Scene .duf file suddenly got huge on save

I had a scene with a character and some clothes and stuff on it. It was around 2mb thorugh most of the work today. Then suddenly on another save it got to over 1GB size. That's just making it impossible to work, since it takes like 10 min to save. I tried to google the issue, and apparently it saved some assets to the file, as they were changed(?) But I don't recall changing anything like model's polygons, it was mostly sliders work. All I could think of is that dForce simulation, but it never increased the file size this much before. Neither did assigning other textures or changing colors, etc.

I tried deleting items one by one and saving, and deleting everything but the naked avatar seems to fix the problem. But seems like every cloth items attached to it is contributing to the file size, i.e. deleting hair would cut size from 1GB to 800mb, deleting a coat in addition would make it 700mb, etc.

Can it be set back to not saving everything inside the file? I haven't touched any toggles in fist place, it was saved as simple save as -> scene and then just saved.

I really don't feel like re-making the whole thing from scratch.

Comments

• I think it probably is the dForce data - you could try clearing that, item by item, and see how big the files were saved as a copy.

• Didn't seem like dForce, since there was just 1 dForce item and deleting it affected size the least. Oh well, kind of solved it by just removing all the items, hairs, bears and brows, saving as new file, then opening it and adding items back as fresh ones. Tooks some manual work to write down 20 or so modified sliders and then apply them back, but at least that worked.

• yamgaveyamgave Posts: 2

I ran into the same problem as you. There is only one G8 female model in my scene, and all the shape, pose, clothes,and hairs have been deleted.But this duf file still has 600mb.

• Are there any custom morphs, simulations, weight-mapped dForms, weight-mapped Push Modifiers?

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

I have noticed that when I use any of the dfocre hair and then change the scene identifier to fit another figure the file size shoots way up when I save.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

I have noticed that when I use any of the dfocre hair and then change the scene identifier to fit another figure the file size shoots way up when I save.

Could that be because you've just told D|S it's a different object, but you haven't saved it as a new figure/prop asset? When that happens, all the object's data gets stuffed into the scene file instead of storing in the /data/ folder for use in other scenes.

...or maybe I'm still a bit hazy on what the Scene Identifier does, and how to use it.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

Using Geometry Editor or Mesh Grabber can also increase file size.

• Dforce can have a huge impact. I have a 44s animation. After I have added dForce hair and did simulation on it my save file became impressivly huge. I don't know how huge exactly, because Daz is saving it for the hour and the .tmp for the save file is currently at 24GB and still not there. So yeah, I can say for sure that dForce hair can have HUGE impact on save file size and save time. I was at around 5GB before dForce hair. Had some dForce cloths and 44 second animation with 2 characters and it was already taking a bit of time to save it, but I was a few minutes, not hours...