WetFX Decal and Shader help desperately needed

Hey all. I picked up the WetFX Decal and Shader product from Daz but the product seems broken, or I'm a complete ditz, because it doesn't work at all. Whenever I try to load the decal onto a figure (any figure) it will only attach to that figure's hair, even if I hide the hair, and it's always invisible and unable to be moved. When I try attaching it to a character without hair, it simply does not work. Anyone else use this product? Did you ever get it to work? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,903

Decals definitely aren't the most intuitive things to use. What is selected when you apply the prop? 

• wmiller314wmiller314 Posts: 184

My Genesis 8 female figure Xia is selected and yet it still attaches to her hair, or if she has no hair, nothing at all. LOL. Am I just stupid? Even when it does attach, I can't see anything, even in Iray preview mode. 

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,903

Let's try a different approach: select Xia, then go to the Create menu and select New Iray Decal Node. What do you see? You may have to maneuver the decal node to make it visible on the character's surface.

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,387
    edited April 2020

So, this is what I did:

I loaded Cain, a G8M figure, some water props, wet hair, a water prop and the decal with a soapy white texture.  If yu load the decal, you can just drag into the decal into the figure in the scene tab. The next step is the most important.  The decal loads in the center of the figure. Move it so that it gently grazes the surface of the figure  but not embedded in the figure:

Rendered, it appears as a white mass on the figure's chest.  You might notice that it conforms to his shape especially just below the pectoral:

decal.jpeg
    515 x 993 - 57K
    incomplete_render.jpg
    1699 x 1206 - 858K
    Post edited by nemesis10 on
  • wmiller314wmiller314 Posts: 184

Thanks. This is all good info. I'll try this as soon as I get some play time today and let you all know if it works. Thanks again for the help.

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,301

A lot of decals have two different kinds of translate and scale, they have the regular translate and scale and if you scroll down in the list of parameters, they have their own unique translate and scale settings. You must experiment with both and see which ones work best. Sometimes you have to use a drop-down menu and orient it on the front and/or back or side of the character (with tattoos).

The decal will usually show up in the same spot on your character often it is hidden like under their neck or on their chest and you have to use the translate and scale settings to move it to where you want it.

Your character often needs to be in the center of the scene.