Once again Daz 4 proves that it cant do anything right

Why dont you guys just improve on Daz 3? I never had these kinds of problems with that!!!!

Okay, for context I posted a thread earlier about how the CMS fails when i try to migrate my content database. No one has a solution yet but I digress.

Now the most awesome thing that Daz 4.6 is doing is this!

I saved a scene (14 hours of work btw) and encountered no errors. I even made a backup, thats how smart I am!

I try to open it 15 minutes later and I get an error message and it gives me this wonderfully helpful information:
Error reading file, see log for more details.

I look at the log files and here's what it tells me:

*** Scene Cleared ***
Json Parser (10091036,22): Syntax Error - expected ',' or '}'

Everything about Daz 4.0 and beyond is broken!

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,322
    edited December 1969

Make a copy of the file. If you chose the compression option unzip it - using the Batch Convert pane in DS or any archive tool (I use 7 Zip). Open in a text editor. Try adding a final } at the very end, save, and try opening in DS (you will probably need to replace the .duf extension if you unzipped the file). Whether or not that helps, please open a support ticket as a bug report, attaching the bad file.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Why dont you guys just improve on Daz 3? I never had these kinds of problems with that!!!!

Okay, for context I posted a thread earlier about how the CMS fails when i try to migrate my content database. No one has a solution yet but I digress.

Now the most awesome thing that Daz 4.6 is doing is this!

I saved a scene (14 hours of work btw) and encountered no errors. I even made a backup, thats how smart I am!

I try to open it 15 minutes later and I get an error message and it gives me this wonderfully helpful information:

I look at the log files and here's what it tells me:

*** Scene Cleared ***
    Json Parser (10091036,22): Syntax Error - expected ',' or '}'

Everything about Daz 4.0 and beyond is broken!

As far as I know you can not Migrate the CMS database. But you can Install the CMS after a full clean uninstall and then Install again using the Places you prefer and then Build a new Database. The CMS does come as a separate install now. And if the Content paths in DAZ Studio are not set up properly content will fail, if Files are saved to Folders outside a mapped Content folder those also can fail if the Data can not be read. I have been using DAZ Studio from DS2, I still use DS3A 32 bit DS3A 64 bit and DS4.6 32 bit and DS4.6 64 bit at this very time. All four installed. All four set up to my preferences and all four fully functioning. The major issues I found were not in the DAZ3D programs but in the changes in the OS. Example: No Content can be in the Programs Files folders any longer as those areas are now protected by the OS and DOES cause errors in DS (All versions). Other than that I have had no issues setting up my 4 running versions to the way I want them to work, (of course the 32 bit and 64 bit versions share settings so its really only two set ups.)
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    The major issues I found were not in the DAZ3D programs but in the changes in the OS. Example: No Content can be in the Programs Files folders any longer as those areas are now protected by the OS and DOES cause errors in DS (All versions). Other than that I have had no issues setting up my 4 running versions to the way I want them to work, (of course the 32 bit and 64 bit versions share settings so its really only two set ups.)

Don't forget the addition of UAC and the somewhat aggressive nature of anti-malware apps, these days, adding to the headaches.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Jaderail said:
    The major issues I found were not in the DAZ3D programs but in the changes in the OS. Example: No Content can be in the Programs Files folders any longer as those areas are now protected by the OS and DOES cause errors in DS (All versions). Other than that I have had no issues setting up my 4 running versions to the way I want them to work, (of course the 32 bit and 64 bit versions share settings so its really only two set ups.)

Don't forget the addition of UAC and the somewhat aggressive nature of anti-malware apps, these days, adding to the headaches.Very very much a Double NOD to that!!

• edited December 1969

Make a copy of the file. If you chose the compression option unzip it - using the Batch Convert pane in DS or any archive tool (I use 7 Zip). Open in a text editor. Try adding a final } at the very end, save, and try opening in DS (you will probably need to replace the .duf extension if you unzipped the file). Whether or not that helps, please open a support ticket as a bug report, attaching the bad file.

Thanks for the help!

I don't quite understand. I tried opening the copy of my .duf file in notepad and it was all blank. I'd love to recover this file so if you could clarify, I'd truly appreciate it!

edited December 1969

First...what's the size of the file?

• edited December 1969

Just 87 MB.

edited December 1969

Just 87 MB.

Notepad (as in the Windows version, not notepad++ or anything) doesn't handle large files very well. For Windows,Wordpad, which should be included, does...or one of the replacement text editors...like notepad++

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,322
    edited December 1969

"Just" 87MB? That's pretty large - I guess you must have some legacy (fourth generation or before) or converted content in there.

edited December 1969

For a long time notepad had a 32 MB limit...not sure if it still does, but I haven't used it in so long, it doen't much matter to me.

But if it can handle an 87 MB file, it will take forever to show any text in it, especially if word wrap is on by default. Basically that means it will sit there with an apparently blank document with a flashing cursor, for anywhere from several minutes to over an hour...