.0.86). Also some of the previous Nvidia driver for the RTX cards had bugs that caused CPU fallback regardless of Vram usage. If you are on Windows 10, it previously had a habit of overwriting Nvidia drivers with a Microsoft driver that was frankly woeful I don't use Windows 10 on my render machine so I do not know if this is the case.

Finally IMO, after watching several of Thundorn's Studio videos, I have concluded that Thundorn's advice is generally not very good and doesn't display a very comprehensive understanding of Studio and particularly Iray.

• vukiolvukiol Posts: 66

2 days that i am fighting with this, no way,

also reinstalled an old image of the system once one who got the problem months ago told me that he didnt find a solution

after 3 versions of drivers, 3 fresh instalation of ds beta and stable, the only solution i found is to use 1 gpu only

probably most of the people using rtx multiple gpu's wont face the issue but with different gpu's mixed, gtx rtx the problem is more common

the only thing i didnt tried is to switch slots

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805
    vukiol said:

2 days that i am fighting with this, no way,

also reinstalled an old image of the system once one who got the problem months ago told me that he didnt find a solution

after 3 versions of drivers, 3 fresh instalation of ds beta and stable, the only solution i found is to use 1 gpu only

probably most of the people using rtx multiple gpu's wont face the issue but with different gpu's mixed, gtx rtx the problem is more common

the only thing i didnt tried is to switch slots

Sounds like either a hardware failing, bad slot or the like, or something wrong in Windows. When only one person has a problem in something others use successfully then the problem is almost always elsewhere in the system.

• a) this is mainly down to nVidia, the developers of Iray

And what if I am experiencing this CPU fallback on an empty scene with nothing to render? How can I possibly be exceeding my 11GB of 2080ti VRAM when the scene is empty or has a single cube primitive, and it still falls back to CPU?

• megaworm said:

And what if I am experiencing this CPU fallback on an empty scene with nothing to render? How can I possibly be exceeding my 11GB of 2080ti VRAM when the scene is empty or has a single cube primitive, and it still falls back to CPU?

Have you done all the trouble shooting steps? Updated your graphics driver? Checked the Nvidia control panel to make sure the DS can use CUDA? Checked the DS log for what the error message says?

• RobinsonRobinson Posts: 751
    edited September 2020

I got this the other day with an 18 frame series.  When I woke up the next morning I was suprised to see it still rendering.  It had fallen back to CPU around frame 18 of a 25 frame set.  I also get BSOD and hangs when using Iray, but usually only when I have filtering (denoiser) enabled on scenes that are quite big (my resolution is 3840x1200).  I have a 2070, so 8Gb. 

Post edited by Robinson on
  • fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,562

There's no way a normally opperating RTX 2060 would refuse to render an empty scene in Iray or drop to CPU. Is the card seated properly?

Either the card is faulty or there's a problem within the OS. I'd re-install Windows and start from scratch... a PITA I know.