Hidden geometry, via Geometry Editor, becomes visible again after re-opening the scene file.

FlortaleFlortale Posts: 611

Hidden geometry, via Geometry Editor, becomes visible again after re-opening the scene file.

When I hide geometry using the geometry editor, save my scene, then re-open it, the hidden geometry becomes visible again. How do I make the polygons that I hid stay invisible?

I basically select the polygon on the hair, i grow the selection, I do hide selected polygons, everything works fine.  When I save and re-opent he scene file, the polygons I hid become visible again.

Post edited by Flortale on

Comments

• Silent WinterSilent Winter Posts: 3,693

This is by design (though I'd prefer them to stay hidden like you) - to remove them completely, choose 'delete hidden polygons' from the menu (I think it's under 'Geometry editing')

• FlortaleFlortale Posts: 611

This is by design (though I'd prefer them to stay hidden like you) - to remove them completely, choose 'delete hidden polygons' from the menu (I think it's under 'Geometry editing')

Got it, thanks :)

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,798

Alternatively, if you don't want to permanently delete those polygons, create a new surface from the polygons you select in Geometry Editor and then set its opacity to zero.

• Alternatively, if you don't want to permanently delete those polygons, create a new surface from the polygons you select in Geometry Editor and then set its opacity to zero.

or create a new bone with the Geemtry Editor, create a new group with the polygons you want hidden, and set the group as the selection set for the bone - you can then hide/show the bone (the slight benefit being that a transparent surface is still sent to the render engine while a hidden bone isn't).

• edited March 2022

Richard Haseltine said:

Alternatively, if you don't want to permanently delete those polygons, create a new surface from the polygons you select in Geometry Editor and then set its opacity to zero.

or create a new bone with the Geemtry Editor, create a new group with the polygons you want hidden, and set the group as the selection set for the bone - you can then hide/show the bone (the slight benefit being that a transparent surface is still sent to the render engine while a hidden bone isn't).

thx

Post edited by talpozio_52de69a8ef on
  • I assume you have the polygons youn want to hide selected, since it's only the last step you query.

1. with the Geometry Editor active right-click>Geometry Assignment>Create Group from Selected, call it what you wish (e.g. HideLeftEar)
    2. Activate Tool>Joint editor
    3. Make sure the figur or its hip are seelcted - the nearer the root bone your new bone is placed the quicker it will be to find (for hiding you can just seelct it by clicking in the Viewport, but nce hidden if you want to show it you will need to go via the Scene pane)
    4. Right-click>Edit>Create new Bone (from memory), give it a name (e.g. Hide Left Ear) and leave everything else at default since it isn't going to do anything
    5. In the Tool Settings pane look at the Selection Group button at top-right, click it, and select the group from step 1

That should be it - you now have a bone in the Scene pane that you can use to show or hide the geometry.