Error saving the file .mov Mac 4.12 beta

inacentaurinacentaur Posts: 109

After spending almost 2 days rendering out a Daz3D movie on my Mac... the grand finale of saving the file happens... and then... (note directory name below obfuscated of course) 

Error saving the file: "/user/me/file.mov" The render could not be saved. Try again or choose a new file name. 

Help???!

(Mac Catalina) 

Post edited by inacentaur on

Comments

• You should be able to rescue the image sequence that DS rendered from the temp folder.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,841

I think the DS temp is ~/Library/Application Support/Daz 3D/studio4/temp/render

• JD_MortalJD_Mortal Posts: 758
    edited November 2019

With the limits and limitations of Daz's internal video rendering options, I would suggest the following...

Render your animations as just a series of images, into one designated folder. Then, use an external program which can turn "sequenced images" into a video. (There are many free programs which can do this.)

You will have more output options and better "help", related to making the videos in those programs than you will from the limited settings that you will find in Daz, for video output. You will also have much more control, and no chance to lose your hard work, after rendering and between video formatting. Not to mention that you can change formats and try multiple options, without havnig to re-render the whole thing again.

You can use windows movie-maker (whatever it is now called), to do this. Photoshop can do this. VirtualDub does this easily...

Just make sure you have the latest "codex" files, for the formats you wish to use. Also note... If you notice a sour-spot in your renders, you can easily just fix those frames, export and use them to replace the already rendered images. Without a need to re-render all the images again.

Quick Tip: Use the denoiser for rendering video sequences. You tend to need less "detail", in video than you need in still-frames. Especially where things move fast. If you have a part that NEEDS more detail, again, you can just re-render those segments with higher detail and replace the files in your other rendered image sets. This makes editing sooo much easier and non-destructive. (Re-encoding, previously compressed video, into a new video, adds to image quality loss. Just like recompressing edited JPG files, will add more compression and degridation to the image. Video is a lot worse!)

P.S. There is a new video format which has "Transparency"... "webm", can now retain PNG transparent ALPHA layers. (It's not honestly "new", but newer than AVI or MOV or WMA or MP4 containers.) EG, you are no longer limited to using non-transparent image formats for those videos. For the rest, ALPHA is ignored, unless you are "editing", and have a program that treats the ALPHA as a "Green-screen", and can also import sequenced images too. They exist, but not often free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufdGUllU2qc

Post edited by JD_Mortal on
  • Rod Wise DriggoRod Wise Driggo Posts: 2,182

Have the same issue. And could rescue the PNGs from temp. But is there a way to have Studio (4.15 here) save the MOV properly. The app should have the necessary rights to save to either render library, documents folder or desktop. Neither worked. Saving single renders is no problem at all whatsoever.

• Hi everyone,

I am new to Daz and unfortunately I can't save a movie either, rendering images is fine. I can't find any solution on google or youtube... Does anyone had this figure out already? Or, are you using a external software to render a movie?

Thanks

• kristina.grosso84 said:

Hi everyone,

I am new to Daz and unfortunately I can't save a movie either, rendering images is fine. I can't find any solution on google or youtube... Does anyone had this figure out already? Or, are you using a external software to render a movie?

Thanks

For now, render to an image sequence and ten assemble that into a finished .mov file - no need to render externally, and in fact it is not a good idea to render directly to a final animation (though this is still a bug/limitation, not a cool new feature to enforce good practice).