Scene Merge is breaking the character texture map?

I'm new to DAZ, but not to 3d rendering.

Sometimes, when I merge a Scene-Subset that contains a single G2 character, the merged character's texture map appears to be offset somehow. This causes the character to be difficult to work with in the editor. However, when I render the character, the correct texture is applied if doesn't crash the render.

It only appears to happen when I have other certain characters already merged into the scene. Some characters appear to effect others, that is, a single character merge always works, it just happens when I already have a merged character in the scene, but I'm guessing. If I could reattach the texture map so I could work with it I would be happy.

I searched the forum and didn't find a search match for this problem, sorry if this is a known issue with a workaround. Please point me to the relevant documentation. I'm not doing anything complicated, just a few simple G2 characters.

I'm running DAZ 4.6 pro on XP with a 32 bit processor, I'm not sure what my GPU might be doing.

I've included an image.

Thanks for your help -

broken_texture_map.jpg
357 x 483 - 29K

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

That looks more like the UV set being used has changed, than anything else.

For the 'messed up' character, look on the Surfaces pane, to see which UV set he's using. If he's supposed to be using M6 and he's set to M5 or V4 or something else, just switch the UV set, there will be a drop down box with the available options.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 2013

TIP: Lock your UV setting Before you save a figure that will be merged again at a latter date. Also Merging a figure that is using a texture that is already in the Scene can cause UV errors. Even if the UV was locked. Not always, it depends on FREE ram at merge.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • zxw55_c4ab6d6810zxw55_c4ab6d6810 Posts: 5
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the response. I checked the UV set and, for this particular character, it was "Base Female" and that is what it was for a non broken character, so I think this is correct. The strange thing is, it's just the preview that's broken, it usually renders fine. See image.

broken_map_2.jpg
    275 x 314 - 22K
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

That is a OpenGL driver issue then.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    That is a OpenGL driver issue then.

Yep...check for a driver update for your video card.

Speaking of which...what GPU do you have, it could also be that you are running out of memory and/or buffer space.

edited December 1969

I probably have an old driver, I'll look into it. Many thanks!

edited December 1969

I have an old Nvidia 8800 GTS, it may not be able to handle it. I recently got back into 3D because I'm building a new system that will use an AMD HD7990 GPU, so I'll be able to render better and faster. Anyhow, that project won't be complete until this summer. In the meantime I'm goofing around with Blender and Daz.

I loaded the latest Nvidia driver and I'm still seeing the problem. However, many thanks anyhow, my renders are 10 times faster so there was a good side to all this. LOL

edited December 1969

You may be running out of memory or buffer space then...especially if it is smaller than a 1 GB version of the card.