Carrara modeling tutorial by Mike Moir

2»

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,235
    edited December 1969

Agreed.
    I hope Mike makes a lot more of these things.

• Rich GellesRich Gelles Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Mike's tutorial is awesome indeed. No doubt he better do more of these . Smiles.

And here is the thing about manuals. They tell usually how a tool works or what it does.. They rarely show you how to use the tool or ways you can. A simple example , mike in these tuts will often create another vertex loop in a model to either define a sharper edge or one that might render better. The manuals never give you these insights.

I cannot imagine too many folks who would not benefit from gettings Mike's tutorials,

Nice job Mike. And again ---(I am relentless) we really do need one for character modeling. Please..............................

rich

• mmoirmmoir Posts: 821
    edited December 1969

Rich,
    A tutorial for character model would take quite a long time , I don't model enough characters to model them quickly and add on top of that trying to be clear in what you are doing for the sake of the tutorial . I would think 4 or 5 hours of video at least , not impossible but a tough task none the less as the video file size would be huge.
    Anyways , I will think about it.
    Mike

Mike's tutorial is awesome indeed. No doubt he better do more of these . Smiles.

And here is the thing about manuals. They tell usually how a tool works or what it does.. They rarely show you how to use the tool or ways you can. A simple example , mike in these tuts will often create another vertex loop in a model to either define a sharper edge or one that might render better. The manuals never give you these insights.

I cannot imagine too many folks who would not benefit from gettings Mike's tutorials,

Nice job Mike. And again ---(I am relentless) we really do need one for character modeling. Please..............................

rich

• Rich GellesRich Gelles Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

mike,
    Oh , I kow this would be a long one but you could break it out somewhat. ie. Making a character the lower body, the upper body and then the face. perhaps. So it would be a three part one in total. each maybe a slong as this one.

Anyhow, just something to think about.
    smiles.
    rich

edited February 2014

Sorry for posting so many times here, but Man!!!

This is excellent stuff!

I knew a lot of this. Read about it. You know... in the manual.

Seeing you scope the way... priceless.

As I've hinted earlier... I really like the personality... the chuckles here and there... well done!

Okay, this really fires me up for what I've really been into a lot lately. So in honor of these great new tips, I'm going to use what I've been learning from scratch to make my first Genesis 2 hair product for DAZ 3D, by Dartanbeck, and I'm going to mention this tutorial product in the product info as well!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • mmoirmmoir Posts: 821
    edited December 1969

Thanks guys for the positive comments on the tutorials , it is truly appreciated by me.

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited February 2014

This looks like a truly worthy purchase! It has been ages since I bought anything from the store...time to rectify that and hopefully rekindle some passion for Carrara.

EDIT: Done and done. Now to watch!

Post edited by Garstor on
  • OldminerOldminer Posts: 134
    edited March 2014

I purchased and installed (via IM) the Carrara Modeling Tutorial, I can find the files in General folder in the Carrara8.5 content, however I don't see how access the tutorials. I added the General folder and the sub folders show up but nothing runs>

I went in to General in Finder and double clicked on the mp4 the video runs - if this is the way it's supposed to then I guess it's working ok

Post edited by Oldminer on
    edited December 1969

Yes. You just open the video files from the folder.
    For an example, I grabbed the whole folder structure and put it in my "Videos" folder and access them from there. Then I dragged the working file folders into my Browser storage system.

• OldminerOldminer Posts: 134
    edited December 1969

Thanks Dart I followed you suggestion and everything is fine. Thanks again.

The Carrara Discussion Forum is a GREAT resource.

edited December 1969

EUGENEWD said:
    Thanks Dart I followed you suggestion and everything is fine. Thanks again.

The Carrara Discussion Forum is a GREAT resource.

I agree. We learn something new nearly every day around here! Sweet!
  • therixxtherixx Posts: 91
    edited February 2023

Ok, I know I am nearly 10 years late, and I also lost trace of Mike Moir and his not anymore available products (sigh, sob), but I bought long time ago his modeling tutorials and I just followed them this month...
    I loved them.
    I don't know if Mike will ever read this but I just want to thank him: I learned a lot, not only modeling but also shading and lighting.
    Really happy about these tuts. Thank you again.

MMoir_Tuts-Pencil-Carrara.png
    1024 x 768 - 752K
    Post edited by therixx on

He'll read it. He loves helping people learn stuff!!!

When I first got into Carrara, I had to buy his "Mystic Gorge" for Carrara - it looks so fraking cool!

Well as I looked at how the whole thing was assembled I was absolutely stunned! I wanted to know more!

I checked out the product details and... sure enough! He put a nice manual with the thing. I mean... notes, tips, tricks... all kinds of excellent information for someone just learning the ropes, or a Carrara veteran. Made me really sad the day they took his store down - and the same goes for Phillip Drawbridge too. Well, I was sad every time I saw Carrara products removed from the store - even when I already owned them. What harm could it possibly do to allow Carrara users a chance to get some great products. There's still some cool stuff, but the items that are now missing is an absolute shame!

In this very early video, at around 26 seconds in we see the Mystic Gorge through around the 43 second mark. 

• I wish he would put his stuff up at Renderosity, while I own a lot of his scenes there are a few I don't like Waldon Park

Me too. I had all of his stuff in my wish list, but didn't get it all. I'm loving the stuff I did get, but it would be awesome to complete the collection!

@Wendy

Yaaaay!!! My new drum stuff has shipped!

In about 7 business days (shipping from Canada), I'm gonna be a rockin' little guy once again!!!

• Dartanbeck said:

@Wendy

Yaaaay!!! My new drum stuff has shipped!

In about 7 business days (shipping from Canada), I'm gonna be a rockin' little guy once again!!!

woooo awesome 

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,815

therixx said:

Ok, I know I am nearly 10 years late, and I also lost trace of Mike Moir and his not anymore available products (sigh, sob), but I bought long time ago his modeling tutorials and I just followed them this month...
    I loved them.
    I don't know if Mike will ever read this but I just want to thank him: I learned a lot, not only modeling but also shading and lighting.

I totally missed out on these back then and this topic... would be awesome if they were still available but alas we must fumble on without crying

can't help but notice how many posters no longer seem to post anymore... sigh

anyways we'll keep on tubthumping yes

• therixx said:

I loved them.

Wow, I didn't even know this thread existed.  Thanks for awakening it.  Beautiful render!

Mike has not posted here in years.  It is likely that he is not paying attention, unfortunately.

I actually have this tutorial, but I've never opened it.  Been meaning to do it, though.

• UnifiedBrain said:

therixx said:

I loved them.

Wow, I didn't even know this thread existed.  Thanks for awakening it.  Beautiful render!

Mike has not posted here in years.  It is likely that he is not paying attention, unfortunately.

I actually have this tutorial, but I've never opened it.  Been meaning to do it, though.

he stopped the day DAZ removed his store

I don't blame him

miss him though crying 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085

The modeling tutorial by @mmoir was a valuable building block for me.  On the forums, @Mmoir was an inspiration to start animating, although I have not genuinely followed up until much more recently.  Remember 'The Final Gesture'?

Thread with community contributions and initial discussion - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/114186/animators-club-for-carrara-wip-thread-first-animation-week-1-the-final-gesture/p1

Thread with video - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/121171/animation-clubs-first-animation-is-done-the-final-gesture#latest

• Wow! Dartan, Wendy, Stezza, Unifiedbrain, Diomede! Thank you all. It's wonderful how together we awakened an old thread like this :-)
    Yes, we all miss mmoir and other artists. Would be nice to see them and maybe their stuff reappear somewhere (ah, Mystic Gorge! I miss you especially among many other products...)
    @Unifiedbrain thank you, but I just followed the tut, and its final image is like that. Just my writing on the pencil is different to homage mmoir :-)
    Dear Carrarists, may I ask you a question? How did you see my post? Is there some kind of notification I am not aware of? Or you check the main carrara discussion page to see which threads have new posts?

• my bookmarked link to DAZ is the Carrara forum

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085
    edited February 2023

Similar, I typically go to the Carrara forum first if I am going to the Daz3D website.

There is a way to be notified if a specific forum thread gets updated.  The forum software sends an email when a new post has been added.  I think you click to the upper right of the thread on the forum page.  And you can uncheck it if you no longer want notification.

subscribe forum thread 2.jpg
    1910 x 580 - 218K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • therixxtherixx Posts: 91

Wow, thank you! I will try your advices to stay more tuned to Carrara posts.
    I didn't notice the star on the upper right, maybe because I am not always logged in (the star is there just in this case).