Objects move around when grouped/ungrouped [Solved]

MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,462

I'm having a lot of trouble with objects moving around when they are grouped and ungrouped, sometimes it has to do with moving the group, and then objects move when ungrouped. I seem to be having more trouble with this lately and I'm not sure why. It can happen when I don't move any objects, I just group them and they shift. So far I haven't noticed a constant reason for it. 

Post edited by Marshian on

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,915

Do you have Parent in Place checkmarked to keep them from moving when parenting them to the newly created group?

• MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,462

I'll check that out. I was hoping it was something simple. Some default setting I altered or was changed when updating DS.

Thanks barbult

These are my options and only "Parent Selected Items to new group" actually puts the items in a group. I dont see parent in place. This is the way I have been doing things, the way that produces random results.

I'm beginning to think it has something to do with how the PA grouped, imported, or built these items in DS

Annotation 2019-10-09 141630.jpg
    320 x 304 - 25K
  • Marshian said:

These are my options and only "Parent Selected Items to new group" actually puts the items in a group. I dont see parent in place. This is the way I have been doing things, the way that produces random results.

I'm beginning to think it has something to do with how the PA grouped, imported, or built these items in DS

Check the Scene pane option menu.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,915
    edited October 2019

This is a demonstration of the way adding and removing objects from a group works, first with Parent in Place off and then with it on.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/elnn9jxnki7k1r7/Parent%20in%20Place.mp4?dl=0

(The state of the Parent in Place setting at the time a new group is created, will affect whether the grouped objects transform when they are removed from the group later.)

Post edited by barbult on

Thanks so much, Richard and barbult. Problem solved

• Thank you so very much for this answer, my friend!

I was just about to hurt myself or someone else because of this NEW frustrating problem that didn't seemed to go away no matter what I tried!