4.12 Render Time

So I may have made a major mistake by installing 4.12 today.  A scene that had been rendering in 30 munites, 2500 Iterations is now rendering 288 Iterations in 30-minutes.

It showed that it is using my 2080Ti card when the cene started.  Unfortunately, I just had a new motherboard put in this week and the computer shop turned off my restore points, so I can't revery back to 4.11.

This software is SOOOOOOO FRUSTRATING.  Just when you ythink you have everything humming along something messes everything up.

Am I the only one experienceing slower render times?

Comments

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077
    edited September 2019

You need Nvidia driver 430.86 or newer for 4.12 and to use the RTX capabilities. My renders with a 980TI are consistenly 20% faster than Studio 4.11. I am running Nvidia drivr 430.86.

Post edited by fastbike1 on
  • ToyenToyen Posts: 1,879

I don't have RTX but I feel like my renders are faster in 4.12. I do have the latest driver though.

• davegvdavegv Posts: 164
    edited September 2019

In testing my brand spanking new RTX2080Ti:  I have read the impression's others have with the speed increase from Rel 11 to Rel 12 but a typical sample scene I used for comparision gave me this : Release 12: 51minutes, 36sec VS Release 11: 1 hour 13min - So I am not that impressed with the speed increase in IRay, (But it is as advertised a 15-20% increase. I was just wishing for more.....and that same scene was also within 10 minutes of what my previous GTX1080 performed. I also discovered clicking the CPU Use with the GPU shaved off up to 15 minutes on the render time ( I have a Threadripper 2950X )

Of course everyone will have different results as everyones system configured different.

Post edited by davegv on
  • A 15% increase without changing hardware is pretty impressive to me. Add that onto the 10% or so savings from upgrading your hardware from the 1080 and that takes a render that took 1 1/2 hours (roughly based on your statements) down to 51 minutes. That's in excess of a 40% increase in render speed. That it came in two steps makes it less obvious but that is pretty huge.

• katjesartskatjesarts Posts: 17

I had to re-install DAZ Studio. Until a few days ago, I was working with DAZ Studio 4.10. Since I am working with the version 4.12, my renders need twice the time compared to the previous version. I am quite frustrated right now and I do not know what I can do to improve the render time. Where can I download DAZ Studio 4.10?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582

I had to re-install DAZ Studio. Until a few days ago, I was working with DAZ Studio 4.10. Since I am working with the version 4.12, my renders need twice the time compared to the previous version. I am quite frustrated right now and I do not know what I can do to improve the render time. Where can I download DAZ Studio 4.10?

What graphics card and driver?

edited May 2020

What graphics card and driver?

CUDA 0 - GeForce GTX 1070 (WDDM - Display) and installed the Nvidia driver 430.86 (see above)

Post edited by katjesarts on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582

Can you try the Studio driver?  442.92 is the latest for Windows 10

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/159679/en-us

Can you try the Studio driver?  442.92 is the latest for Windows 10

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/159679/en-us

It seems to work. Thank you very much