dForce Classic Long Wavy Hair material application problem

When attempting to apply any of the Iray Materials to Linday's dForce Classic Long Wavy Hair, the attempt fails, the materials are not changed and I get the following error messages (in the Studio log file):

2019-12-05 23:59:53.688 WARNING: QAccessibleWidget::rect: This implementation does not support subelements! (ID 44 unknown for QWidget)
2019-12-05 23:59:53.697 WARNING: QAccessibleWidget::rect: This implementation does not support subelements! (ID 4 unknown for QWidget)
2019-12-05 23:59:55.780 WARNING: QAccessibleWidget::rect: This implementation does not support subelements! (ID 3 unknown for QWidget)
2019-12-05 23:59:58.567 Invalid hierarchy for selected node(s) and "preset_hierarchical_material" type; no root(s) found.
2019-12-05 23:59:58.570 Error reading file, see log for more details.

Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,387

Looking at the log, the problem is that you're using a hierarchical preset (ie preset meant to work on an item with parented sub-items) with the wrong item selected.

The product page lists a Hair and an add-on, are you trying to use the materials directly on the add-on maybe?

• Gr00vusGr00vus Posts: 366
    edited December 2019

I've loaded just the hair in the scene, nothing else, not the add on. I select the hair root node in the scene tab and attempt to apply a material preset. The error is as above. I've tried selecting all the surfaces and applying the material preset as well - same error. Baffling. Seems like the model heirarchy is wrong or something. I've tried uninstalling the product and reinstalling - same problem occurs. I've tried it with the add on in the scene as well - same problem occurs. I'm stumped.

I have Linday's Clasic Curly Long Hair, Classic Long Hair, and Side Layered Messy Hair as well - they all work fine.

Post edited by Gr00vus on
  • Gr00vus said:

I've loaded just the hair in the scene, nothing else, not the add on. I select the hair root node in the scene tab and attempt to apply a material preset. The error is as above. I've tried selecting all the surfaces and applying the material preset as well - same error. Baffling. Seems like the model heirarchy is wrong or something. I've tried uninstalling the product and reinstalling - same problem occurs. I've tried it with the add on in the scene as well - same problem occurs. I'm stumped.

I have Linday's Clasic Curly Long Hair, Classic Long Hair, and Side Layered Messy Hair as well - they all work fine.

A hierarchical preset requires the right root parent - int his case that would be Genesis 8 Female. It won't work parented to another figure or, as you have it, parented to nothing.

Gr00vus said:

A hierarchical preset requires the right root parent - int his case that would be Genesis 8 Female. It won't work parented to another figure or, as you have it, parented to nothing.

That's the problem. I'll ask for a refund for the hair then,  as I don't use genesis 8.

• felisfelis Posts: 4,191
    Gr00vus said:

Maybe I am missing something.

But what is the benefit of using hierachical preset for this purpose?

I must say, I find them annoying.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,316
    edited December 2019
    Gr00vus said:
    Gr00vus said:

That's the problem. I'll ask for a refund for the hair then,  as I don't use genesis 8.

You could load Genesis 8 female, parent the hair to it, and apply the presests then save regular Materials Presets and use those instead.

felis said:
    Gr00vus said:

Maybe I am missing something.

But what is the benefit of using hierachical preset for this purpose?

I must say, I find them annoying.

Using a Hierarchical preset allows all parts to be changed with a single preset - rathr than having to select each in turn and apply a regular preset (or mutli-seelct and apply a preset, depending on how the product is set up).

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • efron_24efron_24 Posts: 474

I have bought it .. but can not find it when downloaded

it is not in the library

• Where are you looking?

edited December 2019

I just tried this and it didn't work. Though I do not get the same error, and in the surfaces settings pane it appears that the materials are applied, the visual representation of the hair itself does not change, and when rendered the hair does not render with the material I set. Have you tried your suggestion with this product yourself? 

Gr00vus said:
    Gr00vus said:

You could load Genesis 8 female, parent the hair to it, and apply the presests then save regular Materials Presets and use those instead.

Post edited by Gr00vus on
  • Gr00vus said:

I just tried this and it didn't work. Though I do not get the same error, and in the surfaces settings pane it appears that the materials are applied, the visual representation of the hair itself does not change, and when rendered the hair does not render with the material I set. Have you tried your suggestion with this product yourself? 

Gr00vus said:
    Gr00vus said:

Have you opened the hair node hierarchy?

It consists of a bunch of Geoshells and you have to apply materials to each Geoshell for hair, and for the addon with it's geoshells. 

Had this hair applied to Babina and Victoria (Both G8) and the H-Mats applied fine when Babina was selected and no hair.  All the Geoshells are then updated.  With so many Mat layers to update, Linday's providing H-Mats is very efficient and nice.

• efron_24efron_24 Posts: 474

Where are you looking?

seachting in smart files

and everywere else with "Wavy" but it is not there

• efron_24 said:

Where are you looking?

seachting in smart files

and everywere else with "Wavy" but it is not there

Always check the correct location under Daz Studio Formats in the Content Library - that's based on files on disc rather than the database (unless you are using Connect and looking in the Daz Connect container). From the read me that would be /Content Diectory name/People/Genesis 8 Female/Hair/Linday/dForce Classic Long Wavy Hair/ and sub-folders

• Just load g8f with the hair, and the collor you want. Copy the materials in surfaces tab and paste to your character.