Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 7

Comments

• Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 500
    edited December 1969

One of those images I was never quite satisfied with but the more I messed with it the worse it became! Anyway it's titled "The Wine Cathedral" - no historical accuracy at all LOL.

Wine Cathedral by Pedro Caparros from ShareCG.

Sailboat by Goran Abramovic also from ShareCG.

Michael 4 from DAZ3D, and clothes by DZFire/DAZ3D.

Pier, cart and barrels created in Modo with image textures from cgtextures.com

2 giant Volumetric spheres make up the clouds.

Rendered with TA at 16 RPP,about 7 hours.

Have really enjoyed everyones images.

Thanks for looking!

wine_cathedral.jpg
    1500 x 741 - 644K
  • dana365dana365 Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

Well the animation is complete, and while there are numerous things I would like to improve on, I am fairly happy with the outcome. At two weeks render time, improvements are serious choices, so I am not sure how much more I am going to work it, or at least at the moment , I might revisit this one after some time.

Crescent Falls
    Bryce 7 Pro
    CG Animation
    1min 56 secs

http://youtu.be/ZdSlQpUdO8k

Crescent_Falls.jpg
    1024 x 762 - 821K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@David: That is a neat affect, and another nice video.

@dan: That's a really nice scene. Someone did a nice job on those models. You did a nice job on the composition.

@dana: What a great animation. Loved the way you had the sound rise and fall depending on the distance from the falls.

I was working on the stacked terrain PDF Horo produced, and at the point of choosing a sky then rendered it to see if I wanted that particular sky. The sky turned out to be wrong for the idea I had, but the results I found rather interesting anyway. All three terrains still had their R/G/B colors applied.

Modor_3.png
    1080 x 810 - 493K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,548
    edited December 1969

@Dan - this looks great. I don't know why you ain't satisfied with it. Though I do know that feeling ...

@Dana - what a great animation. I watched it twice. Sound fits nicely.

@GussNemo - Yes, with all that orange haze it looks great - a simple grey terrain suffices to get that effect. Maybe the wrong idea for the project, but it does look very nice.

edited June 2014

Horo:
    GussNemo:
    Thank you, I wasn't sure if I was going to be happy with the variation in sound because the control's in the video editor are not that good, it dose not give any numerical control so you have to estimate the sound position visually and its a guess at best. but I like how it worked out.

GussNemo:
    "Modor_3" has a fantastic amount of depth, great color as well.

dan whiteside:
    “The Wine Cathedral” is a cool scene, interesting positioning and use of the clouds.

Post edited by dana365 on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,398
    edited December 1969

Hansmar – I visited Deviantart.com. Wow your paintings are awesome, I love the colors you use. Did you try digital painting like Corel Painter? Your photos are beautiful also.

StuartB4: nice renders both of them.

Guss - thanks

Dan- the render is beautiful

Dana – the animation is awesome, wow 2 week, I wish I had your patience.

David- the new tutorial on Anisotropic blur is so cool.

Horo: thanks for the terrain stacking video and the transcript. Here’s my take on this tutorial.

stackingterrains.jpg
    900 x 675 - 94K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited June 2014

Nice one, Dan...clean-lines-look to it (love the bridge one, too).

Guss, Mordor looks fabulous...J.R.R. would be jealous ;)

Dana365...ani., looks and works great - any animator would be proud to have produced such a work. The waterfall splashes (or inferred, really as you don't actually see splahes), I think, are the main convincer for me, and the sound adds to the reality.

Two weeks rendering...phew..hope you had refrigeration nearby, or that you're not glowing with all that radiation ;)

Mermaid...looks great...can smell the heather from here ;)

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

Thanks Jay

Guss - sorry I thought I commented on your terrain render. Love the haze effect

edited December 1969

@Horo: Thank you. Since I'm still working on that scene, trying a simple gray might be interesting. It's really interesting how one thing changes the overall look.

@dana: Thank you for your comments

@mermaid: Thanks. And you've created a very nice scene. Love the perspective of the two background mountains.

@Jay: Thank you. Yeah, just need an huge eye and a few dragons. And the scene is still incomplete, just one of the steps on Horo's stacked terrain PDF.

edited December 1969

Attenborough, as usual, has piqued attention on nature’s struggles...etc., – the penguin, in this case.

‘Colony’

Jay

Colony.jpg
    1725 x 866 - 925K
    edited June 2014

mermaid010:
    Thank you! I think that everyone who embraces Bryce must be very patient, it is demanding. The thing you don't see is me freaking out when I see a bad element in my scene during rendering, that just will not pass. I (think) start to finish the project took 4 months,

Jamahoney:
    Ya! I was hoping you liked it, putting the sound on was not as bad as I was expecting, I had all these layers planed, wind in trees, river sounds, but the shear white noise value from the falls just dominated so much I thought it would stand alone. When I revisit this project, I would like to get the white water froth, white water rapids and splashing correct; it really dose feel like cheating when the details are washed out with white, so much so, I know I will be coming back to this and attempting to get it where it needs to be.

I probably didn't get too much radiation because at that point, during render, I was outside running around in circles in my back yard until one of three things happened:
    1 felt better
    2 fell down
    3 made some one in the neighborhood laugh

it worked, but all three actually had to happen.

Love all the elements in the "Colony" the balance of light with that much snow really shows your mastery in lighting

David Attenborough sounds like someone that has inspired the world to understand nature. I like his wiki write up where it says how he received awards in all media types, from Black and white, right thru to HD pretty mind blowing.

Post edited by dana365 on
    edited December 1969

To All My Fellow Canadian Brycers

HAPPY CANADA DAY !!!

edited July 2014

@mermaid010 - that came out very nice.

@Jay - looking quite convincing.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

Cheers, Dana365...oh, and Happy Canada Day (have to admit never hearing of that day before). Know what you mean concerning too many elements in an animation where you end up not seeing the wood for the trees (oooh...suitable pun for your nature scene :) ).

Thanks, Horo...the lens flare was an afterthought, but it still looked okay even without it (I should have stuck to my philosophy - avoid unecessary postwork).

Jay

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

Thanks GussNemo and Mermaid010.

Just wondered, where is bullit35744 (Trish) these days. Not seen her here for a while.
    Or has she changed her user name.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

StuartB4 said:
    Thanks GussNemo and Mermaid010.

Just wondered, where is bullit35744 (Trish) these days. Not seen her here for a while.
    Or has she changed her user name.

She seems to have deserted us, and is more often found int the Art Studio Forum http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/28462/

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited July 2014

Great image Dan, even if you were never quite satisfied with it. One thing that if anything using rendering for artworks is that once everything is set up, you can change the light with relative ease. Which is usually what I do if I find myself not getting anywhere. Not a trick you can easily perform if you are doing an oil painting! Image getting towards the end of a painting and then deciding you want the light coming from the other side?

Dana, very impressive indeed, the animation really shows off the details of the various lattice layers you have used to create the gorge. The light is excellent. From a technical perspective I was most impressed with those bits of billowing spray you have dotted around on the falls. A very difficult topic you have chosen for this. Three weeks though... it's a long wait. I'd be worried about power cuts!

Jamie and Mermaid, getting stuck into the tutorials, that's what I like to see. Well done.

Jay, convincing results on the penguin colony, materials and lighting all working together to give top notch results.

Speaking of materials and lighting, here I'm exploring (once again) using some high value specular halo specularity to change the interaction between the terrain and the light. It's a fiddly process. I've seen how it is used in video games (though often over done) so I thought I would give it a go and see if it made much difference to the perceived realism.

Edit. Meant to say, though you probably guessed, featuring one of Horo's high resolution terrains and light probes. Also. I skewed the terrain slightly to make the cliffs seem like they are slightly overhanging.

Edit edit. Added another image, closer to the terrain and with a more exaggerated specular component to the light/material.

P59_example_scene_wip2.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 663K
    P59_example_scene_wip1.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 671K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited December 1969

@ david,...speaking of tutorials! i thought you might appreciate having a look at this...its my attempt at your "shoreline" tutorial :) ...i still want to do a lot more to the scene, but im very happy with my results so far :) ...also! its just a standard render, no premium effects added yet.

Shoreline_1.jpg
    1194 x 563 - 357K
    edited December 1969

@StuartB4 - Trish is still around, though obviously occupied otherwise. See page 17 of the Streams render challenge thread.

@David - I see, you've picked it up.

@timothybateman - oh sure, this is very nice. The waves look great.

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited December 1969

@ horo ...thanks, its still a work in progress though :) ...I will post a picture of the finished scene when im finished tinkering! :)

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

@StuartB4 - Trish is still around, though obviously occupied otherwise. See page 17 of the Streams render challenge thread.

Thanks Horo. I looked through there and must have missed it. :)

edited December 1969

David:
    Thank you ! and thank you for the kind words on you tube.
    This project had a bunch of firsts for me, complicated terrain, cloud animation, which I left but I am totally going to change, the clouds
    movement was completely unexpected in the animation; my first volume animation (water spray) I was surprised that two spheres with
    volumes touching would create voids, for a lack of better words, so positioning became very important.
    I will be revisiting the build as my skills get better, I would like to get the white water, fall froth and splashing where it needs to be.

Calgary has a very stable power grid, its been years since we have had a power outage, but I keep the individual renders to 3 secs. to
    avoid any significant losses, not from power, but Bryce, and/or Lightnings choking point, which I am still unclear about.

lightning for example;
    When the animation was 10 secs long and I used lightning to render 5 secs worth across the network it came out fine. as soon as I
    extended the animation total length to 1 minute, but did not add any objects and then went to render the same 5 secs it wouldn't handle
    it. so I am guessing it has to put the whole works in its "memory" even though I am only asking it to render the same 5 secs.

Bryce rendering
    I know has a choke point, maybe that is the 2GB, (Laa 3.2 GB) I have heard about, but I am not sure how to figure out the amount of
    GB's for a particular animation length, given the known variables like the number of polygons in the build. which again confuses me, so
    i just keep it short and avoid any of those corruptions, but it would be nice to be able to calculate and max out my render lengths with
    confidence with Bryce and/or Lightning.

Sorry about going on and on!, I am reminded most of this when I click the button for "fast reply" which it is anything but!

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

@ david,...speaking of tutorials! i thought you might appreciate having a look at this...its my attempt at your "shoreline" tutorial :) ...i still want to do a lot more to the scene, but im very happy with my results so far :) ...also! its just a standard render, no premium effects added yet.

Very nice wet sand!

edited December 1969

Thanks Guss and Horo

Jay – the “Colony” is cool

David –thanks I enjoy your tutorials. Love the new renders.

Timothybateman – wow very nice, the waves look great.

Loved doing this tutorial Bryce 7.1 Pro Experiments - Anisotropic blurred star effect - by David Brinnen

I used a Wings 3D object Rpp 256 1st image 7 hours and the 2nd 2 and half hours. The third combined both in Photoshop and used the Lighten blending mode.

anisotropicblur-combined.jpg
    600 x 600 - 123K
    anisotropicblur1.jpg
    600 x 600 - 57K
    anisotropicblur2.jpg
    600 x 600 - 68K
    edited July 2014

@Jay: Colony is a very nice scene. Though I can't understand why I started thinking of bowling balls while looking at the scene.

@David: Thanks. I sure did get sucked into that tutorial, as you can see by the images below. Looking back at previous landscapes, I think these are some of the best I've done to date. And it's been enjoyable. Your latest images are stunning. Any thought to a video using the specular halo?

@timothybateman: Nice results following that tutorial.

@mermaid: Wonderful abstracts. Nice colors.

In my previous post, where I posted an image of stacked terrains, Horo suggested using a plain gray material. I gave that suggestion a try but was not satisfied with the results. So, I started using other materials and came up with the first two. Only difference between these two and the original is that I moved the sun down slightly to remove some of the real strong shadows. In the last three I changed the sky. I also added a water slab in the first two of the last three. The last image is just another location on the stacked terrain. None of these took over 20 minutes to render.

Modor_10.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    Modor_9.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    Modor_8.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    Modor_4_4.png
    1080 x 810 - 1M
    Modor_4_2.png
    1080 x 810 - 1M
    Post edited by GussNemo on
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited July 2014

Hey All.....Just sorting through stuff on my Hard Drive...I am loving the new materials by Horo and David ...Beautiful Artwork....by everyone...Playing with my new guy...... http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/28462/P1050/#636003 ......Trish

Drag_1ab.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 788K
    Post edited by Trish on
    edited July 2014

Mermaid...the “Colony” is cool
    No, it's very cold..hehe ;)

Guss..."bowling balls'

Cheeky! Love the first one best, Guss...I keep looking for Sauron's evil eye ;)

Nice drag', Trish...any relationship to Tootless ;)

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

Jay: perhaps a distant cousin

edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - great abstracts. I've watched David's video twice but couldn't make it work. Obviously, I'm missing something.

@GussNemo - your terrain renders look very nice.

@Trish - always great to see you here. That dragon looks great.

edited December 1969

@Jay: Thanks. Yeah, it does seem an eye should be around there, somewhere. And a couple of Hobbits.

@Trish: That's a great looking dragon.

@Horo: Thank you.

Created another stacked terrain using a Cauliflower Hills fractal. The three images below are three of the five, so far created, which I thought looked interesting. As usual, all comments are welcomed. Especially about lighting, which might make these three images look better.

Cauliflower_Hills_5.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    Cauliflower_Hills_3.png
    1080 x 810 - 1M
    Cauliflower_Hills_1.png
    1080 x 810 - 1M
This discussion has been closed.