Backup DIM installed files, manifest, etc. before windows reset/reformat

Hi,

I need to try resetting my computer (hopefully not reformat) to see if it fixes issues I have. It just keeps getting worse and worse.(still can't use my nvidia card to render; hoping it's not bad, but worse I can't type more than a sentence at a time before it makes an alert sound and stops me; I'm going crazy) If I reset I won't lose the files, but it will uninstall everything as far as I know. Anyway, I want to make sure that I backup what I need to so that I can reinstall DS and have it recognize where all the files were installed with the DIM so I don't need to reinstall anything. I have far too many to go back through with DIM, and I have it organized the way I want, which is why I've been putting this off. If it doesn't work I'm going to need to backup the installed files and whatever else onto a harddrive, but want to be able to just drag the files back to the same location after I reinstall DS. In case you need to know, I have everything installed by runtime folders, because originally I always used Poser and not DS so much, but since I wanted to, I installed everything fresh with DIM, but it's set up like C:/Runtimes/G2 C:/Runtimes/G3 etc. Also obviously I would prefer it if when I open my DS files the links work and it doesn't make me tell where everything is again either.

I've tried searching, and I've found different things, but they seem to be for fixing it once you screwed it up. I just want to do it right in the first place.I'm running Windows 10.

Comments

• Back up the contnt diectories and the %AppData%/daz 3d/ folder and you will get all but the stuff that goes in the registry. Do that with all the Daz applications closed. You may need to back up /Documents/Daz 3D/Studio too as some plug-ins place files there even if it isn't a content directory.

• I apologize I never got a chance to finish this, thanks for the help. I am the worst procrastinator. So as long as I install DS back in the same folder it should be okay? the thing that confuses me is I have other folders I'm wondering if I need. Other than the app data folder, do I not need any of this?

I assume I don't need anything under program files, because that would be reinstalled. I will copy all the stuff under my documents etc. and put them back too. What about Program Data folder though? Also, do I need this:

C:\users\Public\PublicDocuments\DAZ 3D\InstallManager\ManifestFiles

Thanks

• Appdata has the database (by default) and a lot of settings, so yes you almost certainly want that.

• Ok, but as long as I've copied all that I should be good to go without any downloading or reinstalling? I've copied all of the stuff I listed just in case - i didn't know about that manifest file folder I thought maybe it was important.

The other thing, and I assume this doesn't make a difference, but all of my runtimes are actually on my D drive. It's just the programs (and all the settings I assume) that are on C which is the one being reformatted. The content itself I'm not actually even touching.

Thanks

• The Mainfests are how Install Manager and Central track what they have installed, so certainly wanted.

• Okay is that all though? I want to make sure I'm not missing anything before I start the reformat.

Thanks

• Some thingsa are stored in registry keys, you can in principle export those and merge them later but I'd be wary of playing in the registry.

• Do I even need to do that? This is just so it recognizes where everything is stored?

• I never even try to preserve the locations, it's pretty simple just to add them back in (and edit/remove any thata re wrong) after the reformat or system change. The database stores only relative paths, so as long as it can find the content directory it isn't critical that it be in the same place or have the same name.