How To Keep The Original Clothing Size?

LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,118

Hi everyone!

A thing I've never understood with Daz, is how to keep the original size of a piece of clothing, avoiding the auto-follow/transform that comes with every element of the wardrobe.

A situation I often find me in, is to shrink a figure.
I don't want the clothes to follow that shrinking, instead I'd like them to keep their original size, and then let dForce make its magic.

It's not impossible to give a realistic effect for small changes: I transfer the piece of clothing, then I use Fit Control and I apply dForce.
But, as it shows in the attachment, the results of this method are underwhelming when the size change is noticeable.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for your help!

EDIT: I had forgotten to modify the weight in dForce, you can see the result with all weight filled.
Still, is there any way to keep the true original size?

Cattura.PNG
329 x 606 - 272K
Cattura1.PNG
382 x 682 - 323K
Post edited by LenioTG on

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,205

The clothing should keep it's original size, if you just load it, but make sure it isn't fitted to the character.

But then you also have to sure that whenyou start the simulation that the clothing is not interfering with the character, as this would cause weird results or explosions.

• LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,118
    felis said:

The clothing should keep it's original size, if you just load it, but make sure it isn't fitted to the character.

But then you also have to sure that whenyou start the simulation that the clothing is not interfering with the character, as this would cause weird results or explosions.

Thanks, I've tried that before, and it's damn hard to actually use this method reliably :(

If you're shrinking the character using a morph, I think you can animate it. I.e. having the character at full size when the simulation starts, and then shrink it at maybe frame 10 so the clothing has time to adjust.

I do not think it is possible if you're using the scale vakue.

felis said:

If you're shrinking the character using a morph, I think you can animate it. I.e. having the character at full size when the simulation starts, and then shrink it at maybe frame 10 so the clothing has time to adjust.

I never use the scale value!

If you shrink the character, the clothes always follow it.

• I have a recommendation, if you haven't tried it already: load your male character, put the t-shirt on them, apply dforce, then take that dforce object and drag it over your female character, lining up the arm and neck holes. Then you simulate and the man-sized clothing drapes over the smaller frame. I've attached an example of how it looked for me, I used Dforce Surface Adjuster to make it excessively stretchy and silky for added effect. Hopefully this is useful, I love how your current comic is shaping up. heart

leniotg fitting clothes.png
    1500 x 1000 - 621K
    LenioTG said:
    felis said:

I never use the scale value!

If you shrink the character, the clothes always follow it.

Shrink the character after the simulation has started, e.g. full size at simulation start and then shrink at frame 15 (using animated timeline). Then the clothing will not be affected of any posing or morphs.

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

On a pure Dforce item if you simulate an animation where frame 1 is full size and the character shrinks as part of the animation, you will end up with a nice oversized clothing item.

The potential complication is when you are dealing with an item with weight mapping built in.  In this case the weight mapping will cause parts of the clothing item to conform and shrink with the character. sad

I have a recommendation, if you haven't tried it already: load your male character, put the t-shirt on them, apply dforce, then take that dforce object and drag it over your female character, lining up the arm and neck holes. Then you simulate and the man-sized clothing drapes over the smaller frame. I've attached an example of how it looked for me, I used Dforce Surface Adjuster to make it excessively stretchy and silky for added effect. Hopefully this is useful, I love how your current comic is shaping up. heart

Thank you very much, that's exactly what I'm looking for! :D

I'm very glad you're liking my current comic, for it I've already used the old method with Fit Control and dForce, but I definitely want to learn better methods for my future stories!

But there are two things I've not understood:
    - How to drag the shirt to the other character? If I use the fit to function, it takes the new shape. I guess I should export as a OBJ, or convert to prop? Then there usually are poke-through issues, but there's mesh grabber for that.
    - Do I have to redo everything every time, or can I use the Transfer Utility or something similar to make the shirt permanently sized that way, for the next pages?

For example, I have transferred this tank from a male to Josie, I've used dForce and I like the result.
    But when I use the Transfer Utility, it comes back to the muscular male shape, ignoring the dForce stuff :(

Cattura.PNG
    464 x 646 - 212K

Thank you @felis and @JamesJAB !

My problem is that the start and end figures are of a different gender, so I can't make the transition in a simple timeline with my current knowledge.

Do you know how to then use the Transfer Utility or something similar to make the piece of clothing an actual G8F shirt, that will keep the new size in the future scenes, with different poses?

• LenioTG said:

My problem is that the start and end figures are of a different gender, so I can't make the transition in a simple timeline with my current knowledge.

Do you know how to then use the Transfer Utility or something similar to make the piece of clothing an actual G8F shirt, that will keep the new size in the future scenes, with different poses?

Just adjust the outfit so it goes over the figure without clipping in the opening frame, then reverse the adjustments and apply any additional shaping/adjustments/posing to the figure along the timeline to get the final drape.

LenioTG said:

Just adjust the outfit so it goes over the figure without clipping in the opening frame, then reverse the adjustments and apply any additional shaping/adjustments/posing to the figure along the timeline to get the final drape.

Hi Richard!

Thank you for answering :D

I think I've understood how to do that, but is there any way to make the result a proper piece of clothing, that I'll be able to use in the following scenes?

What I mean is: I'd like to take the shirt from the tall starting male, and apply it to the short final female. So far, it's okay.
    Then, I have problems with the Transfer Utility: when it fits the shirt to the final character, it keeps modifying the shirt shape.

I don't think I understand why you are fitting it to the female? What is the purpose of that?

felis said:

I don't think I understand why you are fitting it to the female? What is the purpose of that?

That's the whole point, she's the one that will use the shirt in the story! :)

So you want to use it as a general clothing item.

Then my suggestion is:

- Load the female in default shape

- Load the shirt unfitted

- Adjust the shirt so it kind of matches with the female, i.e. no pokethrough

- Hide female in scene

- Export shirt as obj

- import shirt

- Transfer rigging, with female as target in morphed in morphed shape

- Load a shirt from your inventory and copy surfaces to your imported shirt

- Save your imported shirt as a clothing for th female

I think that should work.

edited April 2020
    felis said:

So you want to use it as a general clothing item.

Then my suggestion is:

- Load the female in default shape

- Load the shirt unfitted

- Adjust the shirt so it kind of matches with the female, i.e. no pokethrough

- Hide female in scene

- Export shirt as obj

- import shirt

- Transfer rigging, with female as target in morphed in morphed shape

- Load a shirt from your inventory and copy surfaces to your imported shirt

- Save your imported shirt as a clothing for th female

I think that should work.

How can I transfer rigging?

Is there something else than Transfer Utility?

It doesn't work with the figure as a target, in Daz documentation I've seen using the clothing as targed.

If I choose morph, a bunch of stuff pops out and I don't know what to select.

edited April 2020

Sorry I was going from memory and got it mixed up.

It is Transfer Utility, and yes, the source is the female in morped shape, and the target is the imported shirt.

If you use default shape then DS will fit it to a default female, and if your character is significant different then it will afterwoards adjust it to your current morph and you is likely to get pokethrough.

If your female is around the same size as the default female you can use that as transfer and fitting object.

Post edited by felis on
    edited April 2020
    felis said:

Sorry I was going from memory and got it mixed up.

It is Transfer Utility, and yes, the source is the female in morped shape, and the target is the imported shirt.

I've tried it already, it doesn't work!

This is the result (attachment):

I've been trying with the various settings for hours already, but I've not had any luck.

While leaving all at default gives the 2nd attachment, with the shirt lowered.

C2attura.PNG
    442 x 665 - 285K
    Cattur3a.PNG
    258 x 532 - 71K
    edited April 2020

You will still need to run it through a dForce simulation to get it to actually adjust to your character.

Tou could also run it through a dForce simulation before saving it, then it would be a better start position.

Thinking about it, if you can use the initial suggestion with shrinking and dForce, you can then just let her be in the default pose, then after the simulation you can save the shirt as a clothing item.

Post edited by felis on
    felis said:

You will still need to run it through a dForce simulation to get it to actually adjust to your character.

Tou could also run it through a dForce simulation before saving it, then it would be a better start position.

I've done so many triest this afternoon and evening that I don't recall which was that gave the 1st attachment result, in that case I'd gladly redo the Mesh Grabber and dForce part, but now it always lowers the shirt, and in that way I can't dForce or it would explode

New suggestion:

- load you female in default pose

- load your shirt, unfitted

- transfer the shirt to around the female

- use mesh grabber to eliminate all pokethrough

- run dForce simulation

- save the shirt as new clothing for the female.

felis said:

New suggestion:

- load you female in default pose

- load your shirt, unfitted

- transfer the shirt to around the female

- use mesh grabber to eliminate all pokethrough

- run dForce simulation

- save the shirt as new clothing for the female.

Thank you felis, I've thought about that, but it doesn't work:

- If I use Transfer Utility from the base shirt as an OBJ, it lowers it attaching the collar to the chest, and it's unusable
    - If I don't export it as an OBJ/Prop and I use it as the standard cloth, it resizes the shirt, so it's like I did nothing :(

edited April 2020

So, the question now becomes "How can I tell Transfer Utility to not modify the height of the shirt?".

I'm doing this

1. Fit the shirt to the tall G8M.
    2. Turn it into a prop to keep its current shape.
    3. Place it on the short G8F figure.
    4. Every time I use transfer utility, either it positions it higher or lower than needed, making it hard for me to do the necessary edits.

Fixed this problem, I'd like to continue this way:

• Use Mesh Grabber to remove the poke-throughs.
    • Apply dForce modifiers and do the simulation.

My goal is to

• Save it as an actual oversized shirt to use in every scene I need with the G8F.

I could get the right height by luck with this test tank, but with an actual shirt and its sleeves I need a perfect height, otherwise it's impossible to work with it.

1.PNG
    918 x 699 - 574K

Maybe I was unclear, when I say 'transfer the shirt around the female' I do NOT mean you shall use the transfer utility. You shall use the parameters for the shirt and just move it to the female. Then when it is kind of positioned where the female is then use mesh grabber to avoid pokethrough. So essentially it is still fitted to a default male. Then run a dForce simulation. And then save the shirt. It shall never be fitted to the female.

edited April 2020
    felis said:

Maybe I was unclear, when I say 'transfer the shirt around the female' I do NOT mean you shall use the transfer utility. You shall use the parameters for the shirt and just move it to the female. Then when it is kind of positioned where the female is then use mesh grabber to avoid pokethrough. So essentially it is still fitted to a default male. Then run a dForce simulation. And then save the shirt. It shall never be fitted to the female.

I have already done all of that before the "save the shirt" part, and I have the oversized tank ready.

I don't have the knowledge about how to save this prop as a shirt.

I've tried File->Save As->Support Asset->Figure/Prop asset

And I've played around with the settings, but all I get when I load it is the same prop again :(

Now I tried to do it. And I realised I have forgot one step.

After the dForce simulation you must do a transfer rigging, using your female in current shape (I was remebering as morphed shape) before saving it as a figure/prop asset.

In my case there came a bit pokethrough when I did the transfer rigging. That I would adjust with mesh grabber before saving.

felis said:

After the dForce simulation you must do a transfer rigging, using your female in current shape (I was remebering as morphed shape) before saving it as a figure/prop asset.

In my case there came a bit pokethrough when I did the transfer rigging. That I would adjust with mesh grabber before saving.

I couldn't use morph, because it has tons of voices to select, but I've often used "current", and it positions the shirt or too high, or too low!

LenioTG said:
    felis said:

I couldn't use morph, because it has tons of voices to select, but I've often used "current", and it positions the shirt or too high, or too low!

Are you saying that after the dForce simulation, when you're doing transdfer rigging with cueewnr as source, then the transfer rigging moves the shirt up or down?

I can't understand how that can happen, as current means it shall rig the shirt based on current morph.

This is the result I got

DS_male_female.PNG
    557 x 593 - 169K