How to make my own shaders?

Are there any tutorial videos on how to make your own shaders?

Comments

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,016
    edited October 2019

Tutorials/instructions: n.b. that there are 2 types of shaders available for use in Daz Studio.

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/software/shaderbuilder/creating_editing_shaders

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Tutorials/instructions: n.b. that there are 2 types of shaders available for use in Daz Studio.

Not sure what you mean...are you referring to RSL and MDL shaders?

Are there any tutorial videos on how to make your own shaders?

There are two ways of making your own shaders in DS, Shader Mixer or Shader Builder. You can find their panes under windows. Both have their pros and cons. I find Shader Mixer easier to use, maybe start by looking into that? But first, do a google search for both of them. Read and watch everything you can find about them. Then read everything you can find about shaders so you know what a shader is. Then decide for which rendering engine you want to design it. Also, if you don't fully understand how to edit materials inside DS, learn that before considering making your own shaderssmiley. Also bear in mind that you need a good portion of patience, because neither mixer nor builder are exactly bug free or stable:) Good luck with your projectyes

• Shaders for Iray
    Shaders for 3Delight

Iray and 3Delight being different rendering engines.

• Thanks for the information, all.  I'll have to look into it after getting rid of the other "irons in the fire."

• RiverMissyRiverMissy Posts: 292

Catherine3678ab said:

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/software/shaderbuilder/creating_editing_shaders

Hi Sven,

The Daz link isn't working.  Do you have an updated link.  I want to make a very simple white shader for 3delight.  No glossiness, no nothing but white.  Any suggestions?  Thank you.

edited July 2022

RiverMissy said:

Hi Sven,

The Daz link isn't working.  Do you have an updated link.  I want to make a very simple white shader for 3delight.  No glossiness, no nothing but white.  Any suggestions?  Thank you.

Sure! You don't need to make a special shader for that, just use the dz default shader with a pure white diffuse color. Set specular strength to 0 or choose the matte lighting model. If you want it to look like it glows, add ambient strength. Then you could select the figure/object and the surface and save as a shader preset. 

Post edited by Sven Dullah on

Where are the Daz default shaders?  I looked for way too long last night and never found them.  I really want something that has absolutely nothing to it but white color.  Thanks.

Should be in your DAZ3D library/shader presets/DS defaults.

edited July 2022

Here's a simple ambient shader that won't react to lighting, if that's what you need. Apply it to any surface that you want to render at RGB 255.255.255.

You can paste it into your DAZ library/presets/shaders, or just select the figure/object and surface(s) and drop it into your scene. And no, it won't cast shadows;)

-dz default matte white with a standard distant light with raytraced shadows:

-same with my innovative PureWhite shader:

dz default matte white.png
    800 x 600 - 239K
    PureWhite shader.png
    800 x 600 - 207K
    PureWhite.png
    800 x 600 - 795K
    duf
    duf
    PureWhite.duf
    Post edited by Sven Dullah on

Thank you. 

Sven Dullah said:

Should be in your DAZ3D library/shader presets/DS defaults.

And thank you again.

• Hi everyone! I would like to create a shader with printed patterns, like flower or wings, so I created an image with gimp on which I drew the patterns I want and I wonder how I can create a  shader from that. Have I to save my image in a specific folder? When I am in the "Surface" section of DS, is it possible to insert this image at the place of the diffuse color?

Thank you in advance for your answer!

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313

yuyu.atem said:

Hi everyone! I would like to create a shader with printed patterns, like flower or wings, so I created an image with gimp on which I drew the patterns I want and I wonder how I can create a  shader from that. Have I to save my image in a specific folder? When I am in the "Surface" section of DS, is it possible to insert this image at the place of the diffuse color?

Thank you in advance for your answer!

Do you mean a shader preset rather than an actual new shader ?

• yuyu.atemyuyu.atem Posts: 168
    edited January 3

scorpio said:

Do you mean a shader preset rather than an actual new shader ?

I envisage to do both... For now, I tried to create a new shader preset, but it doesn't work like I would want. For exemple, with the cotton shader avaiable with the default DS shaders, there is a pullover-like cotton image on the base color preset. I would like to keep this pullover-like cotton image, since it's a texture I would like to use, but I would like to add another image, with the pattern I drew, so as to obtain a pullover-like cotton with patterns shader. Is there a way to do it?

Thank you in advance!

Post edited by yuyu.atem on