Rendering: Cannot save "mov" files, but can save other files

Hi,

I am new to Daz and want to render a movie.

However, when I render the movie and it wants to write to a file I receive the message:
Error save the file:
test.mov
The render could not be saved.
Try a again or choose a new file name.

However, I can save still images in almost every folder.

I have checked the privileges of those folders and these should be fine.
There is no anti-virus since I turned this off.

I am running MAC OS Catalina 10.15.2 with Daz 4.12

I have looked into this a couple of hours but cannot find the issue.

I have rebooted, plugged in USB drives to store the files to, restarted the app, but I cannot save a .mov file.

Can someone help me?

Thanks!!

Comments

• This is just a wild guess, but maybe it's the way you're saving it or the codec your using for compression. The old QuickTime is 32 bit and won't run on Catalina.

• I have tried different ways of rendering, including iray, but the problem persists.

• JD_MortalJD_Mortal Posts: 758
    edited February 2020

Honestly, you don't get a lot of options when you render directly to a video format.

I would suggest that you render to individual images and use almost any video editor to "make" the video from the sequenced images. Then, you can set your own quality, compression, do editing, and recover from "crashes" faster. (If Daz crashes while rendering a video, the whole thing is deleted when it restarts. Daz has no recovery options when it crashes. If you crash while rendering individual images, they all exist, except the ones from the point where it crashed, moving forward. You just have to re-render from that point forward, to finish the project.)

There are good free video-editors that can create videos in almost any format, but there are honestly only three that you would want. AVI-uncompressed, MP4, or Webm. Windows has one built-in, in your photo-viewer program. You can also use the classic windows "movie maker", but "Handbrake" is a better "free" alternative.

https://handbrake.fr/

Post edited by JD_Mortal on
  • I'm experiencing this same issue since installing fresh Catalina with the latest beta with few other apps installed. I verified I had proper ownership of all directories to save in (noting the issue with the CMS folder that prevents DAZ starting postgres due to ownership settings on the folder.). The images get saved just fine regardless of rendering engine in the temp rendering folder. So I then use Photoshop to create my movie sequence. However this needs to be addressed as rending output to .mov was working just fine in 4.11 and 4.12 64bit on my previous machine. I do not beleive it to be a system issue but something with the beta release. I have not tried the 4.12 regular release because of the issues with opening files from remote disks on Catalina. +

• MediacMediac Posts: 18

Hi,

Has anyone from DAZ actually addressed this issue yet??

Its been three years and I still can not render a movie file.

HELP!!

Thanks in advance

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,340
    edited July 2023

Mediac said:

Hi,

Has anyone from DAZ actually addressed this issue yet??

Its been three years and I still can not render a movie file.

HELP!!

Thanks in advance

As mentioned, it's been years since this has worked on Mac OS in DAZ Studio, since the shift to 64-bit, I believe. I think it still works in 32-bit DAZ Studio.

As suggested above, render out your movie as a series of images; you can then simply open QuickTime Player and import image sequence.

Since you also can no longer import audio into DAZ Studio and hear it, you're not losing too much, and the new options provided by the series of images can be a plus (e.g. you can batch-apply filters or PhotoShop Actions on the rendered stills).

I'm sure export -> movie and the import -> audio will both be fixed in DAZ Studio 5.

wink

-- Walt Sterdan

QuickTime Import Menu.png
    1440 x 872 - 983K
    Post edited by wsterdan on