V4 instal

Instalation of V4 and Victoria 4.2 keeps failing.  I've tried doing it manually, but DS says it cant find the support folder (i put the support items in the support folder), so i dont know what's happening - it wont even give me the option to find a path.  also, the items are in the folders, but i cant see them listed, or see the icon in smart content, and nothing whatsoever is showing in content library - as in the content library is completely empty.

Comments

• Which bits did you install? I think that error is from the PowerLoader, when it can't find the /Runtime/Libraries/!DAZ/Victoria 4/ folder created by the core figure installer.

• nightkinnightkin Posts: 194

i installed everything in the folder.  i'll download it again and retry - maybe something accidentally went into the wrong folder.  is there no way to auto install it?  why can't the install manager do it?  also, nothing i install manually can be seen  by the content manager - i have to import everything manually.  btw - i'm using DS 4.12, i assume that means four point twelve?,, so newer than 4.5?

re-installed evrything victoria 4,2 but nothing works, and it still doesnt appear in my smart content.  I must be installing to the wrong place.  my directory path is as follows. Users/Public/Public documents/My DAZ3D Library/Runtime.   should the power loader be somewhere else?

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,393

Install path seems fine.

Can you find V4 if you look in Content Library > Poser formats rather than smart content? V4 predates DS4 so I'm not sure at all she has metadata for smart content.

• Is your runtime folder mapped on the poser side of CDM(content directory manager)?

If not you'll need to add that first.

For Smart content, you may need to reimport the meta-data. Right click on smart content tab or content library tab and select Content DB Maintenance. then tick the Reimport meta-data box, you'll get a list of items for reimportation. Make sure that the V4 meta-data is present and you can either click that or process the entire queue.

I just tested and had to reimport about 3-4 times in a row for it to actually show up.

Be aware that if assets are not in their default file paths, smart content may not be able to find them.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    nightkin said:

is there no way to auto install it?  why can't the install manager do it? 

DIM ought to work. It's Connect — using the install function built into DAZ|Studio itself — that doesn't work with Generation 4 figures, because it doesn't play nice with the way Gen4 figure morphs are set up and installed.

I just realised something from the install path you gave. Are you unzipping from the installer directly into the Runtime folder? Or merging the folders in the installer with the same folders in your Runtime folder? If you do it the wrong way, you're likely to get invisible content as you've described because the content files are one folder too deep and D|S is looking where they ought to be.

nightkin said:

btw - i'm using DS 4.12, i assume that means four point twelve?,, so newer than 4.5?

Yes, program version numbers have never been decimal numbers (it isn't just a DAZ thing, this is all over the computer industry). The numbers in between the points are each a number on its own. Look at the whole version number and you'll see there's four levels of counting.

• You should not have the Runtiem folder in the content directory path.

okay, now i'm confused.  anyway, in spite of content library appearing empty, i am able to find my missing files and load Victoria 4.2 if i search for it by name.  so that's something.  a bit incovenient, but i can live with it.  by the way, i'm not unzipping directly to the directory path - i'm unzipping to my downloads folder, then opening each folder and  moving the contents to the appropriate place in My DAZ 3D Library inside Runtime.  I know some of Daz's content isnt in there, but most of the instals are, so i go with that.  I also have Poser 7, but that's not installed on this laptop - i think things are confused enough as it is.

it's been a couple of years since i used DS and I'm trying to relearn everything.  the latest version is a lot more complex than the old v3.5 I'm used to, but the results using iray are so much better.  I'm still confused by how the light's work in iray though.  it doesnt like skydomes, but i'm finding a way round that.  what i do find a puzzle is shadows.  if i create a new distant light or spotlight, the shadow option is disabled and greyed out, so i have to load a preset -  however, even though shadows are permitted i'm only seeing the default shadow.  coloured spots dont seem to work unless i drop a skydome over the whole scene and turn up luminocity.  thank heavens for lockdown - i'm having fun.

nightkin said:

I'm still confused by how the light's work in iray though.  it doesnt like skydomes, but i'm finding a way round that.  what i do find a puzzle is shadows.  if i create a new distant light or spotlight, the shadow option is disabled and greyed out, so i have to load a preset -  however, even though shadows are permitted i'm only seeing the default shadow.  coloured spots dont seem to work unless i drop a skydome over the whole scene and turn up luminocity.

Did you remember to turn off the default camera headlight and allow for (or turn off) the default Environment light? These can overpower any extra lights you put in a scene and wash out the shadows.

edited April 2020
    nightkin said:

I'm still confused by how the light's work in iray though.  it doesnt like skydomes, but i'm finding a way round that.  what i do find a puzzle is shadows.  if i create a new distant light or spotlight, the shadow option is disabled and greyed out, so i have to load a preset -  however, even though shadows are permitted i'm only seeing the default shadow.  coloured spots dont seem to work unless i drop a skydome over the whole scene and turn up luminocity.

Did you remember to turn off the default camera headlight and allow for (or turn off) the default Environment light? These can overpower any extra lights you put in a scene and wash out the shadows.

I didn't know I could.   How do I do that then?  its okay - just googled it.  .  i would never have guessed  it was done like that.

is there ever going to be a manual for DS?  the latest i could find is for DS 4.5, but it's very basic and totally out of date.

Post edited by nightkin on
  • In the Render Settings pane's Editor tab, under General

nightkin said:
    I didn't know I could.   How do I do that then?  its okay - just googled it.  .  i would never have guessed  it was done like that.

Don't worry too much, you're making a good start. This really is a difficult subject to wrap your brain around, and lighting is one of the trickiest parts of setting up a 3D scene, but it can be mastered. Or at least, fudged enough to look good.  

nightkin said:

is there ever going to be a manual for DS?  the latest i could find is for DS 4.5, but it's very basic and totally out of date.

One thing to keep in mind is that Iray is set up to mimic the behaviour of real light, so if you can pick up a book on lighting for photography, a lot of the same general principles will apply to setting up lighting in your DAZ|Studio scene. Many of the light sets in the store use the same tricks as professional photographers.