Weird Eye Problem

I've come across an issue with a bizarre shadow on the eyes of Genesis 8 females.  It hasn't happened before, but I wonder if anybody knows what might be causing it? It is a black ring on the sclera.  See attached image. I'd be grateful for any advice on how to resolve it.  Other than photoshop which is probably the easiest solution. :)

Eye Problem.png
1920 x 1080 - 4M

Comments

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,798

It looks like an iray bug that can happen when the figure is too far away from the world centre (0,0,0). 

• Amy_BoneAmy_Bone Posts: 45

Thanks, she is dead centre but the camera is way out using a very long focal length, I suppose that might cause the same effect.

Amy_Bone said:

Thanks, she is dead centre but the camera is way out using a very long focal length, I suppose that might cause the same effect.

Apparently that isn't the problem.  Thanks anyway.

• If it isn't fixed by setting instancing optimization to speed or auto then it's something else, looks like bad textures or some cutout opacity, have you used a g3f eye texture instead of a g8f? Looks like you have used 2 different textures for the scelra, which is impossible due to the eye geometry and UV layout.

Only time i've seen something similar is when a morph transfer was used to convert g3f morphs to g8f, it messed up the eye geometry because they are different.

If it isn't fixed by setting instancing optimization to speed or auto then it's something else, looks like bad textures or some cutout opacity, have you used a g3f eye texture instead of a g8f? Looks like you have used 2 different textures for the scelra, which is impossible due to the eye geometry and UV layout.

Only time i've seen something similar is when a morph transfer was used to convert g3f morphs to g8f, it messed up the eye geometry because they are different.

I'm fairly sure I used the character "out of the box" so that shouldn't be an issue.  I'll have to see if I can replcate it or it it's just "one of those glitches."  It was easier on my blood pressure to photoshop it this time. Thanks for the advice though, I'll save it in my troubleshooting file.

• jpetersen1jpetersen1 Posts: 148
    edited April 2020

I'm pretty sure what is happening is that the eye geometry and eye moisture geometry are clobbering each other (especially in high def models).

If you move the eye moisture outwards (in the Shaping Pane or Parameters Pane), it will usually get rid of some or most of the problem. It's not a solution, it's a workaround, but it usually helps.

A similar problem sometimes happens with the hair geometry and the face geometry. A tar-like pattern appears on the forehead. Adjust the hair and you can usually get rid of it.

I don't think it's exactly the same problem as the eye geometry (I think that might have to do with the fineness of the geometry and the rendering process), but both of them create tar-like marks in places you don't want them, so move things a little, see what happens, and find an adjustment that gets rid of it.

Post edited by jpetersen1 on
  • RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,301
    edited April 2020

I have had that happen. Changing eye colors from one figure to another can sometimes fix it. If the figure was moved or rotated back again that can happen. Save the figure or pose as a subset and then replace the geometry with the same figure, that can fix it sometimes.

I have had that happen when I have brought a second figure into the scene and crossed their geometry through one another. I think there is a plus one minus one fractional glitch that throws the eye geometry off.

Replacing the figure or eye geometry can fix this. If the camera is in the same group or some other group that can cause problems too. I have also experimented with the eye color in the surfaces tab to fix this once.

The best way to fix it is to load other eye colors in and then back again and/or replace figure geometry.

Post edited by RexRed on
  • shootybearshootybear Posts: 139
    There's a guy who created a morph to fix this. Search for "sclera" and you should find it. I'm on my cell phone otherwise I would just search myself.