Transfer Utility Clipping

Hi, hope this is the right place.
Browsed through the forum and (tried) to use the search function for this as I'm 100% certain someone at some point has had this issue but I'm coming up empty, if anyone knows of a thread dealing with this I'd love to know.
Right, I've modelled a... let's called it an under developed motorcycle suit to stay pg-13, and I'm having an issue when I use the transfer utility.
Here's what a section of it looks like when brought in and not transfered just a straight prop:
All good, that's what it should look like.
When I use the transfer utility:
I've tried as many different combinations of item shapes and projection templates as I could think of and always the same result. The clothing was modelled using Marvelous Designer with the G8F figure as the avatar and it's being fitted to an un-morphed un-posed G8F.
I tried tweaking the weight map but with it not being posed there's nothing actually doing anything yet. I'm really not sure what's causing it to clip with the figure, it does this on the right hand side of the torso (figure perspective) on the waist line (shown) and behind the thighs, everywhere else seems to be good.
I assume I'm doing something wrong here but I have no idea what, my only suggestion to myself is to export it out and either create a morph that brings out those areas or create a new piece of clothing with those areas expanded but that sounds like a really jank solution.
Any help greatly appreciated!

transfer_issue_1.PNG
590 x 575 - 367K
transfer_issue_2.PNG
601 x 587 - 394K

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,205

To my knowledge this should only happen if there is a difference between what it had been modelled to and the rigging object.

I do not have Marvelous Designer so I do not know if there can be some special conditions to handle. Have you tried importing your base back to DS to see if it is an exact match with the default G8F?

• You say it is being fitted to an unmorphed figure, but was it made around an unmorphed figure?

• snarkfusnarkfu Posts: 5
    edited April 2020
    felis said:

To my knowledge this should only happen if there is a difference between what it had been modelled to and the rigging object.

I do not have Marvelous Designer so I do not know if there can be some special conditions to handle. Have you tried importing your base back to DS to see if it is an exact match with the default G8F?

You say it is being fitted to an unmorphed figure, but was it made around an unmorphed figure?

Answer to both of these is yes, I exported out the default G8F as an avatar for marvelous designer precisely to make things easier for myself, that's why it looks fitted while actually being unfitted (though I suppose you can't actually see that).

Post edited by snarkfu on
  • felisfelis Posts: 4,205

Have you previously made and imported clothing the same way?

I can't really imagine what can cause this. If I rig to a base character, I have never seen that the mesh move at rigging. If you look in the parameters tab for the character under currently used morphs - is it then empty?

edited April 2020
    felis said:

Have you previously made and imported clothing the same way?

I can't really imagine what can cause this. If I rig to a base character, I have never seen that the mesh move at rigging. If you look in the parameters tab for the character under currently used morphs - is it then empty?

Yeah I've done it this way before when testing it out and it's always worked.

The only things in the currently used morphs are eyelash morphs, render subD minimum selection (changed that, no difference), a toon gen3d morph which is always there but set to zero and an edge interpolation selection that doesn't change anything, even with those they are the same things that are on the avatar I exported out so shouldn't have an impact anyway.

Post edited by snarkfu on

Slight update, adding a smoothing modifier improves things but it has to be set to 12 before it actually "solves" my issue though it causes it's own issues but I think for that I just need to add sharp edges in places.
    Still looking to solve this as it seems more a workaround than a solution.

Eventually I just pulled out the verts in blender and updated the geometry until it didn't clip anymore, still not sure what caused this.