Where is render time information?

When you are rendering, DS displays a progess bar showing the percentage done and the current render time in hours/minutes.

After the image is rendered, the bar goes away but it's still important to know render times for a specific image, especially if you are planning to re-render several of them in a certain order, or if you are testing ways to optimize the renders and you need to compare numbers.

Is the render time stored somewhere after the progress bar disappears

Comments

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

The log contains that info. Just don't shut down or start a new render.

• jpetersen1jpetersen1 Posts: 148
    edited April 2020

Thank you! (Now I have to figure out where to find the log smiley .)

So we will have to create our own log file if we need to track multiple renders (separate from the specific-image log)?

And we will have to try to match up that log file with the actual renders?

I assume from your comment about not shutting down that this means that there's no automatic storage of this information with the file if you re-open it later, or in a multiple-render log list?

I guess I expected each render to have something similar to the EXIF in a digital camera, where basic info about the creation time, render time, etc. are permanently stored with the Scene.

Post edited by jpetersen1 on
  • Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

Ah.  Interesting.  Good to know.  That's SO much more convienient that simply putting that in the render window header so the info's there when ya come back  getting some coffee & the render's finished

No, the log just keeps building & adds to the bottom.  So if ya shut down then re start DS, you'll just have a ton more lines to scroll through to find your last render time is all.

I guess a Purge the Log function is a bit High Concept too.

LogFileLocation.jpg
    1921 x 1080 - 122K
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,104
    edited April 2020

I use HTML-Kit 292 (scroll down the page for the free one) to open the Log File and then Ctrl A which selects it all but more important takes you to the bottom of the log where you will find the render time, you might need to scroll up a bit depending on what actions have been performed after the render stopped. I then highlight the line with the render time, Ctrl C to copy it, open the saved image in IrfanView, click on Info, choose Comment from the popup, CtrlV to paste and then Save which saves the information to the .jpg image, then Ctrl S to save the image with the info. When I want to see how long a render took I open the image in IrfanView, select Info and open the Comment.

Before closing HTML-Kit I Ctrl A to select it all, Delete and Save,  It asks if you want to save an empty file so select Yes and it saves the Log File which is then empty.

Post edited by Fishtales on
  • Log file location:C:\Users\"Username"\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4; log.txt

You'll need to turn on "Show hidden files" in folder options(windows control panel) to make the appdata folder visible in explorer.

You can adjust the number of lines of code it'll display. Default is over 1million lines.

The log contains that info. Just don't shut down or start a new render.

This is partially incorrect.

Unless you do something that adds to the log file, it will cut off and you may not have the information/render time required, see attached image, log 1.

You'll either need to save the render, start a new render, shut down DS, or do something that adds to the log file.

So we will have to create our own log file if we need to track multiple renders (separate from the specific-image log)?

If you use a program like notepad++, to open the log file, you can keep multiple copies of the log file. Even if you don't manually save each, it will maintain a autobackup on disk. Just select Yes when it asks if you want to keep it in memory when the file is changed in DS.

(located:C:\Users\"userName"\AppData\Roaming\Notepad++\backup)

And we will have to try to match up that log file with the actual renders?

When you save the render, the log file notes that name/location immediately after the render stats.

See attached, log 2.

you can either save the log as a new file, using the render name, or simply save the log and search it later for the render name.

You could also increase the log file size, until it can't be opened in a text editor(don't ask me i'm not sure at what point that happens), and just keep adding to it, using the search function to find particular data.

Doc Acme said:
      So if ya shut down then re start DS, you'll just have a ton more lines to scroll through to find your last render time is all.

Unless you open a scene or start constructing a new one, DS only adds about 600 lines to the file.

you can also use ctrl+F to find either, r.png(temp file name) or the name of the saved image in the log file. No scrolling necessary.

Doc Acme said:
    I guess a Purge the Log function is a bit High Concept too.

While i can't find a particular way to do it in software, you can manually delete the file.

C:\Users\"user name"\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4; log.txt.

Fishtales said:

I use HTML-Kit 292 (scroll down the page for the free one) to open the Log File and then Ctrl A which selects it all but more important takes you to the bottom of the log where you will find the render time, you might need to scroll up a bit depending on what actions have been performed after the render stopped. I then highlight the line with the render time, Ctrl C to copy it, open the saved image in IrfanView, click on Info, choose Comment from the popup, CtrlV to paste and then Save which saves the information to the .jpg image, then Ctrl S to save the image with the info. When I want to see how long a render took I open the image in IrfanView, select Info and open the Comment.

Before closing HTML-Kit I Ctrl A to select it all, Delete and Save,  It asks if you want to save an empty file so select Yes and it saves the Log File which is then empty.

Notepad(regular windows version), does the same drop to bottom when ctrl+A is used. Notepad++ does not though.

Ctrl+F:Total Rendering Time, will find it faster.

In Notpad you do need to include the capitalization to find it.

In Notepad++, the capitalization is not necessary.

Irfanview isn't necessary for adding comments.

In windows explorer, turn on the Properties pane, and the option to Add comment will be there.

You'll also be able to see the comment in the Properties popout(right click>Properties), without needing to open a secondary program.

Note: The comment option will depend on the file type. Jpg does support it while PNG does not.

log 1.jpg
    1366 x 768 - 488K
    log 2.png
    1366 x 768 - 166K
    log size.jpg
    1366 x 768 - 252K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,461
    edited April 2020

Help>Troubleshooting>View Log File will open the log in the default application for .txt files (if one is set). Edited to add - also, using the help menu command ensures that the buffer is flushed to the log file - if you use another method to open it then soem entries may be as yet held internally and not written to the log (something I wasn't fully aware of, though I did know that DS held log entries in a buffer to avoid writing when I/O was busy).

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Are there any plans to add an EXIF-like statistics-section to each render (not necessarily in the render file itself but in a file that is easily associated with it)?

In Photoshop, all you have to do is click to see image stats. It would be extremely useful to have something like this but render-specific. When we tweak things and do test renders to try to figure out ways to optimize our workflow, it's counterproductive that we either lose the information or have to scavenge through hundreds of lines of log files to find it.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Are there any plans to add an EXIF-like statistics-section to each render (not necessarily in the render file itself but in a file that is easily associated with it)?

In Photoshop, all you have to do is click to see image stats. It would be extremely useful to have something like this but render-specific. When we tweak things and do test renders to try to figure out ways to optimize our workflow, it's counterproductive that we either lose the information or have to scavenge through hundreds of lines of log files to find it.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5515066/#Comment_5515066

Chohole, thanks for the cross-link. That kind of information would be very helpful, but I didn't get the impression that render time was part of the info.

Maybe a script could be created that searches and condenses the render info in the log file to a more targeted file on behalf of a user, with a popup for quick access. I personally don't have time to learn the plugin interface for DS software and to write scripts in addition to earning a living and working on my 3d art, but perhaps DAZ or a plugin developer might consider this.