Saving a scene takes really long

LoonyLoony Posts: 1,817

Hi, I have since 2 days the problem that nearby every scene takes very long... I think its maybe since I did reset my hotkeys?

right now I have a room light this:

https://www.daz3d.com/christmas-dinner

but I removed already a lot props, because there are just 2 people so we dont need it decorated for 6 ;) and yeah 2 people siitting there normal full dressed.

he saving time for the scene is around 3-5Minutes.

In the past I had a saving time for 20sec.

I use a HDD for daz, will a SSD improve loading/saving ?

And is there maybe any hidden stuff that changed?

It also happens to other scenes/rooms.

Post edited by Loony on

Comments

• TooncesToonces Posts: 919

When Daz saves a scene, it creates a .duf file. You can navigate to it and look at the size of the file in comparison to your other scenes. I've found that large sizes (e.g., over 100 MB) tend to take longer to save.

Generally it's because I imported some strange object with too much geometry/subdivision, I have a huge environment with many figures, or (most often) I have an animation.

If I think it's unreasonable, I delete objects from the scene to test until I find what caused the size to be huge (and hence the save slow)...or I go about the process in reverse, start adding the stuff to the base scene until I find what causes it to exlpode in size.

• JD_MortalJD_Mortal Posts: 758
    edited January 2020

The majority of "time", is spent processing all the things in the scene, to figure-out how to save them. (Building the large text-file.)

It only takes a second to save the actual file, once it is completed. Even at 50MB/sec, it would not take any longer than 2 seconds to save the file. (You can confirm that with your HD activity.)

Going to an SSD, even if you had 200MB write-speed, it would still only reduce your save-time by a second, or 1.5 seconds, out of the "minutes", it takes to process the scene in memory. Text-parsers are slow. They don't seem to use chunk-buffers, so each time it adds some data, it has to copy the whole file and add each new piece of text to the end, in memory. (Using a buffer simply reallocates enough for the buffer, or none, if the buffer is a fixed-length. Then it adds the whole data-chunk, in one shot, which is less times than adding individual bytes as it builds the file.)

EG, you are fine... That is just the way Daz works, with what it has.

Post edited by JD_Mortal on
  • In my older PC for a 2 seconds video about mouth movement (nothing more) 5 days to render.

Same video in my new laptop less than 5 minutes

• If the HDD is showing lots of time to operate, could it be very close to being full, or maybe the amount of fragmentation has reached a level that's severe? Just a thought.

Regards,

Richard

• LoonyLoony Posts: 1,817
    edited January 2020
    Toonces said:

When Daz saves a scene, it creates a .duf file. You can navigate to it and look at the size of the file in comparison to your other scenes. I've found that large sizes (e.g., over 100 MB) tend to take longer to save.

Generally it's because I imported some strange object with too much geometry/subdivision, I have a huge environment with many figures, or (most often) I have an animation.

If I think it's unreasonable, I delete objects from the scene to test until I find what caused the size to be huge (and hence the save slow)...or I go about the process in reverse, start adding the stuff to the base scene until I find what causes it to exlpode in size.

Oh..... boy....

It seems like, the room I now use for my setup is... REALLY hungry O_O in my last scene with a Jungle it was just 23Mb... the 134MB was just a testshot, but holy Molly...

now the full Room is crazy!

I assume the Textures from the objects are simply too crazy high...

https://www.daz3d.com/christmas-dining-room

That is the used room and I did already deleted some props, because I sit there only with 3 people (did delete also 1 person... so in the end 2 people).

What could be the big file eater be here?

I also did widen the room with a extra Living room, because I rotaed the camera away... but it seems like that is just 20MB, even with 2 sofas, a TV, a container, a door, a window, 3 walls, a carpet... all that stuff :D 2,7GB for that room saves... Loading the scene is also crazy always...

The shop say

"Textures Include:

• 101 Texture, Bump, Normal, Specular, and Transparency Maps (2048 x 2048 to 4096 x 4096)
    • Texture Templates available through the Product Library"
    • I assume I using the 4.000x4000 textures on EVERY object from the dinner room :o
    Post edited by Loony on

I think i found a big Troublemake, the "Clothes Fit" mod, which adds a lot morphs to the clothes I guess 30+ and I added that to 3-5 cloth pieces.

The Problem was the Fit Control modifiers on the G8Female, after Deleting/removing them all (nothing changed on the body after it, so seems like I didnt even needed them), the File size did changed from 700MB to 33MB.

Is this maybe a Bug which should get reported ?

I also encountered the problem one time, after adding another Morph on the already crazy broken setup to the G8M, everything did go into slowmotion, so it seems like it got too much...

Maybe the Fit Controllers are not made for multi use and only for 1-2 items in one scene?

https://www.daz3d.com/fit-control-add-on-for-genesis-3--8-female

↑talking about this product + the basic version of it. (I can't say if it is the addon or the main product... who makes the problem, because they are both used if you use them)

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677

Fit control adds a ton of morphs. Once you are done using what you need to use from it, the delete unused morphs should bring the file size down to a more reasonable size.

• OH MY GOD , THANKS 1000 times for this post : i just realized that this damn FIT CONTROL were taking huge amount of place in my hard drive : i save at least 100 megas / a scene while deleting all the unused fit controls .

It will be a pain in the ass to delete it in each scenes and then saving again with a decent file size 

but thanks again ...

Fit Control should havethis clearly precised in their manual !