Help needed - Character Converter G8F to G3F

tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,696

Hi everyone,

I've just gotten the said Character Converter [G8F to G3F] because I'm mainly using G3, but still want to make use of the lovely G8 characters out there. Right now, I'm trying to convert some Mousso women to G3, and I'm always running into the same problem. When the settings are just right for the face and body - tolerance 0, "hide eyes" unchecked - there are ugly break rings appearing in the eyes, I don't really have a clue how this happens. You can see them in my attached (half-baked) renders of Mousso's Albany character. They are specially clear with the dark eyes, but quite noticeable in the lighter ones too. Now, if I check "hide eyes" instead, the irises become totally distorted, so this doesn't seem to be an option. Anyone have any ideas what's causing this, and especially, how to avoid / fix this? Because otherwise, I'm really happy with the results!

I've seen the original thread on this version of the character converter (https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/351696/released-character-converter-from-genesis-8-female-to-genesis-3-female-conv-jcms-too-commercial/p1) but I'm not getting much better results with the legacy process as recommended there. Also, I would just really like to know what is happening with the eyes, technically speaking. Maybe there's a way to simply fix them afterwards?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks! And stay safe, everyone.

AlbanyConverted_Rings.png
800 x 1200 - 1M
AlbanyConverted_Rings2.png
800 x 1200 - 2M
Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• From what I understand Genesis 8 Females have different geometry than that of the Genesis 3 Females regarding the eyes. You also have to understand that you will not get an exact 100% match from one to the other.

Also, that thread you linked has the following stated within the OP.

"The Character Converter script cannot properly convert all Genesis 8 Female characters. Characters with extreme morphs may have problems, especially around the eyes."

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,696

Hey ParallaxCreates, thanks for your ideas, yes I saw that statement. But the Albany character doesn‘t have any extreme morphs really, so that shouldn‘t be the cause. Still wondering ... 

• RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,514

Hi everyone,

I've just gotten the said Character Converter [G8F to G3F] because I'm mainly using G3, but still want to make use of the lovely G8 characters out there. Right now, I'm trying to convert some Mousso women to G3, and I'm always running into the same problem. When the settings are just right for the face and body - tolerance 0, "hide eyes" unchecked - there are ugly break rings appearing in the eyes, I don't really have a clue how this happens. You can see them in my attached (half-baked) renders of Mousso's Albany character. They are specially clear with the dark eyes, but quite noticeable in the lighter ones too. Now, if I check "hide eyes" instead, the irises become totally distorted, so this doesn't seem to be an option. Anyone have any ideas what's causing this, and especially, how to avoid / fix this? Because otherwise, I'm really happy with the results!

I've seen the original thread on this version of the character converter (https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/351696/released-character-converter-from-genesis-8-female-to-genesis-3-female-conv-jcms-too-commercial/p1) but I'm not getting much better results with the legacy process as recommended there. Also, I would just really like to know what is happening with the eyes, technically speaking. Maybe there's a way to simply fix them afterwards?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks! And stay safe, everyone.

I would not go to tolerance 0.  A very low tolerance, 0.0005, but not lower.  There will be slight distortions in the eyes no matter what. Also, remember to delete the morphs before converting the head again as that is faster and you ensure the old, "bad" morph is gone.  You can just delete the FHM morph and leave the others, with "Overwrite morphs" unchecked it will be faster.  The morphs are in data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs under the FIRST directory for Daz Studio Formats specified in the Content Directory Manager

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,696

Since RiversoftArt has been so nice to answer in the product related thread as well, which is probably more fitting anyway, I‘ll stop posting here and just run home and try out his advice. Thanks again!