Strange Cracks Caused by Hair appearing in the characters forehead.

CyberdeneCyberdene Posts: 72

I am having these odd cracks appear in my figures forehead Sometimes it wont appear at all, then other times it will especially if the character is doing any facial expressions. I still can't figure out what the hell is causing the cracks though with the hair. Its not a skin issue, but I tried rendering without the hair and it doesnt show.

I need a hero 6.png
263 x 154 - 95K
Post edited by Cyberdene on

Comments

• jpetersen1jpetersen1 Posts: 148

I've had that happen too. I cannot remember what I did to fix it and I don't think it was a perfect fix, I think I ended up turning the model to hide the small part that was still visible.

Did you make some adjustments to the hair in the Parameters Pane? Maybe part of the hair geometry is interacting with the head. Hopefully someone will come along and explain exactly what causes it.

• thrain9thrain9 Posts: 103

I also have the same problem and can fix it sometimes by:

=select hair cap or hair (depending on the way the hair set up -- you will know if the scene tab shows several parts)

=go to parameters tab

=edit hair cap size by shrinking the hair ...

hope someone who really knows about this will provide a definitive answer

• felisfelis Posts: 4,205

To my knowledge this primarily happens if the character is not at world centre.

Away from centre Iray gets less precise, and there is a risk that the verteces from the head interfere with the verteces from the hair cap, and then causing this.

I think some says you can also try to set the oppacity of the hair cap to 0.

• CyberdeneCyberdene Posts: 72

Yeah, it mostly only does this with Out Of Touch Hair though, I've never had it do it with any other hair so far.

felis said:

Away from centre Iray gets less precise, and there is a risk that the verteces from the head interfere with the verteces from the hair cap, and then causing this.

What do u mean by world centre? You mean like if I move the figure too far away?

• Black areas like this are always caused by one geometry intersecting another, in the black eye problem the eye layers intersect becuase of floating point errors, in this case it's probably because your using something like OOT hair that has a large transparent skullcap that is intersecting with the forehead, one of your morphs probably isn't set to 'follow', which will make the forehead pop through the skullcap. Although it is possible the floating point errors are causing this, you would probably have black screla as well.

You could apply a push modifier or deformer to just the skullcap to see if it fixes it.

• Cyberdene said:
    felis said:

What do u mean by world centre? You mean like if I move the figure too far away?

Yes, figures load at the centre of the world (almost always). If you need to move them to be in the correct place n a modelled environemt, try moving the environment to them instead.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305
    Cyberdene said:
    felis said:

Yes, figures load at the centre of the world (almost always). If you need to move them to be in the correct place n a modelled environemt, try moving the environment to them instead.

What if you have two characters, you can't have them both at the world centre unless there's hanky panky going on, which my characters aren't constantly in the mood for, and go-to poses certainly move them away from the world centre.

• Sevrin said:
    Cyberdene said:
    felis said:

What if you have two characters, you can't have them both at the world centre unless there's hanky panky going on, which my characters aren't constantly in the mood for, and go-to poses certainly move them away from the world centre.

Moving them far enough apart for nteractive pses shouldn't be an issue, if they need a wider separation try to have the one that is nearest the camera in the centre of the scene and/or try one of the other suggestions (push modifier to increase hair separation, consider using a simpler material set up on eyes).

• The instancing optimisation setting is to blame.

In daz studio 4.11 this can be recreated using the oot camila hair on a character with 'fit to' set to none, Z scale set to 99.5, and instancing optimisation set to memory.

Normally it's ok loaded straight to the character and instancing set to auto, or speed.

Cyberdene said:
    felis said:

Yeah your right about this, I noticed it did this when I moved the figure to a certain area on the plane, but in the default load spot their in that crack don't appear. Although I think it has before still. Not sure. I like a lot of the hair OutOfTouch Makes but that crack thing I've seen it do it to all but at least one hair of theirs I own.

• edited April 2020
    thrain9 said:

=select hair cap or hair (depending on the way the hair set up -- you will know if the scene tab shows several parts)

=go to parameters tab

=edit hair cap size by shrinking the hair ...

hope someone who really knows about this will provide a definitive answer

The advice train9 gave is working. I had the same problem and every time it was simply solved by using the hairs "fix morphs".

Change your viewport to "Smooth Shaded" and you should be able to see that parts of the "hair cap" is disappearing into the figures head. Use the morphes to move it so its completely outside the head and it should render ok.

Worked for me every time.

Post edited by tiplerneck_b48f2f5b62 on
  • This is a common problem with various hair products, and we all get them -- so it's not anything the renderer is doing wrong.  Daz still has many flaws and problems that need to get worked out.

In the past, I used Mesh Grabber, which can help with both the hair caps as well as clothing poke-throughs.

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

Out of touch hair always has a scale X Y Z morph, you can adjust it and it fixes this problem 10/10

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,301

This happens to me a lot with hair and with clothing cracking and showing the flesh of the character through the fabric.

I bought "Mesh Grabber" a tool for use in Daz and it works well to edit the mesh. It has a lot of other uses like styling clothing and other geometry.

Mesh Grabber is my go-to tool when I need to form the mesh to where I need it. It is easy to use too. At least I was able to figure it out fine.

The basic stock tool works for most cases.

A lot of hair models don't have scaling settings and smoothing modifiers use a ton of CPU/GPU resource.

It is better to just reshape the mesh to fit the head by hand where you need it precisely. 

A lot of times resizing the cap does not work because the mesh is only out in a specific place and not all around uniformly.

I am not sure who made Mesh Grabber but it works and you will never struggle over this problem again.

• bradassociatesbradassociates Posts: 106
    edited April 2020
    RexRed said:

This happens to me a lot with hair and with clothing cracking and showing the flesh of the character through the fabric.

I bought "Mesh Grabber" a tool for use in Daz and it works well to edit the mesh. It has a lot of other uses like styling clothing and other geometry.

Mesh Grabber is my go-to tool when I need to form the mesh to where I need it. It is easy to use too. At least I was able to figure it out fine.

The basic stock tool works for most cases.

A lot of hair models don't have scaling settings and smoothing modifiers use a ton of CPU/GPU resource.

It is better to just reshape the mesh to fit the head by hand where you need it precisely. 

A lot of times resizing the cap does not work because the mesh is only out in a specific place and not all around uniformly.

I am not sure who made Mesh Grabber but it works and you will never struggle over this problem again.

I concur - Mesh Grabber is one of the most valuable tool apps for Daz Studio, and is also my go to (another is Scene Optimizer, but that's another thread).  Note though - it takes time to build the skills to use it effectively.    It has various options for pulling/pushing the wire mesh and one needs to know the best option to select as well as the size of the portion of the mesh selected.  Last night I was using it to morph the face and ears of a character.   One way to learn to use it is too create various primitives with enough segments to get a feel for the different pulling points, size of area and pressure to use.  There are also some good tutorials for the app on Youtube (search "Daz mesh grabber").

Post edited by bradassociates on