Creating a LIE tattoo in Substance Painter for Daz Studio

Hi, 

I'm trying to make a LIE tattoo to go on the back of a G8M. I've made one for for a specific material but I'd really like to be able to use it with any of my materials. I can't get SP to export the tattoo on a transparent background. Someone said they were able to do it but I can't follow his method to get it working. I'm using Stencil method to get the tattoo on the back. 

This is what the guy says. I've been patiently waiting for a reply to my follow up question but no luck. 

In Substance, go to your "Texture Set Settings" panel. Click the + to add a new "Opacity" channel. Then go into EACH texture set, create a new blank fill layer. Turn off all Material channels for that Fill Layer except the Opacity (op).

Then, in the "Export Textures" panel, make sure your Config preset contains the "A" channel for each output map. Drag the Opacity input map onto the "A" and choose "A Channel".

Then export as a PNG or PSD or something that uses transparency.

This worked for me. I hope it helps someone.

Thank you. 

Comments

• I don't have SP however in another program that normally wants to include a solid background, one would fool it by providing the proper name for the background file but having in reality, a transparent blank image. Does that help?

• AbnerKAbnerK Posts: 718

I don't have SP however in another program that normally wants to include a solid background, one would fool it by providing the proper name for the background file but having in reality, a transparent blank image. Does that help?

Thanks for the imput, it might help someone with more knowledge of SP but, it doesn't really help me. :) The other guy seems to be just leaving the opacity fill as a default layer. In photoshop which is not so far removed from SP (both Adobe) it doesn't matter what you call your layers as long as they're the right kind. I can get a transparent background like putting a black Alpha channel in photoshop but that only leaves a totally transparent file. The problem is you can't stamp out the image onto the Alpha channel/opacity layer. You can paint white on the right bits but my tatt is very detaild. I would go mad before finishing. :)

• AbnerK said:

Hi, 

I'm trying to make a LIE tattoo to go on the back of a G8M. I've made one for for a specific material but I'd really like to be able to use it with any of my materials. I can't get SP to export the tattoo on a transparent background. Someone said they were able to do it but I can't follow his method to get it working. I'm using Stencil method to get the tattoo on the back. 

This is what the guy says. I've been patiently waiting for a reply to my follow up question but no luck.

We're you able to find out the answer to this? I was wondering the same.

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,070

You want to apply in your shader settings the PBR Metal with Alpha Blend for opacity to take effect. Here is a video that goes over that:

I just created an alph mask in PS in the end. I have tried everything with no luck. I've lost some of the greys but I'll just have to remember not to use that tone of grey next time. Thanks, I'll check it out. TBH, I gave up. :) 

Oh, I watched that video. It's about using the transparancy within SP. I don't have a problem using alpha within Substance Painter itself. I just can't export it. I just add it to the skin then use it like that. Occasionally it's easy enough to separate in PS but impossible when theyre's shading. I found a bad workaround but, I'd still like to be able to export the tattoo from Substance Painter the way it went in. 

• luqueskyluquesky Posts: 3

AbnerK said:

Oh, I watched that video. It's about using the transparancy within SP. I don't have a problem using alpha within Substance Painter itself. I just can't export it. I just add it to the skin then use it like that. Occasionally it's easy enough to separate in PS but impossible when theyre's shading. I found a bad workaround but, I'd still like to be able to export the tattoo from Substance Painter the way it went in.

Hey, sorry to bug but I was wondering if you ever got a solution from Sustance to export a tattoo in a transparent texture?

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,375
    edited July 2023

I dont see how it's such an impossible problem to make an opacity map in Substance Painter istelf instead of going the route of export opacity as alpha channel in PNG and then making your opacity map in Photoshop.

In substance painter, just make the background fill layer black, and the tattoo color white. problem solved?

And then export that as an opacity map for Daz Studio.

Post edited by lilweep on
  • ShelLuserShelLuser Posts: 749

First, the thread is 3 years old so things may have been different back then.

But second... transparency shouldn't be any issue with the current version of SP, however.. this does heavily depend on the projects render engine / shader preset being used. 

Should be easy to check: look into the texture set settings and verify what channels it uses and/or what mesh maps are available.

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,544

Why not just use Krita, it's free and exports png no problem, also can export layers if that's needed, it's similar to Photoshop and even uses their brushes and such.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,176

Well, I only use Pt version now but also wondered why there should be any issue for exporting transparent map... just check this fundamental one : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t15Gql9CXL4

If you use old SP version, there're too many tutorials on youtube for this topic...