Dforce not working on entire clothing item *Solved*

LBSTHLLBSTHL Posts: 20

Hello everybody,

I am quite new to Daz but digging deeper and deeper into its functions. I have a lot of fun with it but there is one problem I'm encountering regularly that I just cannot solve myself - even though I'm sure the solution is pretty simple. Maybe somebody here can help a newbie out!

So, let's say I want to create a render of a dress hanging over a chair. As of now I select a (dforce compatible) dress, pose it over the chair, add a dynamic surface, run a simulation and... let's try to be funny and say the results are mixed :D. With most items, the skirt and flounce fall dynamically as expected but everything above the waistline just remains in position, leaving a weird "half-dynamic" dress hanging in the air.

I know I'm missing something here - but what?

Any help would be much appreciated! :)

Post edited by LBSTHL on

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,902

Using a dForce compatible dress is somewhat counterproductive to what you're trying to achieve, since it will not only already have a dForce modifier applied, but also a weight map telling it which parts will and will not respond to simulation.

• LBSTHLLBSTHL Posts: 20

Ah, I see! Had a feeling that weight maps might play a part in here.

I actually tried to access to weight map of the dress and think I saw what corresponds to my problem and your understanding of it - half of the dress was not covered.

However, even after I evened the weight map, the dress still just kinda hung in the air...

In other words: what could I do to fix this? :) Or what different approach should I follow to do what I want to do here?

Hi there Gordig,

and thank you for your reply! :)

I did actually check out the weight layers for the item in question and think I saw where my problem/your appraoch to it is located: only half of the item was covered. However, even after I evened out the weight map, the dress would still just... drop, but hang at its straps suspended in mid air.

Should I approach this problem in a completely different manner? Or what would you recommend as a solution? :)

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,902

Check the individual surfaces. The surfaces that aren't supposed to dForce might have Dynamics Strength or some other settings turned down.

• felisfelis Posts: 4,205

The easiest way I know, is to remove the dForce modifier and then reapply it. Then all the clothing will be dForce enabled.

But you shall be aware, that there beside wanted draping might be areas of the clothing where it isn't welded, or have a lot of geometry which might behave weird or even badly to a simulation.

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633
    edited April 2020

I had a dforce product that had bones attached to it, that kept some parts of the mesh in place somehow.

Post edited by Paintbox on
    felis said:

The easiest way I know, is to remove the dForce modifier and then reapply it. Then all the clothing will be dForce enabled.

But you shall be aware, that there beside wanted draping might be areas of the clothing where it isn't welded, or have a lot of geometry which might behave weird or even badly to a simulation.

Hi there!

Sorry for the much belated reply. That actually solved all issues :) Thank you!