Legacy, PoserCF, PS, Poser versions—Can I delete them?

I will never use Poser for anything. In the Daz universe, I exclusively use Daz Studio 4.x. Some products have come with versions that have "Legacy" and "PoserCF" or "PS" or "Poser" in the name, and have been installed over the years.

Can I just delete them if I'm never going to use them? If so, how, exactly, do I safely and effectively go about it?

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,393

Legacy files are for DS versions before 4.5, which can't read duf. If there's also a DS core version you don't need the legacy files.

PoseCF are only for poser, you don't need them at all.

Regarding poser or ps files, it depends:

• Some products, like content for V4/M4 for example, are provided in poser format with DS materials. In that case you do need the poser files
    • Some products have full poser and DS versions, so you need only the DS version

• mavantemavante Posts: 734
    Leana said:

Legacy files are for DS versions before 4.5, which can't read duf. If there's also a DS core version you don't need the legacy files.

PoseCF are only for poser, you don't need them at all.

Regarding poser or ps files, it depends:

• Some products, like content for V4/M4 for example, are provided in poser format with DS materials. In that case you do need the poser files
    • Some products have full poser and DS versions, so you need only the DS version

Thanks, Leana. So how do I get rid of them? Can I just find them in the Finder, and send them to the trash? Or do I need to do it from inside DS?

Also, I have one more question for anybody who knows: I have a few products that have a Daz Studio version, but with "CF" at the end. I seem to recall seeing somewhere (have no idea now where) that these products also have a Poser version, and you must have both in order to use them in DS. Is that right?

And Leana, is that what you were referring to when you said: "Some products, like content for V4/M4 for example, are provided in poser format with DS materials. In that case you do need the poser files"?

• Yes, if there is a StudoCF then that is a usually set of materials, and is an add-on for the base Poser files.

• I've completely abandoned all CF (C.ompanion F.iles) which I think are just some pointers so stuff shows up in the asset browser. If you use any old poser assets, you may want to convert them to DAZ format. I do this by loading them up, then saving the respective nodes and properties as a figure or prop asset.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,393

I've completely abandoned all CF (C.ompanion F.iles) which I think are just some pointers so stuff shows up in the asset browser. 

StudioCF files are not "just pointers to show stuff" at all. They're are actual DS content files, usually materials or scripts, to use in combination with the poser content.

And poserCF usually include poser materials in addition to the files needed by the DSON importer plugin.

So can anybody answer the seminal question: How do I remove/delete/uninstall the items I no longer want, safely and effectively?

I'm on a Mac. Thanks.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,442

If you installed them with DIM or Connect, you can just uninstall them. If you make a mistake, just re-install.

If you installed manually (as I believe you have previously stated elsewhere), you will have to go through each product zip that you want to remove and delete those files and folders manually. You can do it inside Studio, or not. Maybe there is a 3rd party tool that will remove the contents of a .zip file from your system. There is nothing else to purge, since installing manually avoids Smart Content entries, or any metadata, for that matter. There is a small risk of removing files that were installed, or belong to, more than one product, usually in the Runtime/Textures folders, where, say, a DS version and a Ps version of a product each installed the texture bitmaps. Simply deleting them will remove them completely from the system, breaking the material presets (this can happen with DIM, but it's a simple matter to just re-installl). Check if the file is needed by any of the other parts of the product before deleting. If something goes missing, you can simply copy them back from the parts you want to keep.

You will have to check each product as you go to ensure it is still operating properly if you have any doubts. The structure of the product archives and their applicability has evolved over the last 20 years, so they cannot all be handled the same way.

edited April 2020

I have not previously used the term "zip" or "zips" in this thread because what I am asking about has zero whatsoever to do with zip files, of any description. I know how to delete zip files. I put them in the Mac Trashcan and empty it.

I will try to explain as clearly as I am capable of doing what I am asking about.

I want to DELETE/REMOVE/UNINSTALL products in Daz Studio that have ALREADY BEEN INSTALLED, but that I don't want.

By INSTALLED, that means that the ZIP FILES have been UNZIPPED, and the products have been INSTALLED in my "My Daz 3D Library" content  directory. And the ZIP files have been trashed and deleted. They do not exist anywhere on my system, or my computer, or on any mechanical device attached to my MAC computer.

Only a small fraction of the UNWANTED PRODUCTS have been installed through DIM. Therefore using DIM to remove the vast majority of the unwanted products is not an option. I know how to use DIM to UNINISTALL products INSTALLED THROUGH DIM. That's why I did not anywhere in this thread ask about using DIM to UNINSTALL those products.

So if you understand what I am asking about, and if you have any actual knowledge of or experience in doing exactly what I am asking about, I would very much value, treasure, and appreciate your expertise in answering my seminal question—which I will now expand upon for complete clarity:

How do I remove/delete/uninstall the ALREADY INSTALLED products I no longer want (NOT their zip files, NOT using DIM), safely and effectively, on a MAC?

EDIT TO ADD: DIM has been grinding for 10 minutes attempting to uninstall one item it installed. I had checked about 20 DIM-installed items that I wanted it to uninstall.

Post edited by mavante on
  • NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,442

To uninstall the contents of a manually installed product, you need to know what was in it. The only way to know what was in it is to either have a copy of said zip file or go to the product's readme in the documentation archive to get the list of files, if it exists (many older products do not have complete info). There is no other record of which files were copied from the archives, other than the manifests that you previously deleted. You still have to manually delete the files. Unless the MAC keeps track of every file operation, there are no magic ways to determine which files you want to remove.