Topic: Hardware Bottlenecks

So, I recently learned that my custom build has a bottleneck. My i5-8600k creates a 34% bottleneck on my EVGA GTX 1080Tis SC2 & EVGA GTX 1080 SC. I understand all of it. I've been building PCs for years now. What I don't know is if that bottleneck is an issue when it comes to iray rendering. I know the bottleneck is a hinderance when I am gaming even though my PC blows through every game I play without a sweat. 

What do you guys think? Do bottlenecks that affect gaming affect rendering in iray?

I am in the process of upgrading everything but I really what to know the answer to this before I dish out $500 + for an i9.

Comments

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,970

Apart from asking what is causing the other 66% bottleneck ... cheeky

Games generally 'throw' data around at a rate of knots, to and from RAM and VRAM, etc. Renderign generally only throws it at VRAM once.  The CPU will be involved in Iary renderign but with minimal input, so I'd say don't worry.

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

Huh?

How did you measure this "bottleneck" and what metric was used. It certainly can't be a gaming benchmark since you cannot use mismatched Nvidia cards in SLI.