Substance Painter and Daz Studio Iray

I have created a texture in Substance Painter and trying to set up surfaces in Daz Studio.

I understand that the renderer in Substance Painter is Iray also.  But there seems to be a big departure between the look of the texture in Daz Studio render.

Does anyone have any idea why there is a visible difference between both renders when applying the texture maps (exported from Substance Painer) into the surfaces tool in Daz Studio?

I exported the following maps from Substance Painter (because these were the channels i made adjustments to when texturing)

- Base Colour

- Metallicity

- Roughness

- Normal

- Opacity

I was hoping for an easy way to achieve the same look from Substance in Daz.

Substance Painter1.PNG
1568 x 1868 - 2M
Substance Painter 2.PNG
1622 x 1823 - 2M
DazStudio1.PNG
2175 x 1511 - 987K
DazStudio2.png
1080 x 1102 - 1M

Comments

• What are the Glossy settings in DS?

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,402

What are the Glossy settings in DS?

i have them at zero.

Capture10.PNG
    2192 x 1467 - 1M
  • Well, that's why you don't have any shine on it the way you do in SP.

edited November 2019

If im using metal/roughness PBR shader, i thought "glossiness" would be covered by a combination of the metallicity and roughness?

What value would i need to set the glossiness to?  Should I just use my roughness map for glossy roughness setting?

Post edited by lilweep on
  • I use Substance as well.

Metallicity - Metallicity - 1.0

Base Color - Base Color - White 

Roughness - Glossy Roughness - 1.0

Height Map - Base Bump - 1.0

Normal Map - Normal Map - 1.0

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

That is what I hate about Substance Painter, you don't need/shouldn't use metallicity, roughness or height maps in Daz Studio, they just take up resources. These settings are meant for highend apps like Maya and C4D and renderers like Vray or Marmoset. nothing worse than purchasing a new outfit only to find that the metal parts and the leather parts of an outfit are all one material zone with maps controlling the different materials instead.Metal should be it's own material zone as well as leather with the settings controlled within Daz Studio parameters, not by the maps.

That is what I hate about Substance Painter, you don't need/shouldn't use metallicity, roughness or height maps in Daz Studio, they just take up resources. These settings are meant for highend apps like Maya and C4D and renderers like Vray or Marmoset. nothing worse than purchasing a new outfit only to find that the metal parts and the leather parts of an outfit are all one material zone with maps controlling the different materials instead.Metal should be it's own material zone as well as leather with the settings controlled within Daz Studio parameters, not by the maps.

I think if i was making a product (which im not), then i would be a lot more considerate and create material zones for people to make their own adjustments. But worrying about how to do the texturing with shaders and material zones - that just adds an extra step in the workflow for me.  And i realise it takes up resources, but that's sort of a cost/benefit analysis someone needs to make themselves.

I use Substance as well.

Metallicity - Metallicity - 1.0

Base Color - Base Color - White 

Roughness - Glossy Roughness - 1.0

Height Map - Base Bump - 1.0

Normal Map - Normal Map - 1.0

Thanks, I will try that.

Do you set Glossy Layered Weight and Glossy Reflectivity values to any specific values?  Im obviously prepared to just eyeball what i feel looks good, but just wondering what recommendations would be if there are such.

• eshaesha Posts: 3,235

I agree that parts which have separate geometry and which need a different surface setup should be a separate surface. It's much more practical when you want to change only some parts (e.g. turn the armor from bright to dark but don't change the leather). I also agree that it makes not much sense to plug uniformly white, grey, or black maps in 4k size into the metallicity or roughness channels, which is one of my pet peeves.

However, I cannot agree to your statement that metallicity or roughness shouldn't be used at all. Because this would only allow very simple and basic materials and textures. The Iray shader in DS allows us to create complex materials, why not use those possibilites? I think it's awesome that we can create the same advanced materials in DS as you can have in the expensive software packages you mentioned.
    Tiny rivets on leather? Embroidery with metallic thread? A shiny or even metallic surface with dirt spatters? Brocade fabric? All of these need metallicity and/or roughness maps.
    Even height maps, when used in the bump channel, can be very useful for defining bigger shapes while the normal map provides the fine details.

If for some reason you don't want complex materials, you can always unplug the maps and apply a generic shader.

lilweep said:

If im using metal/roughness PBR shader, i thought "glossiness" would be covered by a combination of the metallicity and roughness?

What value would i need to set the glossiness to?  Should I just use my roughness map for glossy roughness setting?

If you're using the Iray Uber shader in Metallicity/Roughness mode you don't have a setting called "Glossiness".
    You have the Glossy Layered Weight which is an overall control slider for all the glossiness settings. That's something that Substance Painter doesn't have. For very glossy things I set it to 1 (=100%). For normal materials I have it around 0.3. For rough things like wool or unpainted wood etc. I turn it even further down. For some reason glossiness looks stronger in DS than it does in Substance Painter.
    I usually leave Glossy Reflectivity at 0.5.
    When I use a roughness map I usually dial up the Glossy Roughness slider to 1. When I use it without a map I tweak the value to get the effect I want.

I hope that helps smiley

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649

That is what I hate about Substance Painter, you don't need/shouldn't use metallicity [...]

Substance Painter exports in basically all known formats. If you don't like metal/rough, then choose something else. And Substance will export whatever maps you need. Don't hate an app because you don't understand it.