Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 7

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,548
    edited December 1969

@David - thank you. Sometimes boring is to be preferred over dramatic, particularly when it gets so dramatic that property gets lost.

@Jamie - thank you.

@Roland4 - thank you. Your newest gorge looks fine.

@Tim Bateman - stone arch looks great. Backdrop photo fits nicely. Experimenting would sound more scientific than playing around, but this is the way to discover new things.

@mermaid010 - thank you. Great tennis balls (haven't had the time to play with Wings3D). Not easy to get a good material in them.

@Dave - great result of your doodling. I like the rock figure that looks like a sentry.

Been also playing around a bit with the new terrains, here Craggy-Coastline.

Craggy-Coastline.jpg
    1200 x 600 - 141K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

I've been on with this one for a few days and kept abandoning it and doing something else instead (otherwise it gets frustrating when it constantly turns out 'not quite right')... It' still not quite right but I think I'll call it done.

It was a happy accident that I just had to take advantage of. The terrain when stacked (only 2 stacked together) presented a great little farm track, so I built around it.

StackTrack.jpg
    1111 x 500 - 293K
  • Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited September 2014

@Horo - its not a normal photo background its a proper HDRI, well ...made from a photo :) ....here's another using the same HDRI ,...oh and PS, the last render you posted is great! ...i really love coastline scenes :) ...is that scene made from stacking terrains, or is it just 1 ?

HMS_Victory.jpg
    1194 x 563 - 186K
    Post edited by Tim82 on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,398
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @mermaid: Those two are neat looking. I couldn't even get a different color for the first tennis ball, you did well.

Thanks Guss. I think you missed the part where David applies the materials to both sections of the 1st ball. ;)

Dave - your doodle and the little farm track are awesome,

Horo- Thanks, the Craggy-Coastline render is beautiful.

Tim Bateman – another beautiful render.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

@ Dave, I think it's a really nice render. Then again, I wouldn't expect anything else from you.

That said, as I looked it over I saw a couple of things, but not sure if you (or anyone else) would agree. First, the view isn't "going down the road" so to speak, so I wonder if the viewer is standing still on the side of the road. Then I noticed that the fencing on both sides of the road seen to end abruptly even though the road goes on into the distance.

The only other thing is what looks like a distant tree at the top of the mountain on the left. It's so far away it's hard to see. Maybe a couple/three trees on the slope down toward the foreground if you think that part of the image is too naked. Just my 2¢, for what it's worth.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

@TheSavage64, I like the countryside render. I actually get a completely different feeling from Miss B on the same points, amusingly enough. I like that the fence doesn't follow the entire road (and actually I do see random fence sections like that on lots of trails around here; they tend to put them places where people keep wandering off the path, or along steeper sections (which could be just off picture on the right and left foreground here, perhaps a creek going through a culvert under the road), or sometimes seemingly totally at random for short areas even though the rest of the trail or roadway doesn't have them. And while I agree that it seems as though the viewer is standing on the side of the road, I think that's fine. Possibly because being centered on the road would seem a little more contrived (like centering your subject in the scene), or possibly because I just walk on the edge of the road, not sure.

@Tim Bateman, very nice ship render. You know, I've been sitting on a few really nice sailing ships for years and years now, I just haven't decided on the best way to present them. I feel guilty not using these awesome models yet.

@Horo, nice render. That water looks especially inviting given the frequency of days over 90 degrees this summer.

edited September 2014

Thanks Mermaid and Miss B :-)

Miss B, to explain:

One summer morning, farmer Micklethwaite got out of his old worn bed and looked out of his window. Seeing a clear blue sky and some distant clouds thinning out on the strengthening heat of the sun, he had an urge to take the half hour journey to the West end of his farm to check that the sheep he kept in the barren hills were doing good and that the spring lambs were all in good health.
    Pulling on his Wellington boots, he walked across the yard and decided on a whim to take his old 1960 50TD Trackmaster Tractor because he'd spent the weekend underneath it fixing that oil leak it had developed late last autumn as he was bringing in the silage harvest.

Giving a shrill whistle he jumped up into the basic sprung seat and responding to the call, his faithful collie dog Mr Biscuit sprinted from the morning shade of the open barn and bounded across the yard ignoring the scattering chickens as he headed toward the vintage vehicle. In one leap more than four times his own height, he was sitting panting beside his master and excited at the prospect of a ride.

Heading out of the farmyard Micklethaite had to negotiate a few abandoned and worse for wear trailers before turning right along the deep rutted track that headed up into the hills. After a pleasant drive of about 15 minutes during which time he was satisfied that his pride and joy was running fine (except for a few groans and that distinct clunk at every gear change) and with the morning sun at his back, he marveled at the lush green grass clinging to the hillside and the rocky outcrops almost glistening in the brightening sunshine. Looking around as he drove, he was now approaching the steeper hills favoured by the Scottish Blackface sheep he kept but he was surprised to find that there were none on the lower slopes. Looking up to his left, the single standing stone stood like a sentry guarding the valley. Once part of a circle of stones but they had been removed during one of the darker periods in history when Pagan symbols were not so respected and religious paranoia was rife in those parts. Indeed, all the stones had been removed and it was only by good fortune that Micklethaite's great grandfather had found one of the massive stones buried deep and hidden, while he was digging a ditch at the turn of the 20th century. He had recognised the stone from historical records and etchings made in the 16th century and he had dragged the stone back up the hillside and embedded it back into it's correct place with the help of his oxen.

As the memory of this old family story was playing out in his mind, Micklethwaite pulled to the side of the track and turned off the powerhouse David Brown engine and sat in silence wondering at the task his father's father had undertaken. Here in almost the middle of nowhere, a giant stone had been put on rough wheels and dragged up a hill by one man and a big cow. That simple act of restoration done long before restoration and preservation had become fashionable had left not only a legacy but a landmark by which all the folks for miles around could pin point their position in the rolling hills.

Remembering he had work to do and animals to tend to, he turned the ignition and a thick cloud of smoke bellowed from the upright exhaust pipe, the old diesel engine roared and just as he was about to select a gear, he noticed that the fence he was constructing to mark the track, still needed finishing. He'd no doubt get some ear ache from Mrs Micklethwaite if he didn't sort that out soon because she had ordered it so that the regular ramblers and hikers weren't tempted onto the hillside where they would no doubt disturb the sheep and lambs.

A quick calculation in his head using his countless years of experience told him that he'd need to order some more timber from the builder's merchants in town and it was as he was scanning the track directly in front of him that he noticed what looked for all the world like a strange burned patch.
    "What in heaven's name's been going on here?" he turned and asked Mr Biscuit.
    Of course Mr Biscuit couldn't answer, but the night before he had been woken from his sleep by a strange distant noise and had crept out of the barn and stealthily headed up that very track and had seen what was happening. But all he could do was to cock his head to one side and his tongue slipped out of his mouth causing Mr Micklethwate to laugh a deep belly laugh. "Why am I asking you?" he chuckled. "You're not going to know"

And what had Mr Biscuit seen the previous night?

StackTrackALT.jpg
    1111 x 500 - 238K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited December 1969

The best explanation I've heard all year.

:-)

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Horo: I think, so far, that image comes the closest to a real photo. It is gorgeous.

@Dave: First image is a great looking image. I'd say someone forgot to close the gate, had I not read the real reason the fence stops so abruptly. I've seen trails that run off further into the pasture, only to end in a water tank or feed bunker. Or some house way out in the boonies. And I have to say that last image is the cutest to date, I had to chuckle when I saw it after reading your story. Fine work.

@mermaid: You made me wonder about missing a step so I went into Wings and looked. Sure enough, I added two materials to the first tennis ball. Though Bryce only saw one.

@Tim Bateman: That's a mighty fine image. Looks like some paintings I've seen.

Google wasn't much help in finding a program which could convert a mesh to a solid. I did find one site which sells a program for this type of conversion but it's out of my price range. They even was $19.99 for a 7 day trial license.

So I gave up the idea of trying to use fuzzy material and when in the direction of the image below. The two materials on the ball came from Glass and Ice in Pro Materials and the ground is a 2D plane with a textured glass material. As usual with me, any and all comments or suggestions gladly welcomed.

Tennis_Ball_8.png
    1080 x 810 - 913K
    edited September 2014

@Dave - Very nicely done, it looks very natural. Miss B mentions the fence. For me, it appears as if there were a crevice from right to left. A security fence makes sense in such a spot (we have a lot of them) but when the dangerous part is over, there's no need for a fence. I'm with Sean Riesch in this.
    And the story with the night render is just great. Love it.

@Tim Bateman - oh, my mistake. HDRI looks great as does the ship, very nice render. Thank you and yes, the terrain is stacked with three different materials, all from the set.

@mermaid010 - thank you.

@Sean Riesch - thank you.

@Jamie - thank you. I like your tennis ball, not natural looking but looking like art.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:

@mermaid: You made me wonder about missing a step so I went into Wings and looked. Sure enough, I added two materials to the first tennis ball. Though Bryce only saw one.

Guss- If you had two materials then Bryce is being naughty again :) no matter, you ended up with a very nice render.

Dave-cute story - and render, a nice way to start my morning. Love it

edited September 2014

Thanks everyone. :cheese:

So today having read about the tennis ball material issue, I thought that could be this morning's challenge.
    First I had to make my tennis ball (thanks for the tutorial David). I think I may have extruded the line a bit too much but I've disguised that as well as possible in Bryce.

Here's my efforts at applying a material that looks fluffy. As always with bump, it's a find line between having enough bump to show but not so much that it causes the sharp delineation between the lit and shadowed areas.

TennisBall.jpg
    650 x 650 - 179K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited December 1969

I wonder if there's a non-painful way to add some fuzz sticking out of the tennis ball along the very edge of the profile? Not saying it's needed, just wondering if it can be done without an object for every single individual thread.

BTW, there's a new person having issues getting their copy of Bryce running beyond the serial number, but I have no clue what's going on there, so I can't help them myself: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/46253/

edited December 1969

I wonder if there's a non-painful way to add some fuzz sticking out of the tennis ball along the very edge of the profile? Not saying it's needed, just wondering if it can be done without an object for every single individual thread.
    Maybe displacement... If I get some time to crash Bryce later, I'll try it. :lol:

BTW, there's a new person having issues getting their copy of Bryce running beyond the serial number, but I have no clue what's going on there, so I can't help them myself: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/46253/

Chohole's seen it and replied thanks.
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited September 2014

Or, with one inner sphere having a tennis mat/bump, and an outer sphere with the fluffy mat applied.

"YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!"...hey he :lol:

Jay

Tennis.jpg
    1000 x 548 - 642K
    Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

Yup, that'd be another way of doing it Jay... Looks good but could maybe do with some of the ambient taking off the fuzz. :-)

After getting Wings out for the first time in ages to make my tennis ball this morning, this afternoon I thought it'd be useful for making a slightly bent and crumpled piece of paper.... It took me ages to figure it out and I'm sure there must be a quicker way than the one I used.

But I did manage to get a result and it's very subtle but that's what I was going for. Then I started up another scene for my present animation project, which I'm running a test render of at the moment. Here's a high quality 'still' (not the right aspect ratio for the animation but as a still, it looks better cropped like this.

The Wings 3D piece of paper has the photo mapped on to it.

GraphPaperScene.jpg
    650 x 650 - 269K
    edited December 1969

@Horo: Thank you.

@mermaid: Thanks. Bryce has always treated a Wings single object, with two or more materials, as one material. Only way it doesn't is when shell extrude has been used, creating two objects in one.

@Dave: Nice tennis ball and the last image is great looking.

@Jay: Nice idea applying material, and tennis ball. Though aren't the ridges suppose to be innies and not outies?;-)

edited December 1969

@Dave - not bad, the tennis ball. The piece of paper does look good.

@Jay - the groove is not a groove.

I have another stacked terrain here, Craggy-Bay.

Craggy-Bay.jpg
    533 x 800 - 116K
    edited December 1969

@Horo: Really nice work.

I went searching for another material which would work to produce a fuzzy like material for the tennis ball. It wasn't until I came upon a plant material that had fuzzy like qualities which I decided might work. With a bit of tweaking in the DTE I came up with a material that doesn't look too bad for a fuzzy material. The first image is before a second tweaking in the DTE, the second image the results of the second DTE tweaking.

Tennis_Ball_11.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    Tennis_Ball_10.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Dave – the tennis ball looks nice. The still render with the paper is also nicely done.

Jay – good try with the tennis ball.

Guss – that means my Bryce is behaving well, all my Wings 3D objects with different materials come thru with the different materials which I can change in Bryce as I like. You got nice results with the tennis ball material.

Horo- another beautiful render

I decided to post this here; my last entry for the Tree challenge; to show the difference in the renders before and after using the EWL from the Lens and Filter pack. http://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-1-pro-lenses-and-filters

thelonelywillow-ewl.jpg
    600 x 600 - 41K
    treebowl.jpg
    600 x 600 - 52K
    edited September 2014

Cheers, Savage, Horo, Guss...and Mermaid...yeah, the groove ain't a groove - must have lost my mojo somewhere, too...heh he ;) All I had needed to correct it was use negative bump, I found.

Jay

edited December 1969

@mermaid: Thanks. Not sure if my copy of Bruce is misbehaving or I actually didn't do something in Wings. I vote for cockpit error. Your two images are really nice.

@Jay: Will be get to see your fixed tennis ball?

edited September 2014

Ah, yes...cheers, Guss...just didn't want to repeat the image.

The final image still needs work for sure. Tried displacement (second image below, with high displacement) also, and while crashes are reported the norm in doing so (personally, I've never experienced them using this option), I've found that for spherical objects the bump doesn't work radially outwards from the sphere's centre, but rather creates several repeating, exagerrated bumps. There's probably a way around this, but haven't researched it really.

Jay

TennisBallDisplacement.jpg
    677 x 608 - 257K
    TennisBall2.jpg
    677 x 608 - 507K
  • StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

@TheSavage64.

After getting Wings out for the first time in ages to make my tennis ball this morning, this afternoon I thought it’d be useful for making a slightly bent and crumpled piece of paper…. It took me ages to figure it out and I’m sure there must be a quicker way than the one I used.

I did this one by loading the image in to the terrain editor, on to an almost flat terrain.
    Then map the same image on to it in the materials lab. Then lower the terrain a bit more to thin it out.
    The more bent/creased the original photo is the better.

Mend.jpg
    700 x 700 - 113K
  • Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
    edited September 2014

@StuartB4

Very well and nice done. Can you make a couple of bucks for me ?

Post edited by Roland4 on
  • Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

My newest creation on coasts.

Seashore4.jpg
    750 x 500 - 250K
    edited December 1969

StuartB4 said:
    @TheSavage64.
    After getting Wings out for the first time in ages to make my tennis ball this morning, this afternoon I thought it’d be useful for making a slightly bent and crumpled piece of paper…. It took me ages to figure it out and I’m sure there must be a quicker way than the one I used.

I did this one by loading the image in to the terrain editor, on to an almost flat terrain.
    Then map the same image on to it in the materials lab. Then lower the terrain a bit more to thin it out.
    The more bent/creased the original photo is the better.

Good result.
    Not a method I could use for this though... It's for an animation I'm working on and It's usually best to avoid render hungry things like terrains. :-)

edited December 1969

@Jay: While trying to come up with a good looking fuzzy-ish material, I tried displacement. And Bryce crashed every time it was set, so I gave up trying to use that setting. Second image really looks strange, like the ball has been wedged in the fence too long.

@Dave: Real good looking money image. That bench top looks like it gained a few pounds.

@Roland: Water in that image looks nice.

edited December 1969

@Jay: While trying to come up with a good looking fuzzy-ish material, I tried displacement. And Bryce crashed every time it was set, so I gave up trying to use that setting.

I have a note written down here that you should try changing the render priority to 1 to avoid crashing when using displacement. It'll be slow, but it should theoretically avoid the crash.

edited December 1969

@Sean: Thanks for the information.

This discussion has been closed.