dForce 'start bones from memorized pose' is like herding cats

Any time I try to start a simulation with this option selected, after memorizing the figure in the pose i want it to start from, the figure instead starts from a seemingly random pose that is usually vaguely similar to the one I memorized. I have tried keyframing the figure's entire heirarchy, but I don't know exactly why I expected that to help.. 

Is there a reason it behaves this way/ a way around it?

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,046

Honestly an animated pose is always the better choice as even the A or T poses cause issues if arms intersect etc in the transition 

if you use an animated pose you can see what the figure will do interpolating to it and avoid stuff blowing up

• lemips said:

Any time I try to start a simulation with this option selected, after memorizing the figure in the pose i want it to start from, the figure instead starts from a seemingly random pose that is usually vaguely similar to the one I memorized. I have tried keyframing the figure's entire heirarchy, but I don't know exactly why I expected that to help.. 

Are you using Memorise>Figure Pose? If any pose controls used were not correctly set to have their Type be Modifier/Pose then they would not  be included, and you'd get a mix of those at the final values and the properly typed ones at their memorised values.

• lemipslemips Posts: 23
    lemips said:

Are you using Memorise>Figure Pose? If any pose controls used were not correctly set to have their Type be Modifier/Pose then they would not  be included, and you'd get a mix of those at the final values and the properly typed ones at their memorised values.

edit>figure>memorize>memorize figure pose

I didn't change any control types, any way to check them other than one at a time, or someway else I should be memorizing the pose?

• One way would be, with the final pose applied, use the Zero Figure Pose command and see what is left (if anything, I don't know if this is the issue but it was the first thing I thought of that fitted the sumptoms).

• OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123

What's the best way to save the result of an animated drape (say, a figure with several draped bits of clothing) as a single-frame scene subset or some other thing that can be added to other scenes?  A scene subset includes the whole animation, which is unwanted and awkward to integrate.

One way would be, with the final pose applied, use the Zero Figure Pose command and see what is left (if anything, I don't know if this is the issue but it was the first thing I thought of that fitted the sumptoms).

Makes sense. Zeroing figure pose gives me a perfect T pose with no weirdness I can find..

• lemips said:

One way would be, with the final pose applied, use the Zero Figure Pose command and see what is left (if anything, I don't know if this is the issue but it was the first thing I thought of that fitted the sumptoms).

Makes sense. Zeroing figure pose gives me a perfect T pose with no weirdness I can find..

OK, then I was barking up the wrong tree. Sorry not to have had a useful suggestion. Do the poses save and rapply correctly? If theya re your own work you could post one here for othrs to test. If they are not your own work perhaps if you post the product name, or link if it's from a toS-friendly source someone will have the set to test.

lemips said:

OK, then I was barking up the wrong tree. Sorry not to have had a useful suggestion. Do the poses save and rapply correctly? If theya re your own work you could post one here for othrs to test. If they are not your own work perhaps if you post the product name, or link if it's from a toS-friendly source someone will have the set to test.

I haven't saved or applied them, I just posed the character manually with activepose, then memorized/restored to another frame to modify it to the pose I want at the start of the simulation, memorized that and went back to the end pose to start the sim. 

• There can be only one set of memorised values, it isn't a frame-by-frame thing.

There can be only one set of memorised values, it isn't a frame-by-frame thing.

Oh, yes I know, sorry my explanation was a bit spaghetti. I memorize the end pose so I can edit it in another frame, then once I have the pose I want the sim to start with I memorize that and go back to the frame I want to simulate in.

So for example, pose the character with it's arms crossed, restore that pose in another frame so you can uncross the arms into a better starting position without effecting the crossed pose you want, then memorize that uncrossed pose, go back to the crossed pose frame, and simulate with the bones starting in the uncrossed memorized pose... That's what I tried to do. the arms were the only things changed (restoring pose gives exactly what I expect,) but when I start simulating, the starting pose is almost random, with lots of other bones changing (like the torso bending and legs doing nonsense.)

Hopfully that makes more sense

• Well, I see what you are doing - but I don't see why it's failing.

• artistb3artistb3 Posts: 188

dForce Simulation "Start Bones From Memorized Pose" does not always properly restore the memorized pose during the Simulation.

If the root character is rotated at the final pose (I only had time to test with a Y Rotate), the Simulation-restored pose will use an incorrect rotation.  Of course, I have verified that the Memorize Figure Pose and Restore Figure Pose, outside of Simulation, do work correctly.  To reproduce the defect:

1.  Load G8F, zero the figure and do a Memorize Figure Pose.  This is the pose we want to use as the initial pose during our Simulation.

2.  Y Rotate the root figure (Genesis 8 Female) 90 degrees.  This is the pose we want to use as the final pose during our Simulation.

3.  On the Simulation Settings tab set Start Bones From Memorized Pose to "On" and Frames to Simulation to "Current Frame".

4.  Run the Simulation.

What we wanted was the figure to rotate 90 degrees during the Simulation.  What we actually got is the figure not rotating at all during the Simulation.

There is a workaround: 

In Step 1, before memorizing, Y Rotate the hip bone 180 degrees opposite the value used for the root Y rotation.  So, in the example above, Y Rotate the hip bone to -90, then Memorize Figure Pose.  You should see the figure Y rotate 90 degrees during the Simulation.  Attached are pose presets that demonstrate the workaround.

In my experience with dForce, there are many scenes where I definately prefer to use the "Current Frame" and "Start Bones From Memorized Pose" in order to do the simulation (as opposed to animated).  I hope DAZ fixes this.

duf
    duf
    Pose for Memorize.duf
    duf
    duf
    Pose Ending.duf