Under performing GPU, could the solution be as simple as...

comixfanacomixfana Posts: 264

[Under performing GPU, could the solution be as simple as...] A more powerful power supply?  The renders are slow to start, and according to the benchmark software (Novabench) my GPU is seriously under performing, while the CPU is well within average so... here's my current setup:

Windows 10 64 bit

Daz Studio 4.12

Processor: Intel Core i7 2600S CPU @ 2.8 Ghz

Installed memory 16 Gb

GPU: PNY Gforce GTX 1070

Power Supply: 80Plus SMART 500W

I'm already upgrading the memory to 32 Gb (the maximum my motherboard can take).  After reading up on the topic, a 500W power supply might be barely enough, is that right?  In theory, my renders should be a lot quicker, but I'm barely seeing any improvement in performance since upgrading to the Gforce GTX 1070 from the Gforce 1060 it's replacing.

Before you ask, I've defragmented the Hard drive, updated all drivers and made sure that Windows 10 is up to date.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

Adding RAM won't help. If you're not seeing something like a 25% render time reduction then you need to check the 1070's clock speed during renders. If that is way below the base clock that could show your PSU is too weak, or that the card is overheating.

The renders will always take a while to start on that system. You're running PCIE gen 2 which is much slower than gen 3, slow enough the lanes could easily be getting saturated during a scene transfer. Further DDR3 is slow. It's max speed is the same as DDR4 minimum. You might even have SATA 2 rather than 3 which is also slower.

As to a benchmark showing the 1070 greatly underperforming that could be the PCIE gen 2 interface comparing to the gen 3 which is what most people are on.

But as I said check the cards clock speed and other stats using GPU-Z and you'll see for sure.

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

Honestly, you may just be expecting too much out of a single step upgrade in the same GPU series.

If your goal was to cut your Iray render times in half, you should have gone up to a GTX 1080 ti or an RTX 2060 Super.