Is it possible to copy a vehicle part and use elswhere?

Hello,

I am hoping this is possible and some kind person here can help out? :)

Im trying to be copy a tire from a car and be able to place it in a scene other than on the car. Think garage with a few tires and rims laying around.

I kind of know how to use the geometry editor. Enought to highlight a whole part and change its surface. Just can't figure out how to copy the item and be able to place it in/around the scene. It would be nice to ba able to save it as well for further use.

Thanks in Advance!

A

Post edited by anthony.luigi_05ebfcd7e7 on

Comments

• You can do this with surface selector, in theory, but I've never had much luck. You'd probably do better exporting the object to a 3d modeling app and cutting the wheel off in that. Hexagon can import DS files natively so that might work but that will also have a steep learning curve.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,366

There are several free tires and wheels availble, Turbosquid ahve a few so does Renderosity's free stuff probably Sharecg as well.

• scorpio said:

There are several free tires and wheels availble, Turbosquid ahve a few so does Renderosity's free stuff probably Sharecg as well.

Thanks, I want them to match the vehicle ion the scene!

• You can do this with surface selector, in theory, but I've never had much luck. You'd probably do better exporting the object to a 3d modeling app and cutting the wheel off in that. Hexagon can import DS files natively so that might work but that will also have a steep learning curve.

Thanks, did not have luck with the surface selector.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,366
    scorpio said:

Ahh OK sorry didn't realise that. I find that most vehicle models do have the wheells and tires as separate geometry or at least separate surface zones so it shouldn't be too difficult.

Which vehicle is it if I have I'll take a look.

• Using the Geometry Selection>Select By sub-menus in the Geometry Editor right-click menu should let you select the tyre, then right-click Geometry Editing will let you delete the unselected polygons I think (if not right-click>Geometry Selection>Invert Selection). Export as OBJ, reimport (using the same preset to preserve scaling) and apply the materials of the original tyre.

• Using the Geometry Selection>Select By sub-menus in the Geometry Editor right-click menu should let you select the tyre, then right-click Geometry Editing will let you delete the unselected polygons I think (if not right-click>Geometry Selection>Invert Selection). Export as OBJ, reimport (using the same preset to preserve scaling) and apply the materials of the original tyre.

Thank Richard, I will give this a try.

• scorpio said:
    scorpio said:

Ahh OK sorry didn't realise that. I find that most vehicle models do have the wheells and tires as separate geometry or at least separate surface zones so it shouldn't be too difficult.

Which vehicle is it if I have I'll take a look.

Hey, no problem at all. Appreciate your help. Right now Im interested in Big Bill truck but need to figure this out for other planned renders as well.

• I would use the Geometry Editor to select everything BUT the desired part... and delete it. It's almost always that simple, but once in a while it gets a tiny bit more complex.

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,575

This is probably not the best way, but it has worked for me for quite a while

Find a stand alone UV mapper. I used to use UVmapper both free and pro but now I use Ultimate Unwrap 3D

Export the vehicle as an obj

open the vehicle in the UV Mapper

Select everything but the tire/wheel. Selecting the tire/wheel and inverting the selection is probably the best way.

Delete the other parts

Save as a new obj

import.

Often you will end up with all 4 tires and will haave to find another way to delete them

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited February 2021

Select the part you want to keep then use Invert Selection (I think is the name).

Silly me, I had Studio opened so I popped one of miy own models in to do some testing.  It is Invert Selection and there also a handy Select Connected (which has nothing to do with the internal Connect installer).

Post edited by jestmart on