ERC freeze linking makes sub-d go selectively berserk

First time I ever used ERC freeze – it made sub-d go off the charts on some parts of my model.

Model: a camper trailer hull with a rigged door on one side.

The door is a compound door, as in, a door parented to another door. Each door opens 45 degrees to make a full 90 degree opening.

So, I ERC froze the two 45 degree opening slider controls together to make the parent slider produce the full 90 degree opening motion.

When I did this, random parts of the camper hull became super distorted by what looks like sub-d cranked up to an outrageous degree.

Can this be remedied?

This was also my first time rigging a mechanical model. I used SicleYield’s tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNFHv8K8qKg

At 2:30 she says to click on sub-d. Was that the cause of this problem?

Daz Studio 4.11.0.383 64-bit

Comments

• Well, applying SubD does just that - but it's not a vital step (you may not want SubD on a hard surface mdoel, and if you do it can also be done from Edit>Figure>Geometry>Convert to SubD). Still, I doubt this is the issue - SubD justs mooths and divides the mesh, if you are seeing distortion this sounds more likely t be the effect of having some other proeprty in a non-zero state and so linked to the controller. One thing to check is to click the gear icon on the slider for your cotnroller, pick Parameter Settings, then look to see what is listed in the Sub Components tab at the bottom.

• lukon100lukon100 Posts: 792

I don't know how to check for hidden linked properties. I only know what I see in the ERC Freeze dialog box, as shown in the picture I here attach.

In that image, "Door Hinge Wedge" is the parent door I mentioned in my original post, while just plain "Door" is the child door.

Door Problem.jpg
    1280 x 2044 - 1M
  • I have no idea why that would happen.