Squiggly dark lines on forehead G8F

I've been using Daz for several months with no issues, but recently started getting this problem intermittently in different scenes with different characters.  Once the render is complete there is a squiggly dark line on the face, almost always on the forehead. It doesnt show at all in Texture Shaded view, and cannot easily be seen with a quick check in Iray mode before rendering.  I thought it might be hair related but cant see what to change to remove it or prevent it. It occurs even on a fresh loaded character with just one hair type loaded.  Example png pic file attached

Daz-query1.png
569 x 715 - 670K

Comments

• InkyInky Posts: 33

Are you rendering in Octane?

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,387
    ajmilton said:

I've been using Daz for several months with no issues, but recently started getting this problem intermittently in different scenes with different characters.  Once the render is complete there is a squiggly dark line on the face, almost always on the forehead. It doesnt show at all in Texture Shaded view, and cannot easily be seen with a quick check in Iray mode before rendering.  I thought it might be hair related but cant see what to change to remove it or prevent it. It occurs even on a fresh loaded character with just one hair type loaded.  Example png pic file attached

Enlarge the hair cap slightly; it is a bug in Iray that crops up occasionally

• jpetersen1jpetersen1 Posts: 148
    edited April 2020

It's sometimes hard to figure out which setting caused the problem. It can sometimes be the hair cap, it can also sometimes be some of the other settings in the Shaping Pane or the Parameterrs pane. It might be that the hair geometry is poking through the face geometry or interacting with it in some other way.

Making adjustments to the hair (or face, but this is less preferable) can usually get rid of it.

Post edited by jpetersen1 on
  • mclaughmclaugh Posts: 221
    nemesis10 said:

Enlarge the hair cap slightly; it is a bug in Iray that crops up occasionally

I'm not convinced that it's a bug in iRay per se: I think it's an artefact of a mesh collision between the head and the hair cap, because on some hair, enlarging the cap increases the size and density of black artefacts, and I've only ever seen it with hair that has mesh smoothing enabled by default (OOT hair being perhaps the most notorious culprit). At least for me, disabling mesh smoothing fixes it every time.

• ajmiltonajmilton Posts: 10

Thanks very much for the prompt comments and suggestions.  I tried enlarging the hair by 1% on that particular one and it worked. However I will try another of the problem ones later with the disabling mesh approach.