Poser Problems When Genesis 2 Figures Loaded

KatLadyKatLady Posts: 38
edited December 1969 in Poser Discussion

I have preferred to manually install the Genesis content in Poser, mostly so that I can find the items I want. I've managed to get to where the figure is visible when loaded, and I can alter its shape. However, once one of the Genesis 2 figures has been loaded, Poser's library stops working. I can't get it to change to the material files, for example. What can I do to correct this? It doesn't happen with Genesis 1. Also, are the data files important to a Poser user? If so, what should we do with them?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,454
    edited December 1969

Scripts>DSON Support>Importer Preferences. Turn off the option to show the progress bar during import. If that doesn't stop the library freezing please make a bug report via the Contact Us page, selecting Technical Support as the contact department.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,919
    edited December 1969

No you don't need the data files/folder for Poser.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    edited December 1969

You do need the Data folder for DSON figures. That has the geometry and morph data.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,919
    edited December 1969

it all depends where your installing you DSON files

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,454
    edited December 1969

I'm not sure what you mean there - the files in the Data folder are vital for the content to load in Poser, they contain the geometry and morphs. If you already have content installed for DS, and have Poser pointed to the DS content directory, then you don't need a second copy of the Data folder just for Poser but you do need one accessible copy somewhere. What you don't need are the folders with the DS user files - the \People or \Props folders in the root of the external library folder, alongside the Runtime folder, nor do you need the metadata in Runtime\Support for a Poser-only system.

• KatLadyKatLady Posts: 38
    edited December 1969

I get this message now:

An errror occurred importing addon dson :
    ERROR: No module named dzdsonimporter

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "D:\Smith Micro\Poser 10\Runtime\Python\poserScripts\ScriptsMenu\DSON Support\Importer Preferences....py", line 2, in
    import dson;
    File "D:\Smith Micro\Poser 10\Runtime\Python\addons\dson\__init__.py", line 4, in
    import dson.dzdsonimporter
    ImportError: No module named dzdsonimporter

Time to contact tech support?

• KatLadyKatLady Posts: 38
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the info about needed files and data files. I wondered why there weren't any geometry files, and where to put the morph files. It may be getting them from the data base, but I have also started a data file in the Poser directory. Don't know if its needed or not, and have little in it yet.

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,809
    edited December 1969

Do you have the 32-bit version of DSON Importer installed? You need it for Poser 10...

• Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153
    edited December 1969

KatLady said:
    I get this message now:

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "D:\Smith Micro\Poser 10\Runtime\Python\poserScripts\ScriptsMenu\DSON Support\Importer Preferences....py", line 2, in
    import dson;
    File "D:\Smith Micro\Poser 10\Runtime\Python\addons\dson\__init__.py", line 4, in
    import dson.dzdsonimporter
    ImportError: No module named dzdsonimporter

Time to contact tech support?

From the look of your error message for DSON, I'm gonna guess that it simply isn't installed into the proper location. The new DAZ Install Manager may be problem in that there are some defaults that are a bit hidden.

I recently had an “incident” where I had to re-install Poser Pro 2012 and decided to do the same for DAZ 4.6. When I installed DSON though, I was getting the same error message and sure enough, it wasn't where I. I +started poking around in the DAZ installer and discovered a couple things.

First off in the Settings menu (the Gear icon in the upper right next to Help), besides the Applications there's also an Installation Tab. This is where my problems were happening as it defaults to a Public folder under C:\Users. I've a relatively small boot drive so don't want anything to just arrogantly install to it.

So, under Applications, I left C:/Program Files (x86)/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4 as that's where the DAZ Install Manager installs itself, but removed everything else related to C: as my programs are installed onto my D: namely:

for DAZ - D:/Programs/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4
    for Poser - D:/Poser Pro 2012

Under Installation however, I left the default C:/Program Files for 64-bit software and C:/Program Files (x86) for the 32-bit items, even though I don't install any 32-bit items.

For content updates though, I select the first item for installing to Respective “Install” paths and entered:

D:/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library
    D:/Poser Pro 2012

Notice these AREN'T pointing to the Runtime folders.

Once you get all of that sorted out, make sure you install ALL of the Genesis Starter Essentials. That's actually SEVEN files:

Genesis 2 DMC
    Genesis 2 Female Starter Essentials
    Genesis 2 Female Starter Essentials PoserCF
    Genesis 2 Male Starter Essentials
    Genesis 2 Male Starter Essentials PoserCF
    Genesis Starter Essentials
    Genesis Starter Essentials PoserCF

And of course the DSON Importer for Windows, 64-bit in my case.

Now, you should be able to fire up Poser and add the correct DAZ Library using the Poser Libraries window. In my case that is:
    D:\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\Runtime

You should also now be able to open the DSON Support item under Poser scripts w/o having an error message.

Hope that helps.