Speeding up dforce simulations

I hope I am missing something here, because this is just super slow. I had to do animated simulation of a dress, because the pose I was doing, the leg ripped through the side of the dress. I made only the girl and the dress as visible in the scene, hid everything else. I turned the dress and the girl down to base resolution. I halved the iterations per subframe from 32 to 16. It took over an hour to simulate it from frame 20-150. There has to be something I can do to speed these simulations up. I have a 2080 super selected as the opencl device for the record.

Comments

• That's very strange. I sim one person and one garment all the time. It generally takes 5 to 10 minutes at most.

Do you make sure the hair isn't visible in the render? Hair really increases sim length IME. Are you using an old Nvidia driver? 

If neither of those is an issue I'll fall back on basic testing techniques. Create two primitives, one plane, make it larger than the cube with lots of subdivisions (I used 250), and one cube. position the plane above the cube. Make the plane a dFroce dynamic surface and teh cube a dForce static surface. Sim them with no animation. For me it took 20 seconds.

• Did you get lots of spring length warnings at the start of the simulation?

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677

Yeah, it's just a figure and a dress, everything else hidden. I *think* I am using 436.30, that's what afterburner says, my nvidia CP crashed I guess, I don't want to mess with anything about GPU till my current render is done lol. It starts out seeming pretty fast, does the springs, and then the initialisation drape within a minute, it then starts to go really slow once it starts simulating the animation.

• Spring issues cause a serious slow down of a render. If it is just that specific garment that is taking a long time then you might try finding something similar.

OK, now that I had to quit that render to fix something else, nvidia CP also said the same driver. The two dresses I tried today was artdeco and magical charm. They looked right for the render I had in mind, thought I would save some time over making my own outfits lol. I will try with the primitives if I can ever get this render to come out good lol.

edited February 2020

OK, I draped a plane with 500 division, over a sphere, did 150 frames in less than 6 minutes. I guess those dresses aren't optimized for dforce well or something. first I did a 36 by 36 phere, then tried 100 by 100 division one for gigles. I thought a 2080 super should be wrecking these types of things lol...

draped.png
    1854 x 3000 - 2M
    drapedHIres.png
    1854 x 3000 - 4M
    Post edited by TheKD on
  • TheKD said:

OK, I draped a plane with 500 division, over a sphere, did 150 frames in less than 6 minutes. I guess those dresses aren't optimized for dforce well or something. first I did a 36 by 36 phere, then tried 100 by 100 division one for gigles. I thought a 2080 super should be wrecking these types of things lol...

Those are pretty good times for animation timeline renders. I got 20 seconds in just the "start bones from memorized pose" setting and everything else at default.

I use a 1080ti which should be slightly slower than the 2080 Super from the benchmarks I've seen.

• Steel RatSteel Rat Posts: 394

I don't think GPU really matters much for simulations.

I have three machines I render with. Two have the same GPU chipset (Nvidia RTX 2070 8gb VRam) and 32gb RAM, my older one is an AMD 8Core 3.3 ghz

My laptop is the faster one, Intel Core i7 12 cores 2.6 ghz. So slightly slower CPU, but more cores. It will simulate the exact same scene in about half the time.