Putting together a new PC and would need some advice.

I'm putting together a new PC and wanted to ask for opinions.

At the moment my plan is to get a CPU Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60-4.90 GHz with 32 GB DualDDR4 3000 MHz CL15 and a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super XC Gaming 8 GB.

The scenes I usual build have 2-4 genesis 3 figures + cloth + detailed environment and I use V3Digitimes Scene Optimizer most of the time.

Would that setup be legit? Or has anyone some advice?

Comments

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

I assume this is a prebuilt. It will be fine but you're overpaying. The 9700k is ridiculouslu underpowered compared to the price equivalent Ryzen 3000 (3700). If possible get the Ryzen.

The RTX 2070 Super is a great card so if you can't/dont want to change the rest then you'll do fine.

• Yes, I reuse some old components and buy a couple of other parts as well. I didn't include the rest in my summonary since I thought they don't have much impact on DAZ Studio performance.

So the combination :

Motherboard ASRock Z390 Steel Legend with CPU Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60-4.90 GHz - 12 MB Cache has less performance than the

Motherboard ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 with CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.60/4.20 GHz - 36 MB Cache?

Now that I see them both together the AMD has tripple the cache than the Intel. That's the reason why it is better?

Also, not sure where I have read it but I had thought that DAZ runs better under Intel CPU. That's a misconception on my side?

• If you randering on Iray the CPU don't matter much, only the GPU. I got a pretty similar setup R7 3800x, 32Gb RAM 2400MHz, B450 Tomahwak and a EVGA RTX 2070 XC 8 Gb. And its working beautifully! Also I can fit 3 to 4 Genesis 8 Characters on a scene (depending on detail on the background) Withou any VRAM issues. So in general  the Ryzens tend to be a much better option since they are cheaper than Intel and have a better performance ( Intel still wins on very high end gaming with the i9s, but lose everywhere else).

Yes, I reuse some old components and buy a couple of other parts as well. I didn't include the rest in my summonary since I thought they don't have much impact on DAZ Studio performance.

So the combination :

Motherboard ASRock Z390 Steel Legend with CPU Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60-4.90 GHz - 12 MB Cache has less performance than the

Motherboard ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 with CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.60/4.20 GHz - 36 MB Cache?

Now that I see them both together the AMD has tripple the cache than the Intel. That's the reason why it is better?

Also, not sure where I have read it but I had thought that DAZ runs better under Intel CPU. That's a misconception on my side?

If you're reusing parts then use what you have. i thought you were buying new. If you are buying new get the Ryzen (if the price is comparable). It may not make much difference in Daz but in Photoshop and any other professional tools it most likely will.

• ChumlyChumly Posts: 793

I made a similar upgrade a few weeks ago.  The Ryzenn 9 3900x is a great chip.  I paired mine with the x570 to get the PCie 4.0 benefits and better upgrade path.

Pcpartspicker, if you haven't tried it out, will help with some build decisions.  I held off on the new video card (I have a GTX 1060 6gb card), as my skill level with 3d/daz is in the learning curve phase so maybe by the time my skills warrant a better card, I'll be ready to purchase.

AMD is coming out with their high end new stuff at the end of 2020.... it is supposed to be ray tracing-able to be more daz friendly and should push the prices of cards down some... as I am sure Nvidia will have new stuff too and drop prices on their current line up.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305
    PJWhoopie said:

AMD is coming out with their high end new stuff at the end of 2020.... it is supposed to be ray tracing-able to be more daz friendly and should push the prices of cards down some... as I am sure Nvidia will have new stuff too and drop prices on their current line up.

Well, AMD stuff can have all the raytracing it wants, but unless you're using a render engine, i.e., not Iray, that uses AMD GPUs, they won't help.  I'd like for Daz to officially support another render engine, especially one that takes advantage of cheaper GPUs, but we've yet to see that happen, or even hinted at.  Then again, will the time cost of converting all our Iray assets be worth the price difference?

• edited April 2020

Thanks for the feedback guys. With the change to Ryzen CPU I could even affort to change out some more PC parts.

Post edited by tiplerneck_b48f2f5b62 on
    Sevrin said:
    PJWhoopie said:

Well, AMD stuff can have all the raytracing it wants, but unless you're using a render engine, i.e., not Iray, that uses AMD GPUs, they won't help.  I'd like for Daz to officially support another render engine, especially one that takes advantage of cheaper GPUs, but we've yet to see that happen, or even hinted at.  Then again, will the time cost of converting all our Iray assets be worth the price difference?

The issue is that even if Daz added ProRenderer support, or some other GPU render engine that supports Radeon cards, it would likely not be supported by the PA's for quite a while. Just as 3Delight shaders look awful when converted to iRay, and vice versa, all those products without those new shaders would still be a problem.