MD The Orc Village (Commercial)

MikeDMikeD Posts: 291

This is the ideal environment for your fantasy scenes with Orcs, Minotaur, Ogres, Trolls, Goblins, Reptilians, or even Elves and Humans. The village lays in a valley of approximately 150m (x) 150m.

The village represents the Wild boar clan. The set includes the village set itself and five different huts, one warchief hut, a throne for the warchief, watchtowers, a large outside torch and a totem as separate sets. The structures are made of clay, wood, fabric and rope mainly. All these sets are modular so you can use any component you want or delete the ones you don’t want in your scene. Even though the whole village has some millions of polygons the extensive use of instances makes the village set extremely light for your renders (500.000 polygons for the whole set). For all the sets, only one copy of each basic raw material is a loaded prop and instances of this prop are used for the rest of the scene. In this way the payload is minimum for your PC. A script is responsible for controlling the intensity of all the flames at once on the torches, and even turning them on/off. Another script controls the visibility (only for the viewport) of the bushes in the village, so you can hide them to navigate easily in the scene, having a lot less nodes visible, or show them again to make the final adjustments.

Don't forget to set the "Render Settings/Optimization/Instancing Optimization" to Memory for best render results!!!

I hope you 'll enjoy The Orc Village!

MDOV_Main_Promo.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 1M
MDOV_Promo_01.jpg
1500 x 2000 - 2M
MDOV_Promo_05.jpg
1500 x 1125 - 2M
MDOV_Promo_07.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 2M
MDOV_Promo_09.jpg
1500 x 1125 - 2M
Post edited by MikeD on

Comments

• SigurdSigurd Posts: 1,084

Wow! That was pretty ambitious.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,896

Well, I'm definitely getting it.

I'm realizing most similar content I have is dated and much more limited. Good job!

• Very nice set Mike.

Def going to buy this as soon as it comes out 

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,075

That will be an insta buy. I really like to care with instances and material loading to keep the load as light as possible. A useful environment.

• Eggs ActlyEggs Actly Posts: 168

Definitely a must buy for me - and render-friendly too yes

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762

A bit tidier than I would expect from Orcs, and the pallisade/barricade system seems to serve no point with all the wide openings and no apparent gates, but the huts and inner structures look really nice.  I'll need to see a few more angles to make up my mind, but this is a probable quick pickup. 

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,252
    Cybersox said:

the pallisade/barricade system seems to serve no point with all the wide openings and no apparent gates

Didn’t you ever play Warhammer 40K? The barricades work because the orcs believe they work. 

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762
    Gordig said:
    Cybersox said:

the pallisade/barricade system seems to serve no point with all the wide openings and no apparent gates

Didn’t you ever play Warhammer 40K? The barricades work because the orcs believe they work. 

And how well does that usually work out for the Orcs in your games? 

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,252
    Cybersox said:
    Gordig said:
    Cybersox said:

And how well does that usually work out for the Orcs in your games? 

Surprisingly well. The red ones really DO go faster. 

• Epic82Epic82 Posts: 126

I just happened to search for "tribal huts" in the Forums section here, hoping that someone has asked for a new primitive village for Iray. To my surprise, I came across this thread, and I'm truly excited by what I see! This is exactly what I've hoped someone would make ever since I started working with Daz Studio. I hope this will be released some time soon. I'll definitely purchase it instantly!

• MikeDMikeD Posts: 291

The "Orc Village" is out ... don't forget to set the "Render Settings/Optimization/Instancing Optimization" to Memory for best render results!!!

• alienareaalienarea Posts: 511
    MikeD said:

The "Orc Village" is out ... don't forget to set the "Render Settings/Optimization/Instancing Optimization" to Memory for best render results!!!

What will it do? Currently rendering a scene with the totem and some jungle backgrounds. I case you're on DeviantArt I'll post it later today (DeviantArt user alienarea2).

edited May 2020
    alienarea said:
    MikeD said:

What will it do? Currently rendering a scene with the totem and some jungle backgrounds. I case you're on DeviantArt I'll post it later today (DeviantArt user alienarea2).

DAZ Studio can load the instances as nodes (speed mode) or keep them as instances (memory mode). In the second choice it only load each node once in the GPU. The Auto mode also makes the work most of the time but not always...

Post edited by MikeD on
  • alienareaalienarea Posts: 511
    MikeD said:
    alienarea said:
    MikeD said:

DAZ Studio can load the instances as nodes (speed mode) or keep them as instances (memory mode). In the second choice it only load each node once in the GPU. The Auto mode also makes the work most of the time but not always...

Thank you. The set is really huge

• Crashes my pc, both of them actually. 1) HP 590 12 gb shared memory, cpu only. 2) Dell XPS circa 2009 model not a strong video card. The XPS can do a iray drawing style on one hut but crashes on whole scene even after hiding many of the tree and bush incidences. 

artinstead_8519dc488a said:

Crashes my pc, both of them actually. 1) HP 590 12 gb shared memory, cpu only. 2) Dell XPS circa 2009 model not a strong video card. The XPS can do a iray drawing style on one hut but crashes on whole scene even after hiding many of the tree and bush incidences.

Does it crash your PC during loading or scene manipulating or during a Render?

If the problem is in renders, try to memory optimize the scene for instances (Render Settings Tab/Optimization/Instancing Optimization -> Memory).

Are you using the latest DS version? It is known that some previous version of DS (10.someting) crashes the scene if there are a lot of nodes in an item.

• Absolutely destroys Daz when the buildings are added to the scene. Aweful. 

• I was looking for a small village and foud yours. I love everything about it: 1FPS in DAZ viewport, very high-poly ropes, unnecessarily detailed hay on the roofs! Beauty! Your decision to use instances and UltraScatter for some objects does his best: maybe it works in IRay, but COMPLETELY unusable in Octane because all instanced object are "scattered" in random places on the scene. Okay, enough of very poorly optimised geometry and let's talk about textures. 429 textures worth of 1.3Gib!?!?! At least they are not 4K(8K). But the scene still does not fit into my 3060ti and I have to add few Gib from my RAM which slows down rendering. I kindly ask you: when you will be working on your next project - make it less detailed, so poor people with 3060 could render it. Thank you

• How are you lighting this? My renders are looking nothing like the renders in the ad pictures. Mine are looking cartoonish.