building a dedicated rendering computer.

I normally use daz3d on my old laptop which has a i7 7700hq 4 core processor 12 gb ram and a gtx 1060 3gb graphics card. I have been failing to get a decent non grainy render in a office setting which has a lot of complex lights and my old laptop just couldnt do it only able to do 1400 iray itterations in 12 hours. I did a test render on my desktop which has a i7 9700k 8 core processor 16 gb ram and a rtx 2070 8 gb graphics card and it was able to do 1500 iterations in about 30 minutes. the picture is still grainy so ill try for 15000 iterations before I go to bed but I am thinking about building a dedicated daz3d computer.

if I am looking to render even complex I ray pictures in 2880 by 2560 resloultion in lets say under 3 hours  what should I buy? would a I5 9600k 6 core processor be good or should I get another i7 9700k 8 core processor or would a amd processor with more cores be better? I heard that for graphics cards you need to get a good nvida based one but should I get like a used gtx 1070 or 1080 or should I get a new gtx 1660 or rtx 2060 or another rtx 2070? also what about ram should I go for the gaming staple of 16 or would 32 gb be worth the cost? 

Comments

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

Your best bet would be to add more RTX cards into your existing desktop along with a strong enough power supply for the added video card(s)

Since you already have an 8GB GPU, that should be the minimum size for any extras you add.  If you add 1 extra RTX 2070 it will cut the render time on that 1500 itteration job to 15 or 16 min.  Now if you add something with more power like a RTX 2080 Super that same 1500 itteration job may only take 10 min.

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805
    JamesJAB said:

Your best bet would be to add more RTX cards into your existing desktop along with a strong enough power supply for the added video card(s)

Since you already have an 8GB GPU, that should be the minimum size for any extras you add.  If you add 1 extra RTX 2070 it will cut the render time on that 1500 itteration job to 15 or 16 min.  Now if you add something with more power like a RTX 2080 Super that same 1500 itteration job may only take 10 min.

This is teh ideal choice. However it may not be possible. If your system is a prebuilt one it may not have a PCIE slot for an additional GPU. You'll need to check the inside to see.

• I could upgrade my current gaming rig but than I have to just sit there when ever I render something. I would much rather just set my render to do its thing and go play on my pc for a while to pass the time.

JamesJAB said:

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

In that case you'd likely want something like the 2070 or 2070 Super. You do not need a powerful CPU just for iRay rendering. Unless you know what you're doing and can overclock your CPU don't bother with a 'k' SKU Intel CPU get either the 'f' or just the plain CPU (like the 9600). You'll save some money. You can also skip the Z390 motherboard for a cheaper alternative. 

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,301

Make your 3d scene then save it and go play your game and when you are ready for bed turn up your PC and graphics card fans to high and set your PC to render it overnight.

I agree, if you can get a better RTX graphics card and make it work, start there. You may need to buy new ram too.