Did Daz Studio 4.12 Fix FBX Import?

xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,868

Daz Studio has had a broken FBX importer for a long time; (it imports all meshes to world center without textures applied). Does 4.12 sort this out?

Post edited by xyer0 on

Comments

• I think it works how they intended 

I don't think getting third party rigged meshes into studio is their priority 

DAZ studio is a means for rendering DAZ 3D content 

and legacy Poser stuff

we are lucky obj is supported cheeky

though that could do with some updates too, DS has the worst obj importer of any software I use, most can at least read a mtl file and assign textures and split multiple mesh objs

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,868
    edited December 2019

@WendyLuvsCatz Daz Studio can't read mtl files?

Post edited by xyer0 on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,049
    edited December 2019
    xyer0 said:

@WendyLuvsCatz Daz Studio can't read mtl files?

not as many as other programs 

it can read some

what is extremely perplexing is it cannot read the ones from it's own obj exports unless you take the custom option of creating a folder of maps and moving the obj and mtl file into it

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

@WendyLuvsCatz Thanks for the heads up.

• xyer0 said:

@WendyLuvsCatz Thanks for the heads up.

so you have never tried obj imports??????

@WendyLuvsCatz I've imported obj's, but never mtl files. Well, I tried mtl files, but they didn't work. I thought the problem was pilot error, which is what I thought with FBX until someone told me that Studio's FBX was broken.

• you don't import the mtl file, you import the obj, the mtl file is referenced by the obj

@WendyLuvsCatz I couldn't get the mtl file to apply properly to the obj.

• xyer0 said:

@WendyLuvsCatz I couldn't get the mtl file to apply properly to the obj.

my point, if they cannot implement a decent obj importer don't expect FBX to be fixed anytime soon, getting outside stuff into DAZ studio is way down on their list of priorities 

• xyer0 said:

Daz Studio has had a broken FBX importer for a long time, despite store claims to the contrary. Does 4.12 sort this out?

Broken how? It's my imprssion that FBX, like some other "standard" formats, is a pretty variable standard. And what store claims?

• xyer0 said:

Daz Studio has had a broken FBX importer for a long time, despite store claims to the contrary. Does 4.12 sort this out?

Broken how? It's my imprssion that FBX, like some other "standard" formats, is a pretty variable standard. And what store claims?

most people using FBX in other software can import figures rigged, animated and mesh in position or failing that at least the mesh in position with the bone names even if not rigged

DAZ studio FBX imports a jumbled mess

• ON OBJ/MTL, you might want to look at the updates for 4.12.1.40 (the current Public Build) https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5112696/#Comment_5112696

• xyer0 said:

most people using FBX in other software can import figures rigged, animated and mesh in position or failing that at least the mesh in position with the bone names even if not rigged

To me, that is a sign that the format of the FBX file is not what DAZ Studio is expecting.
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,049
    edited December 2019
    xyer0 said:

To me, that is a sign that the format of the FBX file is not what DAZ Studio is expecting.

would honestly love to hear from somebody who has successfully gotten a rigged figure intoDAZ studio using it, a few have gotten animation from motionbuilder back in apparently but the mesh still looks a mesh, they apply it to a new figure, I don't own Mobu to test that.

Collada I have had some limited success from a few programs namely Carrara and Makehuman but it usually unsaveable

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • I follow the topic of FBX import closely BTW because I want to be able to do it but so far if anybody is having success they have never shared it to my knowledge.

If you know something Daywalker Designs please do tell heart

• I also would love to see the support for importing .obj and .fbx files improved

edited December 2019
    xyer0 said:

Hi, @Richard_Haseltine! "Broken," in that, when importing a multiple mesh file, each and every mesh imports at zero position, irrespective of their original relationships in the source file. Furthermore, the texture/material files do not come in applied to the meshes.

In the past, I have worked around this by importing FBX files into Carrara (which imports all FBX meshes in their original file positions with textures/materials applied---hence, not broken). And then I would export Daz Collada files from Carrara so that I could bring them into Daz Studio without a hitch. Unfortunately, fbx 2019 is no longer compatible with Carrara's legacy fbx importer; so, I can no longer use it for those files that have upgraded to the most recent standard.

Thank you for asking about the "store claims." That was based upon my misapprehension that the Daz FBX Plug-In (which I purchased 5 years ago but is now included for free---thus, no more product page) was also meant to be an importer, but I now see that it speaks of export only. Duly noted and corrected in the OP.

Thanks for the link to the OBJ/MTL thread.

Post edited by xyer0 on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

I also would love to see the support for importing .obj and .fbx files improved

I'd love that to and even more options for IMPORTING! You would think the DAZ would want users to do more IN Daz Studio as opposed to using their content in other apps.

I can import rigged FBX figures into carrara all day long and even pose them there, but not DS

• Exporting a figure from DAZ to Blender and simply importing it again is impossible.

It says "Bones without root skeleton" and "Non uniform scale detected".

It's really blocking me as I have not found any workaround. I even spent days trying to find out how to fix it in the fbx (ascii version) file myself, but without any luck, I didn't understand fbx enough to make it work.

err1.jpg
    542 x 181 - 20K
  • is an old thread, they have improved obj mtl file map assignment considerably but you still need to make sure paths are quoted in your exports to reimport one