Can I....

I wanna install the newest Daz....I been using old 3.1 thus far......IS there a way to transfer all the stuff I got in 3.1 over to the newest one without having to reinstall everything? o.o

Thanks.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,461
    edited April 2020

Yes, just point the new version to the content directories used in DS 3. Edit>Prefrences, go to the Content tab, click Content Directory Manager and edit/add paths as needed.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Do I gotta do that each time, or is it a one time thing?

• MarcCCTxMarcCCTx Posts: 912

One time.

• Still not sure how to add it....is there screen caps one can see?

• This new version is gonna take me awhile to figure out.  Very different from 3.1 frown

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,624

Did you figure out how to add the content?

• Daventaki said:

Did you figure out how to add the content?

Still trying to figure it to figure it out.  This is waaaay different than 3.1 cheeky

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,393
    edited April 2020

Follow the procedure Richard gave to go to the content directories manager.

When you open that screen you'll see several groups of paths:

You need to add the path to your DS3 content directory (the folder which contains the Runtime, like in DS3) in both "poser formats" and "Daz studio formats".

After that the content will appear in the "Content library" tab, which works like the content tab in DS3.

They won't be in "Smart Content" tab as you won't have metadata for them (that was introduced in DS4).

Post edited by Leana on
  • so far so good.

Also, when installing stuff off, say sharecg or renderosity, where to do I unzip the stuff?  I mean the newest daz would have a different location than the old Daz3.1, yes?

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,393

By default DS4 uses the following content folders:

• "My DAZ 3D Library" in Public Documents, for content installed by DIM
    • "My Library" in Documents/Daz 3D/Studio, for content installed manually
    • "My Daz Connect Library" in Documents/Daz 3D/Studio, for content installed with Connect (new install system directly inside DS)

But you can install your content to any content directory registered in DS, including your DS3 content directory if you want.

• Tried it, but can't find em. @_@;;

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,387

Tried it, but can't find em. @_@;;

If you can use the search function of your computer, you should be able to fin where they put these folders since they are created when you install the program.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,849

so far so good.

Also, when installing stuff off, say sharecg or renderosity, where to do I unzip the stuff?  I mean the newest daz would have a different location than the old Daz3.1, yes?

You just learned how to use your old content libraries in the new version of D|S. And now you want to stop using them already?

• Ascania said:

so far so good.

You just learned how to use your old content libraries in the new version of D|S. And now you want to stop using them already?

No, I said I put NEW items into the new daz, stuff from share cg, but I can not FIND them anywhere.

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,070
    Ascania said:

so far so good.

No, I said I put NEW items into the new daz, stuff from share cg, but I can not FIND them anywhere.

You should be able to find them on the content library, not on the smart content. Then follow the folder structure. So if it's a G8M character, for example, you should find it in People > Genesis 8 Male > characters.
  • AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,849
    edited April 2020
    Ascania said:

so far so good.

Look at the content directory manager you just added your old content libraries to. It lists the locations for all the new libraries.

Post edited by Ascania on