Paige Dressus Buttus Stickoutus

mavantemavante Posts: 734

I think that's the correct technical Latin phrase. I am having the dickens of a time trying to get the Paige Dress—which I absolutely love for the project I'm currently doing—to "do right," as we say down South.

I'm attaching an image to show what I'm having trouble with (see technical-term title). This is a WIP, so please ignore anything else in the screen grab, such with her pose and position right now: If I can't get the dress to "drape" sensibly in the pose with her leaning over looking at the jukebox, then I'm going to have to back out and try something else. I can't find any controls/morphs for the dress that fix this. 

I also need to have her stand up from that pose, turn around, and look at a camera dollying toward from behind, so I've got to get some control over this dress somehow.

Anybody know any magic tricks for this? Or even just down-to-retro-Earth tips?

ETA: It's also frustrating how the texture "stretches" and gets distorted with the dress shape. Anybody know any way to overcome that, too?

PaigeDressStickout.png
882 x 529 - 529K
Post edited by mavante on

Comments

• Have you tried to apply a dForce modifier and run a simulation?

If it will drape nicely then the stretching matter should iron itself out. If not, one way to fix up a stretch is via making a morph on it to smooth out the uvmap over that area.

If it does not drape nicely, then again one could make a morph.

• mavantemavante Posts: 734

Have you tried to apply a dForce modifier and run a simulation?

If it will drape nicely then the stretching matter should iron itself out. If not, one way to fix up a stretch is via making a morph on it to smooth out the uvmap over that area.

If it does not drape nicely, then again one could make a morph.

Thank you, Catherine. I fear you grossly overestimate my morph-making knowledge or skills. To answer your first question, yes, I did try to apply a dForce modifier and run a simulation on it. I got to watch a spinning beachball (it's a Mac thing) for 10 minutes, resulting in a frozen program and a spectacular crash. (So far, that pretty well sums up all of my very limited experience with dForce.)

I guess I'm going to have to turn to some other wardrobe choice. 

• QuixotryQuixotry Posts: 911

Maybe look up push modifiers. I've never used them myself, but I think I've seen people here mention that they can be used to fix things like that. 

Quixotry said:

Maybe look up push modifiers. I've never used them myself, but I think I've seen people here mention that they can be used to fix things like that. 

Thanks, Quixotry. I have no experience with push modifiers, either, but will find out what I can about them and see if that offers any hope.

But meanwhile, I just stumbled across something in your own gallery (of all places) that is offering me perhaps more hope: 

Use Dforce To Make A Short Skirt Longer

If I can get that trick to work on one of the shortish dresses I have in my Daz assets, I may be able to "make" a skirt that has that '50s feel, but will "do right."

What a great trick! Thanks for having that presented.

(And you have some beautiful renders in your gallery, as a bonus!)

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,367
    mavante said:
    Quixotry said:

Thanks, Quixotry. I have no experience with push modifiers, either, but will find out what I can about them and see if that offers any hope.

But meanwhile, I just stumbled across something in your own gallery (of all places) that is offering me perhaps more hope: 

If I can get that trick to work on one of the shortish dresses I have in my Daz assets, I may be able to "make" a skirt that has that '50s feel, but will "do right."

I would have thought you may have better luck with dformers rather than a push modifier, or if you have Mesh Grabber that would possibly be easier.

scorpio said:
    mavante said:
    Quixotry said:

I would have thought you may have better luck with dformers rather than a push modifier, or if you have Mesh Grabber that would possibly be easier.

I may try a dformer once my current timeline render completes, and once I look up how to use them, but Mac users have been left out for Mesh Grabber.

• QuixotryQuixotry Posts: 911

I found this on How to Use a Push Modifier, in case it's helpful. I had forgotten about dformers. That's probably also a good thing to investigate.

Aw, thanks. I'm glad you like the dforce skirt trick. I hope it's handy for you. I'm using a Mac as well, so I know dforce can be an awkward/slow solution for Mac users, but it does make skirts and dresses drape so much more naturally when it works. Good luck! I hope you find a trick that works for you. :)

• wmiller314wmiller314 Posts: 184

@mavante Maybe she has a vestigial tail?

edited March 2020

@mavante Maybe she has a vestigial tail?

laugh I think she's also growing horns. devil

I've since sent the Paige Dress to the virtual Goodwill Store, and have now draped the character in the Alicia dForce (shudder) dress. I did manage to run a simulation on it last night without dForce crashing my computer (a first), and it did cure the Buttus Stickoutus syndrome. But now I've got so many other issues relative to dForce and animation that I'm starting a new thread on that, hoping someone can help me figure it out. That thread is about to be launched in this subforum, called "How do you animate a character in a dForce outfit?"

Post edited by mavante on
  • @mavante Maybe she has a vestigial tail?

@wmiller314 Better check the mesh... sometimes the simplest explanation is the correct one.