Unsure of installing 2 graphics cards

Hello, I'm just looking for advice.
System:

Processor: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
Ram: 64 go processor 3.40GHz
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

I plan to install a second card but I do not understand well about the use of 2 cards, rendering takes less time if I put two cards to work without the cpu? (in most of the time I render heavy scenes)
The second card is a
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti

I have the 2080ti card up to date but I use Daz studio 4.11 
Some advices?

Post edited by arest781_41ccaeceb2 on

Comments

• rames44rames44 Posts: 329

Yes, if you install a second card and make it available to DS, it will use both when rendering, and will (approximately) halve the time required for a render to complete.  One thing you need to know is that the scene has to fit into each of the two cards - if you have two 8Gb cards, that doesn't give you 16Gb in terms of "will my scene fit."  Each card has to be able to load the entire scene.  If it will fit in one but not the other, DS will use only the one in which it fits.

Also, the reason I say "approximately," is that the time required to load the scene into the GPUs isn't halved, and may even be increased slightly. So for a render that doesnt take very long, you won't see as much of a speed up as for one that takes a long time to render once it's loaded.  But for anything that takes more that a minute or three to render, yes, you'll see the effect.

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

As said above the cards will work. The 1070ti will decrease render time for scenes that fit on it. Not by anything like 50% though since the 2080ti is a much more powerful card.

• rames44 said:

Also, the reason I say "approximately," is that the time required to load the scene into the GPUs isn't halved, and may even be increased slightly. So for a render that doesnt take very long, you won't see as much of a speed up as for one that takes a long time to render once it's loaded.  But for anything that takes more that a minute or three to render, yes, you'll see the effect.

As said above the cards will work. The 1070ti will decrease render time for scenes that fit on it. Not by anything like 50% though since the 2080ti is a much more powerful card.

In other words, does it only find effect when I go to render heavy scenes?
    I was thinking of removing the graphics card from my other computer and putting it to this one but I am looking to see if there is no way to make the two computers work together.

Thank you for your answers

• Dim ReaperDim Reaper Posts: 687
    rames44 said:

In other words, does it only find effect when I go to render heavy scenes?
    I was thinking of removing the graphics card from my other computer and putting it to this one but I am looking to see if there is no way to make the two computers work together.

Thank you for your answers

The extra card will have an effect on most scenes.  It won't half your render times, but it will have a noticable effect.  If you are rendering a scene with a lot of characters and that scene exceeds the 8GB VRAM on the 1070ti, then it will drop out and the 2080ti will render alone.

It's worth taking a look at the individual cards in the benchmarking thread https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/341041/daz-studio-iray-rendering-hardware-benchmarking/p1   

• rames44rames44 Posts: 329

Reminds me of a classic word problem. "If John can paint a house in 3 days, and Bill can paint that house in four days, how long does it take them to paint it together." ????