Anyone using a 3DConnexion SpaceMouse?

I'm using Daz 4.12 and the latest 10.6.3 3DxWare driver (Win 10 64 bit) for a SpaceMouse Enterprise. It is so sensitive, the slightest touch sends the image flying, usually off the screen. Adjusting either the overall sensitivity in the SpaceMouse control panel, or going to the Advanced screen and adjusting specific axes (e.g. slide left-right, or push up-down) has no affect whatsoever. In fact, there are "Reverse" check boxes for each of the 6 motions, so you can make it move the figure instead of the camera. Checking them does not do anything; the selected motion does not get reversed. So it seems it is completely ignoring the settings, The control panel does say it is making changes for Daz Studio when I open it while running Daz. So it is detecting the Daz is running. It just won't modulate the sensitivity for Daz.

Has anyone here gotten a SpaceMouse to work (on Windows) with Daz Studio?

Comments

• RaymandRaymand Posts: 62

One more piece of information. I was adjusting the 3d mouse using the 3DConnexion Properties app. But I just noticed that in Daz, there is a Device Settings command in the Edit menu. This brings up a dialog that has 2 tabs. One is labelled "3D Connexion". It has Mode choices: Orbit Camera (selected), Rotate Camera, or Transform Scene Item. I will check if changes this helps. One worrisome thing, at the top of the tab it says "Unknown Device connected". That doesn't sound good.

The other tab is "Sando 3D Mouse". It says "no device connected", and the same Mode choices, but they are greyed out.

Also, I should not that my SpaceMouse works well with other apps, like SketchUp.

• kgrosserkgrosser Posts: 141

The "thing" with 3Dconnexion is thta they shift support completely towards the vendor of the program instead utilizing open standards.

As a matter of fact I found the integration so so, but working enough to keep my SpacePilot Pro in constant use. What i can say is that you will want to have your overall and individual slider axis sensitivity set in the 20% range but see those changes only apply after restarting DAZ, which makes it a tedious process to find the sweet spot. Changing the control behaviour does work from within DAZ so you may give it a try. Orbit and Rotate are easy to confuse, as they (almost) do the same and only appear to revert some axes until you notice what they really do. While orbit camera is somewhat more easy to precisely control the camera it has a huge radius from the scene that cannot be adjusted and also is lacking the "tilt" axis, so you I found myself using Rotate. Transform scene item controls the node sliders so will let you pose characters respective their limbs. However, usually you more often need to change the viewport and until DAZ lets you either switch behaviour via modifiers (hey, feature request1) or supports 2 controllers (which I happen to own, hey, feature request #2) I have it fixed on Rotate.

Hope that helps

• RaymandRaymand Posts: 62

Thank you. That is very helpful information! I did not realize you needed to restart DAZ to see any changes. That explains why all the changes I made seem to have no effect--very frustrating! I'll also try changing the setting in DAZ to Rotate as you suggest.

• phong3dphong3d Posts: 15

This was really helpful. Thanks for this.

• TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 732
    edited September 2022

Thanks for the info, Just got a 3D connexion and was playing around to adjust the sensitivity. There is definitely a learning curve with this thing.Will have to pratice.

Does anyone have custom settings they can share? 

New version has customization and you can add up to 8 item dials on a Space Navigator. There is also an option to import / export your settings to share with others.

Post edited by Tugpsx on

You can create the custom wheel using the info below.

You would actually need to create a Macro in which it will allow you to give it a name and it will record the keystrokes.
    - Open 3Dconnexion Home
    - Click on Settings
    - Make sure its showing your application name on the top of our setting window
    - Click on Buttons
    - Select any button then click on the right arrow ">" to show the dropdown list of folders. You should see a folder named Macro
    - Click on Macro folder and scroll down then Choose NEW MACRO
    - You will be able to give the new Macro a name and the keystrokes
    - It will save automatically after pressing Save
    - Test it 

- you can then add up to 8 shortcuts to you buttons.

edited September 2022

Here is a custom template for Daz3D users of 3DConnexion

Place the file in any location you save your other configurations.

Open 3Dconnexion Home

click on settings there should be an option under more... to import configuration.

Be sure you are making edits for Daz3D and not another application as shown in the image.

I found this set to be very useful.

3DConnexionDaz3D.PNG
    579 x 359 - 141K
    zip
    zip
    Daz3DConnexion.zip
    3DConnexion Import location.PNG
    474 x 431 - 24K
    Post edited by Tugpsx on
  • Thank you for this thread.  I had dug up my old Spaceball 4000 FLX that I had nearly forgotten I had from the early 00's and found that (without a lot of fiddling) I could not get it working on new Windows versions.  I managed to find a used Spacemouse Pro on the secondary market, though and it works out of the box in DAZ - but the information you all provided here had me fully up, running, and tweaked in less than 30 minutes or so.

As I use it and come up with shortcuts of my own as I get better at it, I will try to add info and hints of my own. 

These things are not cheap, but if you can either save up for one or find one on teh secondary market, they are very much worth it.  They add a level of control to creating characters and scenes that is just amazing.