Matching skin tones help (solved)

RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,283

When I use a black person and a white person in a scene I do not feel the need to match their skin tones because the difference is to be expected.

Sometimes I place a darker skinned person with a lighter skinned person on purpose also. This seems to work generally.

But sometimes I just have two white skinned people in a scene, but the mismatch of the skin become obvious.

One can be very pale and their skin kind of glows and the other seems natural.

Especially if I use older Genesis characters.

So, I have remedied this by placing the same skin textures on different geometry.

But when I render them, they end up having the same moles and skin blemishes and the skin on their hands/face looks identical.

How do I match skins with shader parameters to get skin types for different Gen 8 characters to look relatively in the same ballpark?

I saw a product once in the Daz shop that was said to match skin types from different Genesis characters with one another and I can't seem to locate it now. Do I really need that?

Or, I am wondering if there is a trick within Daz studio surface parameters to get the skin tones to complement one another.

How do you do this? I have a tanning product I bought that does this good, but I am just wondering if anyone here might share some other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Post edited by RexRed on

Comments

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,283

I found a tutorial on YouTube that solves this problem (I think) by changing the translucency weight parameter. 

I will give that a go. You can still reply here if you have any tips to add.

search on YouTube for this:

"Daz Studio Skin Color - Basic"

• kwanniekwannie Posts: 865

Rex,

I have found that the Altern8 Shader System sold in the DAZ Store is a great asset to have for getting skin tones evenly matched.

• charlescharles Posts: 810

Sorry for the necro but was the first on the topic to come up on Google.

Altern is good for settings, but there are other tools too. I find Altern's specular replacement not worth it though.  A lot of it really comes down to the texture maps, nothing you do may be able to match up the tones properly if the maps are too far off from one another.

What one can do is either share the maps or bring them into a paint program and layer the same top color map to the others and apply it as a hue. Touch up where needed.

But there is also glossy look you want to dial in the same on each, and find really close specular maps or share them. Altern just applies a single generic specular that doesn't really do the dual specular lobe system justice.