Exosuits - 'Wearable' Submarines

XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421
edited March 2014 in Product Suggestions

Think that I've mentioned this before, but the following link gives some great picture references. My thinking is that something based on the following exosuit design would be an excellent addition for the Daz catalogue.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2014/02/the-exosuit-a-wearable-submarine-for-visiting-deep-water/

And if the thrusters are enclosed units, I'd expect that it could be equally as good for outer space or undersea renders. Any environment which would be hostile and water pressure or vacuum-sealing could be an issue, basically. Could even use it for renders of going inside things like failing nuclear power plants, as they very recently had to in Japan.

Also, for recreating 'Inner Space' and 'Fantastic Voyage'-style representations of being shrunk down to float around inside a human body. :)

Post edited by Xenomorphine on

Comments

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,200
    edited December 1969

That does look interesting, probably some modeller will pick up on it. I can see using it in a short animation.

I regularly browse the various sites offering Poser format elements and don't recall seeing anything close, other than small "mini-subs". But my interest in Steampunk led me to this:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/deep-sea-diver/91883/

• XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421
    edited December 1969

Yeah, Genesis 1/2 could probably do with a deep-sea diver suit for Jules Verne adventures, too. :)

Would love something like the exosuit for modern-day/futuristic sea-based and outer space artistic renders, though.

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,563
    edited March 2014

This is just info, not a comment on how the model should be done:

The reason for the odd way joints are constructed is that they have to be "constant volume". If the elbows were to change size when the diver bent his arm, he would have to fight the enormous pressure at dive depth. The 14 psi differential between space and the inside of the suit doesn't require this.

Post edited by pwiecek on