"Click here to save a new character preset" tool

andreretogasserandreretogasser Posts: 256

I think I found something that might be material for an upcoming software update: When I save an G8 Actor with the function "Click here to save a new character preset", G8 eyelashes are lost. It makes the whole function unusable for me, because there is no notable time saving when I have to load a figure to restore eyelashes. Assuming that I use the tool correctly ... I'm not a computer scientist :-).

It would be a very "nice to have" - at least for my use if I could also safe things like hair or objects in the actors hands with this function.

Post edited by andreretogasser on

Comments

• A character preset requires some post-save tweaking to load the lashes (and brows, if appropriate) - I think there is a YouTube video covering the steps, and some forum discussion.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited April 2020

The usual solution is to use "save scene subset", instead of "save character" — that gives the option of saving all parented objects (eyelashes, fibermesh eyebrows, clothes, tools, weapons etc.) as well as the figure itself. Is that what you're after?

Post edited by SpottedKitty on
  • BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,886

Things got changed with the character preset save function when they created the G8 figures.

You can't just click accept on the character preset save options popup any more, if you do the addon data wont be saved with it.

You now need to make sure that "Post Load" is also selected, if you are using default surface settings with the addon then you can click accept to create your preset.

However if you are using custom surface settings you need a material preset, your own or someone elses, hierarchical or regular preset doesn't matter as they both work.

You now need to click on the ">>" button to access the Post Load settings window, the attached image shows the settings for one of my custom characters, eyelashes and eyebrows. As you can see I'm using a custom preset for the eyelashes, and one of V8's for the eyebrows. Now my preset is a hierarchical which is why the line "Boolean     SelectAddon" is set to False, V8's MAT preset is a regular which is why that line is set to True.

Once you have pointed the addon to the right MAT preset you can click accept to close the Post Load window, now you can click accept to create your character preset.

Post_Load.jpg
    881 x 621 - 185K
  • Thank you all very much indeed. I just found what works best for my needs:

....on the other hand, there remains the question of what the button "Click here to save a new character preset" should actually be useful for ... but I am probably not the typical user for the software.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,375
    edited February 2023

Is it possible to postload an entire wearable preset?

With Eyelashes and Eyebrows, the postload script will automatically add them into the list of figures to be postloaded if their content type is set up correctly as tear attachment and eyelash attachment, but to manually edit the postload script to load a Wearable, is that possible?

Post edited by lilweep on