World Travels strangeness

IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,579
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

So I purchased the World Travels horse carriage to try to get an idea out of my head.
But when I render it, strange things happen.

The doors have developed a white film.
The side panels are bright and the undercarriage is hideous metallic.

Please not I have not changed anything or mucked about with the surfaces at all.
I have also tried a fresh install of World Travels, but nothing changed.

Any ideas what happened here?
Is there any way to fix this mess?

Thanks for any and all advice.

problemworldtravels.jpg
1280 x 1600 - 716K

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

There's a reflection channel on those areas, which may be having a different effect in DAZ Studio than it does in Poser. As a test, go to the Surfaces tab, select all surfaces, and set Reflection strength to 0, and see if that looks better.

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    edited December 1969

Given that leaf springs and axles are made of metal in reality, it would stand to reason that the 3D model would have a metallic look to the leaf springs and axles on the undercarriage here too, so I don't see the problem there. .

• IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,579
    edited December 1969

There's a reflection channel on those areas, which may be having a different effect in DAZ Studio than it does in Poser. As a test, go to the Surfaces tab, select all surfaces, and set Reflection strength to 0, and see if that looks better.

You hit the nail on the head with that one. It had applied a reflection rate of 100 to the side panels and I assume the door as well. Probably the metal too, I didn't check that yet.

Thanks soo much for that, it really saved me another hour of playing "Where is the problem?" :)

Agreed the metal carriage isn't a big problem, just very different from the promo pic. Again it seems to be a reflection translation problem as it's an older product and I'm using DAZ Studio Pro (which I forgot to mention in the first post). I bet dialing it all down to a more muted setting and it will look wonderful.

Anyways problem solved, thanks again for your help.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,216
    edited December 1969

If the item is in an environment you could also remove the map from reflection colour, and probably lower the reflection strength, to get real reflections that match the lighting in the scene.

• IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,579
    edited December 1969

Thanks for that Richard.
    The piece I'm working on is definitely environment heavy.
    I'll give your suggestion a try for sure.