D-force hair not rendering! [Solved-I was an idiot!]

takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,957

D-force hair does not render, I tried reinstalling D-Force essentials, set the Render Line Tessellation Sides to 3, (They were already set) I even have the geom editor deselected, and still, only the skullcaps render; not even the guide hairs are rendering! Why am I alone in this? I even re-installed both Gen Release and beta of DS; any help will be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Forget the above post, my issue has been resolved as I was going by the preview iray render and not the full render; I am such an idiot; thanks everyone for your input!

Post edited by takezo_3001 on

Comments

• Iray or 3Delight? Have you tried the other?

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,957

Iray or 3Delight? Have you tried the other?

Iray, and I haven't tried 3Dlite yet...

Tried both Iray and 3dlite and still no dice, it seems that I can render pre-strand-based D-force hair, but not the newer version D-Force hair, nor strand-based hair as well!

• felisfelis Posts: 4,200

If you create a primitive and apply strand based hair. Does that render?

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,391

Maybe try reinstalling the dForce starter essentials which contains the shaders used by strand-based / dForce hair?

felis said:

If you create a primitive and apply strand based hair. Does that render?

Only the guide hairs renders... 

Leana said:

Maybe try reinstalling the dForce starter essentials which contains the shaders used by strand-based / dForce hair?

Already tried that, I think it may be the strand-based-hair plugin that's acting up!

• dForce hair fit to/parented to the correct figure?

dForce hair fit to/parented to the correct figure?

Yes, yes it is, it, when it loads, it automatically fits to the character as I have the char selected... It may be that the strand-based hair is acting up as it doesn't render either!

edited March 2020

Thanks anyways everyone for your input, but it looks like I'm stuck with a plugin that refuses to work! I even re-located/reinstalled the program/cms to the default locations, it looks like I'm not going to be able to render/use the strand-based hair, last resort is to install an earlier version of DS!

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

Maybe attach a scene file with only the problem assets?   There might be some pesky thingy that's turned off by oops?

edited March 2020

Thanks anyways everyone for your input, but it looks like I'm stuck with a plugin that refuses to work! I even re-located/reinstalled the program to the default locations, it looks like I'm not going to be able to render/use the strand-based hair, last resort is to install an earlier version of DS!

Sevrin said:

Maybe attach a scene file with only the problem assets?   There might be some pesky thingy that's turned off by oops?

Ok, let me prep a scene file!

EDIT: Here's the scene file!

• felisfelis Posts: 4,200

This is what it look like if I render your scene.

Test_hair_result.png
    1440 x 900 - 688K
    edited March 2020
    felis said:

This is what it look like if I render your scene.

Holy s***! I just did a full render and both the D-force, and the Strand-based hair DID show up, I was going by the preview render!

I feel like such an idiot; consider this issue solved, thanks so much for your help!

• QuixotryQuixotry Posts: 911

Don't feel like an idiot. Dforce hair is set up to not show in preview modes to help  keep the hair from hogging resources on your computer, so it's odd if you're used to other types of hair props that just show as you would expect. If you want to see dforce hair in the preview render, be sure to do this:

With the hair selected, go to the Parameters tab. Turn Preview PR Hairs on and set Line Tessilation to 2 or 3. That will make everything show in a preview render. This will probably cause lag in your viewport, though. My DS slows down drastically with dforce hair showing all the time like that, so I only change those settings to check how light looks on the hair, then reset them to the default. :)

Quixotry said:

Don't feel like an idiot. Dforce hair is set up to not show in preview modes to help  keep the hair from hogging resources on your computer, so it's odd if you're used to other types of hair props that just show as you would expect. If you want to see dforce hair in the preview render, be sure to do this:

With the hair selected, go to the Parameters tab. Turn Preview PR Hairs on and set Line Tessilation to 2 or 3. That will make everything show in a preview render. This will probably cause lag in your viewport, though. My DS slows down drastically with dforce hair showing all the time like that, so I only change those settings to check how light looks on the hair, then reset them to the default. :)

Thanks for saying so, that's very kind of you; but yeah, I ended up setting the View-port Line Tessellation Sides to 2 and I can see the wisps of hair in the preview render, I can now start setting up my hair in earnest! 

• JTL2JTL2 Posts: 46

Thanks everyone! I've spent the last hour trying to figure out why the hairs weren't rendering in iray preview. Cheers! 

laugh

• These instructions for seeing dForce hair in render preview mode are not working for me.   Any idea what I might be missing here? 

Quixotry said:

• AnkiAnki Posts: 31

Some dforce hairs don't work at all for me. 

I'm trying out Wilona hair (https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-wilona-hair-for-genesis-3-and-8) and it just won't appear in the render (or iray preview).

What gives ?

• Anki said:

Some dforce hairs don't work at all for me. 

I'm trying out Wilona hair (https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-wilona-hair-for-genesis-3-and-8) and it just won't appear in the render (or iray preview).

What gives ?

What is your exact version of DS - Help>About Daz Studio?

edited January 2021

Thanks for the quick answer.

My DS version is 4.14.0.8, which I believe is the latest ? Are there known issues with this version concerning dforce ? I'm getting some strange bugs on dforce clothing as well when using "start bones from memorized pose" option, it simulates normally and then suddenly the clothing is thrown far away (see pic below, lot of wind that day xD). If I don't use "start bones from memorized pose" the mesh gets stuck somewhere in the character, depending on the pose.

Post edited by Anki on
  • I was just making sure you had a new enough version, that oen shold be fine as far as I know. Try using the Defaults button in Simulation Settings and render Settings, if you haven't, and see if you can simulate and render then.

• I just tried, the hair on Genesis 8 Female renders for me if figue and hair are loaded into an empty scene.

edited January 2021

It's working !

I reinstalled the hair, reloaded a fresh one, and reset simulation settings to default like you said.

Thanks so much for helping me, again. Have a great day and an awesome new year !

PS : In the Styles and Poses of the hair (in content library), you can turn "preview hair on" and "preview render on" to see it in the preview window in texture shaded and Iray.

Post edited by Anki on
  • Hola. Soy nuevo en Daz y empecé a probar cabellos D force, parecería que funciona y puedo modificar todos los parámetros, pero cuando quiero renderizar, automáticamente Daz deja de funcionar. Alguien podría decirme si es un error solucionable o mi pc no tiene la fuerza suficiente para soportar renderizarlo?