DS 4.12 Loading a new character does not reset all morphs. Why?

When I start Daz Studio, an empty scene comes up. Then when I load the Genesis 8 female character, it is not in its zeroed, stock shape. Instead, morphs from other G8F characters, that I had used in the past are applied to the base character.  This occurs not only with all directly loadable characters, but also characters that are applied to a preloaded base G8F. What is causing this behavior? Is it to be expected?  That is, is this a bug or ist it a feature?

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,392
    edited March 2020

That means some morphs have been saved with a non-zero default value. The fact that DS applies the default value automatically is normal, but those morphs were most probably not intended to be saved with a non-zero default value

First you'll need to identify which morphs are used, so you can correct the morph default value. Can you see them when you look in the "currently used" section of the parameter pane after loading the base figure?

Post edited by Leana on
  • Thank you for your response, Leana. Do you mean that when I save a scene that includes morphed figures and then close the programs those morphs are supposed to stick around in Daz studio, to be applied in the next scene I create? They do, obviously, and I do not see how that could be  anything but a bug in Studio.  If I understand what you are saying, to avoid having residual morphs when I finish working on a scene and save it, then I need to zero out every morph in the scene and then quit without saving the scene. That is not a good work flow for sure.

What you suggest in your second statement is fine enough for determining which morphs they are but I cannot see them until I load a new character. The character can be one that I never used before and had nothing at all to do with the morphs applied to a character in the previous scene, Yet when I load it, there are the morphs from the previous character. I have to go through the parameters of the newly loaded character, guess which of the parameters came with the character and which were imposed by studio based on the last character to zero them so that I get the new character with only its attached morphs. That has to be a bug, doesn't it.?

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677
    edited March 2020

It's usually a vendor mistake, a morph you bought or freebie, not a user mistake. You have to save in a specific way to get morphs to get stuck like that, just saving scenes doesn't do it.

Post edited by TheKD on
  • Thank you for your response, KD. Is it possible that somehow I overwrote the generic Genesis 8 female so that those poses are now part of it? If I uninstal the G8 Female and reinstall it will it break any of my current G8 Figures? I guess that's hard for anyone to know.  I'll try that and report back. 

• Just tried: closed daz studio, opened DIM uninstalled G8F body morphs, G8F powerpose templates, and G8F starter essentials. reinstalled same, opened Daz studio (V 4.12.0.86 Pro edition for Windows 10 64bit), loaded the G8 basic female character into an empty scene. All the unwanted preset morphs are still there. That imples either (1) everything about the G8F figure was not actually uninstalled, or (2) this info is inside daz studio itself.  Any clues as to what is going on here?

• Here are the preset morphs that are loaded with the G8F basic female: Scale: 92%, SC Lucy Body: 100%, Teen Josie Body: 50%, Eyelashes Curl: 100%, Eyelashes length lower: 100%, Eyelashes length upper: 100%, Head propagating scale:1.4%, SC Lucy head: 100%, Teen Josie head: 50%, Navel 100%. 

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,392
    edited March 2020

Thank you for your response, Leana. Do you mean that when I save a scene that includes morphed figures and then close the programs those morphs are supposed to stick around in Daz studio, to be applied in the next scene I create? They do, obviously, and I do not see how that could be  anything but a bug in Studio.  If I understand what you are saying, to avoid having residual morphs when I finish working on a scene and save it, then I need to zero out every morph in the scene and then quit without saving the scene. That is not a good work flow for sure.

That's not what I meant, morphs values don't "stick" when you save a scene.

When you load the base G8F or any saved figure, DS will read the list of G8F morphs you have to build the dials available in the parameters tab, then for each morph it will look in the .duf file you loaded to see if there's a reference to that morph with a specific value listed: if there's one, it will apply it, if not it will apply the default value for that morph.

For example, the default value for the "Eyelashes Length Lower" morph is 100%:

So unless the .duf file you load explicitely lists a different value for that morph, it will automatically be set to 100% when the figure is loaded. Most morphs have a default value of 0, so they will be set to 0 unless a specific value is included in the .duf file you load.

That behavior is normal and allows DS to handle morphs which were installed after the .duf file was created: the .duf file can't include a value for the new morph as it didn't exist at the time it was saved, so DS uses the default value for that morph when loading your file.

The problem you face is that some morphs you installed (usually from a character) have a default value which should be 0 but isn't. The .duf files for the base or from your saved scenes don't include values for that particular morph, so the default value is used, and so it loads automatically every time.

What needs to be fixed is not the base G8F or your scene, which don't include a value for that morph, it's the morph asset with the non-zero default value. That's why I said we need to find out which morph that is.

morphs parameters.PNG
    377 x 509 - 72K
    Post edited by Leana on
  • Thank you, Leana. You are being most helpful. But please bear with me; I still don't completely get it. It makes sense that when you load a figure that does not have a particular morph attached to it -- e.g. the G8 basic female -- the parameter's default will be set by the studio program. But that does mean that those defaults are in the program itself or a database it loads automatically, doesn't it. Where else could they come from?  So my question becomes: If it does not happen when I save a figure or close the program, how do I reset those non-zero defaults to zero? I cannot do it without a figure being loaded because the parameters pane is empty. Is there a master list of default parameters that can be set without a figure being loaded? or perhaps even while ds studio is not running?

Again, Leana thank you for your generous help. I greatly appreciate it!

Alan

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,262
    edited March 2020

Here are the preset morphs that are loaded with the G8F basic female: Scale: 92%, SC Lucy Body: 100%, Teen Josie Body: 50%, Eyelashes Curl: 100%, Eyelashes length lower: 100%, Eyelashes length upper: 100%, Head propagating scale:1.4%, SC Lucy head: 100%, Teen Josie head: 50%, Navel 100%. 

https://www.daz3d.com/sc-lucy-for-teen-josie-8

In a fresh scene, load the G8F figure. If the above mentioned morphs {for Lucy and Josie} are listed as being used, try downloading and installing a fresh copy of Lucy for Teen Josie and see if that fixes the problem. If not, then a CS ticket needs to be filed to have the product fixed.

In the meantime, close D/S - search in the data folder for G8F ... Morphs ... Second Circle? ... find the morph for Lucy. One can use 7zip to decrypt it if necessary. Find the line wherein mention is made of the morphs [one for Lucy and one for Josie] having a value of "1" or anything aside from "0" -- make it a "0" and save the file. 

Then when you open D/S and load G8F, those morphs should not be already applied.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • TannimTannim Posts: 43
    Funny enough, I found this thread because I'm trying to track down a problem with a different SC character, Lauren, I load her and she's super gaunt, even if I used other morphs she just stays gaunt with the new details
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014

Easiest way to handle these;

1. Load your base figure or the developer version.

2. Zero the figure

3. Memorize the figure

4. File->Save As->Support Asset->Save Modified Assets

This procedure will zero the default value in the ill-behaving morph.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

@PerttiA

That may not be the issue. This problem most often occurs when a user has inadvertantly saved some morphs over the base figure. The easy way to tell is if the base Genesis 8 or Victoria 8 or whatever has the same issue.

One can also select the "guant" SC character, go to the parameters tab ans view the "used" morphs to see what is causing the issue.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014
    fastbike1 said:

@PerttiA

That may not be the issue. This problem most often occurs when a user has inadvertantly saved some morphs over the base figure. The easy way to tell is if the base Genesis 8 or Victoria 8 or whatever has the same issue.

One can also select the "guant" SC character, go to the parameters tab ans view the "used" morphs to see what is causing the issue.

"Most often"? I would disagree, how does one even save the morphs "over the base figure", and even if this was true, it could easily be corrected by re-installation of the relevant Starter Essentials, which "many" have tried without any success.

If the user has installed a character called "Goblin", which has the default value saved at 100%, then each and every figure/character using the same base figure, has the "Goblin" activated when opened after the installation of "Goblin", even in scenes you have saved some 6 months ago and never opened since - That's just the way DS and Genesis 1-8 figures works.

The procedure that I gave, corrects the situation by changing the default value of "Goblin" to 0% for good, which corrects the problem for all figures/characters using the same base figure.

• I agree with lamoid. There is  some kind of bug in the studio. I have Daz Studio 4.12 pro. I loaded the Genesis 8 character in the studio and the mouth and hips were morphed. I can reset the shape, but as soon as I load another character in (either applied to the figure or standing alone) It still morphed. I tried to just zero the hips and mouth, but nothing. I tried to reinstall the Genesis 8 figure and still morphed. I tried to reinstall the entire studio, and still the Genesis 8 female figure still morphed. So now I'm going to try to erase all of the data and reinstall it and see what happens

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

I agree with lamoid. There is  some kind of bug in the studio. I have Daz Studio 4.12 pro. I loaded the Genesis 8 character in the studio and the mouth and hips were morphed. I can reset the shape, but as soon as I load another character in (either applied to the figure or standing alone) It still morphed. I tried to just zero the hips and mouth, but nothing. I tried to reinstall the Genesis 8 figure and still morphed. I tried to reinstall the entire studio, and still the Genesis 8 female figure still morphed. So now I'm going to try to erase all of the data and reinstall it and see what happens

Please note what has already been said in the thread.   At some stage you have managed to save or load a character which has the non default morph settings.   There are several free characters which have this behaviour and do affect all of your othjer characters.  You need to investigate,  identify the guilty character and remove it completely.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,366
    Chohole said:

I agree with lamoid. There is  some kind of bug in the studio. I have Daz Studio 4.12 pro. I loaded the Genesis 8 character in the studio and the mouth and hips were morphed. I can reset the shape, but as soon as I load another character in (either applied to the figure or standing alone) It still morphed. I tried to just zero the hips and mouth, but nothing. I tried to reinstall the Genesis 8 figure and still morphed. I tried to reinstall the entire studio, and still the Genesis 8 female figure still morphed. So now I'm going to try to erase all of the data and reinstall it and see what happens

Please note what has already been said in the thread.   At some stage you have managed to save or load a character which has the non default morph settings.   There are several free characters which have this behaviour and do affect all of your othjer characters.  You need to investigate,  identify the guilty character and remove it completely.

There are also paid for characters that do it.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,936
    scorpio said:
    Chohole said:

There are also paid for characters that do it.

Yes, even Daz Store characters. At least then you can submit a help request about the problem, and maybe it will eventually be fixed. But first, the onus is on you to figure out what character is the problem character. Sometimes the morph name is a good clue. Sometimes it is too vague.